The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Float a Buck? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
snedglow
View Profile
New user
Pine Grove, PA
94 Posts

Profile of snedglow
I'd like to hear some ideas on how to quickly be prepared to float a dollar bill at a moment's notice.
Or, it would be equally interesting to discuss how you set up to float a bill in a show-type atmosphere.

The IT is great, but how do you set it up???

I thought it might be an interesting topic to discuss.

Thanks, everyone!
-Randy
[email]rsnedden@closeupmagic.org[/email]
Smile
~~~~~
“Chance is but the pseudonym of God for those particular cases which He does not choose to subscribe to openly with His own signature ... ”
JackDaniel
View Profile
Veteran user
nevada
376 Posts

Profile of JackDaniel
Most impromptu way has to be using Loops or to carry a ITR, on stage/show, oh,well! that's another story, then you have all the time in the world.
Check the "threads,reels...." section. I'm sure you'll find what you are looking for (more freely discussions).
Jack.
Visit the magic of Vegas and your life will change forever..
Lesault
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Lesault
[Deleted due to my stupidity!] sorry
davejesc
View Profile
New user
David Juraschek
83 Posts

Profile of davejesc
I love my Kevlar Pen Reel.

This looks like an ordinary ballpoint pen and sits in my shirt pocket. The KPR lets me be set up to do any small object levitation at any time almost anywhere. Of course, you have to wear a polo or other shirt with a breast pocket.

Occasionally, I fload a buck, but I prefer to float other objects that are normally found in the venue I'm at. Straw wrapper, napkin, tissue, candy wrapper, etc.

I think that the impact of taking a piece of "trash" and floating it is stronger than a buck, but will do a buck too if the moment is right.

Anyway, for a great use ITR, the Kevlar Pen Reel is tops. Lots o shops have 'em. I got mine from Hank Lee's.

-Dave
jaxonlee
View Profile
New user
Butte, MT
71 Posts

Profile of jaxonlee
Kennedy's Floating Bill is a great way of floating a bill with little preparation. Angles and lighting, as usual, are a bit dodgy, though.
ziatro
View Profile
Veteran user
Havant, England
322 Posts

Profile of ziatro
For me the best impromptu way of floating a bill is using the Jon LeClair method, which can be found in the book "The art of invisible thread" or the video "Who's afraid of invisible thread". I had been looking for a quick and clean way of floating a bill digesting "tons" of literature on the way. As soon as I discovered his way I knew it was absolutely right for me. I really can't praise his method too highly, as I do it all the time. You can use his method stark naked (heaven forbid) and it still would be completely undetectable. Hope this helps.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5269 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I don’t bother much with the IT method of floating a buck especially for a caught off guard, impromptu moment. I prefer a couple of old techniques. No loops, no IT or any “T” for that matter!

A bill is borrowed opened flat and laid across the palm of your hand. It is not crumpled into a ball or even folded in half on the bias just laid flat!

Now a little magic Mumbo-Jumbo a snap of the fingers (of the free hand) and the bill slowly lifts away from the out stretched palm and floats several inches above the hand. A second bill or credit card is passed under the floating bill to show that there is no connection to the hand. The bill slowly floats back down and is handed back to the person who loaned it. No IT, nothing to be seen, no worry about lighting or shirt, quick, easy, and magical!

Or how about something totally different (another older than mud trick!)? Borrow a bill and lay it on top of yours. Hold both by your fingertips and parallel to the floor. Now slowly pull the top bill to one side, inch by inch until it is only touching the bottom bill by one small corner. It seems to be floating right out there in midair! And no IT!!! You carry this in your wallet ready to go at a moments notice!

Mike Bornstein has been performing both of these tricks for three or four decades now. They can be found in his books.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
bjiamin
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of bjiamin
Ammar's ETMTM-Vol3 covers a nice floating bill with a great hook up, might want to look into that
qenny
View Profile
New user
Scotland - New Zealand - London
57 Posts

Profile of qenny
Those Mike Bornstein books sound interesting - any idea who stocks them?
Qenny
Sleightly Twisted
davejesc
View Profile
New user
David Juraschek
83 Posts

Profile of davejesc
If the buck (or other stiffish paper object) is relatively new (and crisp) you can levitate it between both hands - and have it float out momentarily towards your audience with no hook ups at all. The effect can't be sustained long, but is impressive - especially as you can take one hand completely away. This is angle dependent, though. I think Sankey uses this method on one of his videos/dvds. I suspect it uses the Bornstein method, although I am unfamiliar with Mr. Bornsteins work.
ljgrant
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of ljgrant
I used to do this kind of thing a lot using the Finn Jon
Loops.

The only trick is to crumple the bill, and find your loop.

I find they last well, as in their non-performing state they don't get snagged or broken.
King Of Pop
View Profile
Veteran user
Estonia
392 Posts

Profile of King Of Pop
Useing loops is best way for doing that kind of tricks and illusions Smile
God Bless You, I Love You From The Bottom Of My Heart
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1296 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Losander has a very good method and presentation of this "impromptu" miracle also.
Check out his website for details. I saw his routines at his lecture a few motnhs ago and was very impressed.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Maaaagic!
View Profile
New user
Maidenhead, UK
41 Posts

Profile of Maaaagic!
A loop looks fantastic. I wanted to try it last weekend but before I got a chance one of the girls I was out with suddenly asked why I had a pube tied around my wrist. I read in the instructions that I could leave it there all day an no-one would ever know. Case of bad luck I guess, so be warned - or don't hang out with the type of girls I do.
LordM
View Profile
Loyal user
Portugal
232 Posts

Profile of LordM
Loops is the most pratical and easyest way to do it! No question about it!
Kind Regards,
JP

http://www.joaopedroso.com
lil_magic
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of lil_magic
The setup I use is the across the chest hook up so I can have it on all day and whenever I can float a bill
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
Can you really use IT to float a buck? Those things must weigh over 300 pounds! LOL! Sorry. Couldn't resist. Smile

Phil
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
Zac Vee
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveling the world with
370 Posts

Profile of Zac Vee
I use Ammar's video method, from my ear to the button of my jacket , and just slip it to my middle finger nail when want to float a buck , I mean dollar hahahah
peace, love and kindness.. no terms and conditions

1001 Magic Nights Blog
www.kasrani1.wordpress.com

http://www.kasrani.com/
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
I enjoy and carry Kennedy's z-webs. It's compact and ready to go.
~Joe
AqueousMagiK
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of AqueousMagiK
THE LECLAIR ANIMATOR
you can do a lot more than just float a buck
Aaron Farrugia
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Float a Buck? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL