The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Mind Gems Brain Trust (33 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3920 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Go to Google right now. Search the word "billet." See what you come up with. Go ahead. I'll wait here.

la la la la la (This is me singing to myself while I wait.)

Done? Okay.

IF you did search that word, you won't find a single reference that defines it the way mentalists do. In my early days of learning about mentalism the "b" word was a constant irritant. I had no idea what these guys were talking about -- although it sounded like something that was pretty important.

It was thinking back to those days that got me excited about a new project called the Mind Gems Brain Trust. Along with a number of other performers, I have spent the past five months working to bring this together.

The Big Idea? What if you could go one-on-one with some of the top minds in mentalism?

What if you could get coaching directly from Richard Osterlind on how to develop a Corinda routine for modern audiences...or have Marc Salem, a guy who is selling out his mentalism show on Broadway RIGHT NOW, give you advice on how to market YOUR show?

What if you could sit down and pick Lee Earle's brain on what makes an effective seance...or have Atlas Brookings explain the nuances of his mind-blowing Train Tracking creation?

Are you a budding "reader?" Why not spend a little time with the past president of the PEA? Tony Razzano has been doing readings for decades. I know that when I spent just one hour with Tony at a recent convention, the things I learned revolutionized the way I approached readings.

Get coaching on how to develop your sales material, build an effective website...how to SELL your show from guys who have been making a living selling mentalism for their whole career.

The biggest names in mentalism have agreed to be a part of this project. Twelve experts are sitting ready to help, coach and advise you on any topic you would like help with.

The site officially launches on Sunday, November 13th at noon. That is when MGBT will be accepting memberships. The membership for the ENTIRE first year is $10. In November of 2017, the site will be going to a monthly membership fee.

This isn't a place for everyone. It's specifically designed for mentalists of all experience levels who want to hone their skills.

A link is in my signature below. I hope to see you there.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18818 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Good luck with it, everybody!
I've asked to be banned
seamagu
View Profile
Special user
859 Posts

Profile of seamagu
Sounds really interesting, I'll b checking it out for sure
I love post its Smile
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
549 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
This sounds great! I can't wait! Good job, and good luck!
rev_marcus
View Profile
New user
Just getting started with
95 Posts

Profile of rev_marcus
This sounds like it might be a very good resource.
Colin johnson
View Profile
New user
Mishawaka, IN
64 Posts

Profile of Colin johnson
So looks like 10$ membership to get access to them then pay a separate mentorship/counseling fee for the actual time spent with them am I correct in understanding how that works?
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1161 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Where do I sign?
Lakewood, Ohio
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3473 Posts

Profile of takeachance
WOW, what a great opportunity. I'll be taking this up. Wonderful
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3473 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2016, Colin johnson wrote:
So looks like 10$ membership to get access to them then pay a separate mentorship/counseling fee for the actual time spent with them am I correct in understanding how that works?

That's what it sounds like plus

("Quote")
What resources do we offer?
Access to our Faculty, which includes Atlas Brookings, Christopher Taylor, David Thiel, Jheff, Kennard Chandler, Lee Earle, Marc Salem, Paul Prater, Richard Osterlind, TC Tahoe, Tony Razzano and Sheree Zielke
A steadily growing number of "members only" resources. Many of these are provided at no charge to our members
A Mentalist Marketplace with resources -- many offered at exclusive discounts to Mind Gems Brain Trust members only
A Blog where you will be invited to share ideas with our Faculty on a number of different topics or get information on topics you are interested in knowing more about.
A deep discount on our upcoming eBook with contributions from our Faculty
News and Reviews from our membership and Faculty on the latest developments and offerings in mentalism and the mystery arts
An opportunity to network with performers from all over the world
A drama-free place where you can grow your skills in mentalism
A positive place where you can GROW ("End of quote")

Worth every cent and more IMHO
Colin johnson
View Profile
New user
Mishawaka, IN
64 Posts

Profile of Colin johnson
No doubt about it worth it.
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
549 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
I'd pay the membership fee just based on the "drama-free" aspect alone.

But in all seriousness, this sounds really great. I probably won't ever be able to afford any coaching sessions, but it sounds like the other membership benefits are worth much more than the $10 fee.
I am looking forward to checking it all out!
russellajallen
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of russellajallen
Sounds like an exciting project and something which will be very beneficial to a relatively newcomer like me. I'll be signing up for sure!
NeverMind
View Profile
Loyal user
Right up there. On the stage.
235 Posts

Profile of NeverMind
This looks like a genuine and great concept. Am surely interested. But how to register?
It is better to be trusted than liked.
Under promise. Over perform.
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3473 Posts

Profile of takeachance
The very first post

"The site officially launches on Sunday, November 13th at noon."
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
12 top names?
I guess it would be on it's place to define the term "top names"
From my own definition I found three, maybe four.

...but by all means, this might be a good idea with the right people on board.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3363 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Nov 12, 2016, Sven Rygh wrote:
12 top names?
I guess it would be on it's place to define the term "top names"
From my own definition I found three, maybe four.

...but by all means, this might be a good idea with the right people on board.

There are certainly at least a couple of names there who are at the very top of the mentalism profession. The chance for a private coaching session with them would be wonderful for any aspiring professional.
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Martin

I agree, but I guess I would be very much wrong if I said that it is impossible to buy their coaching unless you are a member here.

It is interesting to observe, by the way,
Every second mentalist and their grandmother seem to be selling coaching hours these days.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3363 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
I would agree Sven that we seem to have got the balance between "show" and "biz" rather wrong on the Café these days, but a private session with some of the names above would be invaluable for anyone looking to turn professional or progress professionally.

As ever with these things, the devil will be in the detail.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3920 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
It's the strangest thing: I usually make my posts here with my iPad or my iPhone...but for some reason, I can only sign in on my computer, which is at my house. I've been able to read the posts here...but not respond to them until I got home this morning.

To be completely honest: I have no idea what is going to happen with MGBT. It could become a valuable resource to the community...or it could fall flat on its face. I can't even guess what's going to happen. It completely depends on what you guys (which is Canadian for "y'all") want to do with it. I hope it becomes a place where you can go to learn -- not just from our coaches, but from each other and the resources we are posting...and the ideas that will be exchanged in the blogs, from contributing and sharing unbiased news and reviews in a drama free environment.

Months have been spent recruiting these Coaches. Every single one has an area of expertise. You may not be familiar with someone like Kennard Chandler, for example. But he's a performer who has been making a great living doing nothing but mentalism for decades. I spent some time with him at the PEA event in Portland and his expertise and creativity blew me away. I worked hard to get him onto the Faculty. I expect that you are familiar with most of the names...but they weren't invited to be on the Faculty unless they had a proven track record and real world experience. Every single one of them works in the real world or they wouldn't be there.

I would LOVE to see solid relationships develop between mentors and students that goes way beyond MGBT. That's at the heart of the whole Coaching plan: putting the right student together with the right Coach.

Memberships? We kicked that idea around a lot. Was it fair to ask people to tell us about themselves before we gave them access? The conclusion? MGBT isn't for everyone. It's not supposed to be. We want to create a closed community of people who want to grow their skills in mentalism...where ideas can be exchanged with freedom and without drama. There was no way to make this happen without asking for information about the person who wanted to be a part of MGBT. A while back I commented on another thread that I wished there was a place where performers could talk about mentalism like gentlemen. This is it.

The above doesn't diss the Café in any way, in case you were wondering. I still think this is a wonderful place. I cut my teeth here and coming around to see what's happening is a part of my daily routine. MGBT is just a different resource.

As for the membership fee? We settled on ten dollars for the whole first year because throughout this year we will be growing our Resource page, our Blog (which introduces a topic -- either from the Faculty or a member and a discussion follows)... What I'm saying is that MGBT is brand new and the most valuable contributions are likely to come from our membership. Ten dollars for the whole first year didn't seem out of line. This is less than a dollar a month. I mean...really? (We'll even get a forum up -- if I can figure out a way to put it in.)

No one is getting rich from doing this. Making money isn't the idea. Creating another resource for mentalists who are serious about mentalism IS the idea. Most of you guys know me and have an idea of what I'm about.

We have a number of applications already. The site doesn't open until tomorrow at noon. Thank you to those who have jumped the gun because seeing you warms my heart.

So do with this site whatever you want to. It's yours now.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3363 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
"A while back I commented on another thread that I wished there was a place where performers could talk about mentalism like gentlemen. This is it"

You'll have to forgive me, but I'm afraid that does rather sound as if you're saying people don't discuss things here like gentlemen. And one hopes women will also be allowed onto the course you're selling?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Mind Gems Brain Trust (33 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL