The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Wordsworth
View Profile
Veteran user
324 Posts

Profile of Wordsworth
Quote:
On Jan 10, 2017, magicfish wrote:
The hardcover is better value in my opinion.

You're not a big ebook fan, magicfish?
I prefer the real thing, by far, but have to admit that I've picked up a few L&L ebooks very cheaply in the past.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
It's a wonderful book, full of gems, but admittedly a little unpleasant to read. Maxwell was a video guy, not a writer. I discovered too that Richard Kaufman was about to make it but Larry was not pleased by the terms of the contract, financially speaking. That is not important. The contents are. And so Larry's magic. So thanks to Maxwell to have done this job anyway.
His magic is timeless. You can put the gem in a modern setting and a new life of those tricks will be born and shine for,years to come.
DavidJComedy
View Profile
New user
Boston, MA
79 Posts

Profile of DavidJComedy
I disagree. Having been in magic for 34 years since age 4, I certainly appreciate classics and, in fact, this was the purpose of my purchasing this book. Though I have only worked through 5-6 of the effects, not only is the writing laborious and awful, but some of the effects are, simply, lame. Larry often time seeems to also add a move, just for the sake of doing a move. What is that, an ego stroke? (See Collectors 1). You get a break below 3 cards, then immediately bring to 2? Why not just start at 2?? I guess I really don't appreciate the value of the effects in this book. I am quite disappointed. And before some of you criticize that, I learn from several other books which contain what you would consider classics and valuable material.
David
davidjcomedy.com
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I agree that Mike Maxwell is not the best writer in the magic community (nor the worst). I recently picked up Jennings 67 (I have a different thread about it) one of my only hangups with that one is that it seems that more than once, a move is casually explained with a note that in one of two "upcoming books" it will be explained in greater detail. It looks as though neither were ever written. However, a member posted the other day what part of the reason may be and that the one book (at least, hopefully a combination of the two in one big book) may actually be written and marketed later this year. Hopefully, it happens. I would even be ok with a 2018 release, just get it out there to "complete" the first book.

I notice a lot of parts in Jennings 67 where he goes over several different ways to get to the same point (as you say about "Collectors 1" in the "Classic Magic of... book) but they are properly and purposely done in the perspective of "this was the history of how the effect started and how he relentlessly strived to make the effect better as well as walk you thru the timeline of his "creative process". Maybe Kaufman did a better job of getting of letting the reader know "why" so many changes to get there than Mr Maxwell did.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
slowdini
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of slowdini
I heard from a very reliable source that the Jennings books are written but the delay is with getting all the photographs taken and scanned...
Benmorrisrains
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Benmorrisrains
Kaufman himself has said that a few times on The Genii forum and here I believe...
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On May 2, 2017, DavidJComedy wrote:
I disagree. Having been in magic for 34 years since age 4, I certainly appreciate classics and, in fact, this was the purpose of my purchasing this book. Though I have only worked through 5-6 of the effects, not only is the writing laborious and awful, but some of the effects are, simply, lame. Larry often time seeems to also add a move, just for the sake of doing a move. What is that, an ego stroke? (See Collectors 1). You get a break below 3 cards, then immediately bring to 2? Why not just start at 2?? I guess I really don't appreciate the value of the effects in this book. I am quite disappointed. And before some of you criticize that, I learn from several other books which contain what you would consider classics and valuable material.

Lame? I hope by lame you mean some of the greatest material ever published. If so, I agree it is lame.
DavidJComedy
View Profile
New user
Boston, MA
79 Posts

Profile of DavidJComedy
Quote:
On May 11, 2017, magicfish wrote:
Quote:

Lame? I hope by lame you mean some of the greatest material ever published. If so, I agree it is lame.

Well not if you're performing in the 70s. Modern audiences don't follow nor appreciate card effects like these.
David
davidjcomedy.com
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
I really don't know what to think about your last comment David. If modern audiences can't appreciate those effects anymore, magic in artistic way will die soon, if not already. Or maybe those effects don't suit your style. I see davidcomedy. So my supposition.
It made me sad to read that.
DavidJComedy
View Profile
New user
Boston, MA
79 Posts

Profile of DavidJComedy
Shouldn't make you said my friend, just to make people realize times are changing and we as performers need to recognize that. Maybe this is why we no longer have silent movies. Just saying.
David
davidjcomedy.com
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Beauty and art will never change. Only the expression of them.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
If you see a modern mime act (silent ), you will (re)discover how expressive and powerful it can be.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On May 11, 2017, DavidJComedy wrote:
Quote:
On May 11, 2017, magicfish wrote:
Quote:

Well not if you're performing in the 70s. Modern audiences don't follow nor appreciate card effects like these.

Really? Is that why today's top professionals are still performing this material to put bread on the table?
Try doing Jennings' Impossible from this book and see the reaction you get. Or Instant Aces. Or the Mystery Card. Or Travelers. Or Always Cut the Cards. Or Ambitious Card. Or Triumph. Or The General Card. Or the Visitor. Or Prefiguration.
These are incredibly powerful, well constructed, timeless creations from one of the true masters of our craft.
If the material isn't working for you, it is because you are not performing it.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Oh and as far as magic from decades ago for "today's" audiences goes,
Some guy named David Blaine made millions performing Eddie Fechter's Be Honest, What is It?
Some of the kids today are calling it 2 Card Monte.
If you want fresh and new, blow the dust off the old books.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
Mike Maxwell made a lot of errors in writing The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings--a huge number. As I describe new versions of Jennings effects and routines, I will be correcting as many of these as I can. Maxwell had never written any technical sleight of hand material before--he wrote résumés for people. So the fault with his botching up the writing should be laid at the feet of the person who hired him.

Jason England has agreed to pose for the photos for the new Jennings books, and he has hands very much like Larry's. We will be shooting the photos sometime this fall. Release in 2018.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Hopefully Any Ace Called For will be included. Great trick. Never been able to decipher Maxwell's write up.
Shikina
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
260 Posts

Profile of Shikina
Quote:
Modern audiences don't follow nor appreciate card effects like these.

Let's make the following deal, name a trick from this book, and I'll learn it and post a video of me frying a modern spectator with it. While I can appreciate the fact that Mike Maxwell is not the world's greatest writer (he was neither its best magician or video producer but I'm thankful he tried his hand in all of it), I've learned so many wonderful routines from this book, that I can't get behind the generally dismissive attitude of the original post. Not every book is for every person, and certainly much of this material could've used some streamlining or reduction in moves. But if that's all you're seeing when you read this book then you're missing the forest for the trees.
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1328 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
Quote:
On May 27, 2017, Shikina wrote:
Quote:
Modern audiences don't follow nor appreciate card effects like these.

Let's make the following deal, name a trick from this book, and I'll learn it and post a video of me frying a modern spectator with it.

Okay....."ambidextrous travellers" ☺
HeronsHorse
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
207 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
Well that was interesting.
I'm now reading this, as a beginner of almost 2 years and I'm not having trouble so far. I was very surprised to read David's comments to be honest.

Come on then Shikina!
Well oiled Reset
There's an easy one!
Anyway, I am falling in love with Jennings. I like the similarity to Roy Walton in certain effects and handling. Brilliant!
Quote of the Month
Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks are strangers to magic. Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained."
- S.H. Sharpe
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
The material is great. The writing is a bit ... not so great.
A really good book tho.

I didn’t find anything difficult to understand.

Here’s a post from a loooong time ago
where I mimicked the writing style. See if you don’t agree.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......214178#2
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL