The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Mind Gems Brain Trust (33 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jheff
View Profile
V.I.P.
395 Posts

Profile of Jheff
Quote:
On Nov 12, 2016, Martin Pulman wrote:
"A while back I commented on another thread that I wished there was a place where performers could talk about mentalism like gentlemen. This is it"

You'll have to forgive me, but I'm afraid that does rather sound as if you're saying people don't discuss things here like gentlemen. And one hopes women will also be allowed onto the course you're selling?

As one of the faculty members, let me just say that it is difficult for many pros to discuss mentalism on a forum which is open to the public, for the most part. And there are performers who value their wisdom and time and would prefer to be very particular about who to impart such knowledge. These are some of the reasons why the site was created. On a private forum that you have to pay for, the atmosphere is very different.

As for saying "people don't discuss things here like gentlemen," I'm a bit biased since there were some quite nasty things said about me on the Magic Café this past summer, things which not only should not have been said and which were specious, but were violations of Magic Café policy. One of those people who lashed out at me, in fact, has already posted on this thread questioning this venture. It is these types of heated discussions that are why many pros are just not here anymore on this forum on a regular basis.

I know that when I started in mentalism, I would gladly invest a hundred dollars or two in having someone with experience point me in the right direction. In fact, I did have someone, because I live in Southern California and the Magic Castle has plenty of names that will be more than glad to offer advice. But others aren't as lucky. To me, spending a hundred dollars for solid advice that will help my performance career is worth more than spending a hundred dollars or more on the latest trick. If you're a hobbyist, then this probably isn't for you. But if you want to be a pro at performing mentalism, readings, etc., then this is a golden opportunity that shouldn't be passed up.

- Jheff
Marketplace of the Mind THE LAZY MENTALIST'S CARD TRICK is now available!!
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3403 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Nov 12, 2016, Jheff wrote:
Quote:
"A while back I commented on another thread that I wished there was a place where performers could talk about mentalism like gentlemen. This is it"

You'll have to forgive me, but I'm afraid that does rather sound as if you're saying people don't discuss things here like gentlemen. And one hopes women will also be allowed onto the course you're selling?

As for saying "people don't discuss things here like gentlemen," I'm a bit biased since there were some quite nasty things said about me on the Magic Café this past summer, things which not only should not have been said and which were specious, but were violations of Magic Café policy. One of those people who lashed out at me, in fact, has already posted on this thread questioning this venture. It is these types of heated discussions that are why many pros are just not here anymore on this forum on a regular basis.

- Jheff

And yet, despite the Café being such an un-gentlemanly place, unworthy of serious professionals, the "pros" always pop in to sell their latest stuff.

Funny that.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3913 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Quote:
On Nov 12, 2016, Sven Rygh wrote:
12 top names?
I guess it would be on it's place to define the term "top names"
From my own definition I found three, maybe four.

...but by all means, this might be a good idea with the right people on board.

Thank you.
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
3913 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Quote:
Quote:
On Nov 12, 2016, Jheff wrote:
Quote:

- Jheff

And yet, despite the Café being such an un-gentlemanly place, unworthy of serious professionals, the "pros" always pop in to sell their latest stuff.

Funny that.

Thank you.
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.magicpendulums.com
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3403 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Thank you for what?
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Successful Braintrust:

Not so successful Braintrust:

May your venture be more of the former and less of the latter! Best of luck!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Special user
In Your Thots
504 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
Imo, this seems like a good idea, worth exploring. At best we can learn and improve. At worst, we could lose $10 (I mean if I am unable to manage even a $10 worth learning from this). A win-win-no loss situation, I think.
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
Jheff
View Profile
V.I.P.
395 Posts

Profile of Jheff
Quote:
despite the Café being such an un-gentlemanly place, unworthy of serious professionals,

I never said the Café was "unworthy of serious professionals" and would never say such a thing. Not wanting to get involved with heated discussions and deeming a group of people or place unworthy are two totally different concepts. I'm surprised that someone like you would even think that. But, in making this wildly specious assumption, you're deftly proving my point. So, I'll thank you.

- Jheff
Marketplace of the Mind THE LAZY MENTALIST'S CARD TRICK is now available!!
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3403 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
I think the idea of people receiving direct coaching and mentoring from mentalism professionals is a potentially wonderful one. I said so above.

But I see the original comment about "discussing mentalism like gentleman" to be a form of passive-aggressive moralising. The subsequent "thank you" posts have merely underlined that.

I've been threatened with violence on the Café for posting negative reviews, so the "pros" have had their moments too. But I personally don't think the whole Café should be smeared based on the behaviour of a minority of bozos.

However, I wish this venture the best of luck. If it helps young mentalists to find a unique, original creative voice it will do mentalism a service it badly needs.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
3913 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I wrote to Martin privately to apologize for anything that I said that he found offensive. That's not the way performers should be talking to each other. And it wasn't meant in a nasty fashion to begin with.

In case you were wondering, here's an update: as a lifelong Luddite...and someone who was dreading hours spent on hold with tech support...we now have a private forum at MGBT. This was a goal from the beginning -- to have a place where Faculty and the membership could share ideas and discuss routines, props, methods -- everything -- in a private area that would be free from any drama or negativity. It took hours to create that forum, but it's up now.

The story of how the legendary Lee Earle got into mentalism made me laugh out loud. Here's a hint: "Clowns."

The membership is small -- so far we have accepted just under 20 people -- but I can honestly say that the quality of the membership has been outstanding.

Is this a post designed to "sell" you on MGBT? Of course it is. I'm not trying to sell everyone, though because MGBT is not FOR everyone. And it's not our intent to replace the Café on your radar. This is a wonderful forum. MGBT is just an option with a tighter focus.

We are actively looking for people who are serious in learning more about mentalism. We don't want trolls. We don't want people who are looking to pick a fight -- although passionate debate is encouraged. We aren't looking for armchair experts. It doesn't matter if you are a pro or someone who has never done a show for money in your life. We only care that we get the right people to come and learn and share. That's it.

You can arrange to go one on one with our outstanding Faculty. Of course that costs extra.

But you can also take advantage of the Resources page, the Mentalism Marketplace products -- or chat with our Faculty and other members in our Forum and much more...and this will cost you one membership email and, if you're accepted, ten dollars for the whole first year. That's about 83 cents a month. You think we are in this for the money? Nope. There's no catch. No extra fees. No hidden agenda. No traps.

We are doing this out of an honest respect for mentalism and a desire to work with the people who perform it. How's that for a cunning market strategy?

David

www.magicpendulums.com
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Special user
In Your Thots
504 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
Hi David,

I appreciate your sincere efforts to bring a positive change.

The questions page on MGBT says the site will be open for public and members can ask their friends to explore.

But except the home and the questions page it seems every other page needs a password.

Also, there seems no email id on the site for me send a mail - I can't use outlook.

Can you help me in the right direction please?
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
3913 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Sure. There are more public pages than just the home page and the Questions page.

If you go down to "Meet the Faculty" you will see the full Faculty, along with the topics they feel comfortable coaching in. From that page you can go to each Coach page and see the options each one presents.

The Forum, Marketplace, News & Reviews, Coach Request and Resource pages are password protected.

I will PM you my email address and you can send an email there. Tell us a little about yourself. We're not asking to be elitist or snotty. Not even a little bit. We ask for the email for two reasons. First: the email you send us is what we forward to the Coaches when you ask for a mentoring session. It helps them to get to know something about you before you get started. Second: we are looking for people who sincerely want to learn about mentalism. It doesn't matter if you are a pro or a semi pro...or someone who's never performed for money before. What counts is a sincere desire to learn and share ideas.

We just heard from someone in Asia who says he can't do the mentoring sessions, but he really wants to be a part of the forum so he can learn about specific areas of mentalism. I am thinking the Forum could be a wonderful place to be. It's closed. It's comfortable and it's got wonderful people in it.

David

www.magicpendulums.com
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
557 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
I for one can't stress how happy I am to be a part of this. The forums are a great place and they're already filling up with wonderful conversations and information.

I don't see any reason this undertaking won't be a success.
tctahoe
View Profile
V.I.P.
Lakeland Fl.
702 Posts

Profile of tctahoe
I am also very happy to be a part of this.
Full discloser, I am probably one of the question marks Sven Rygh was talking about Smile
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
3913 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Because I KNOW you were all wondering: the Mind Gems Brain Trust is in full swing.

In the Forum there are members talking with Richard Osterlind, TC Tahoe, Atlas Brookings, Tony Razzano and more members of the Faculty. They are discussing everything from how to develop routines to marketing mentalism to how to do readings, co*d read*ngs, b*llet work. They are trading stories about real life performance stories and MUCH more.

We are well over 30 members now. They get members only discounts on products, the opportunity to go one on one with any of our 12 Faculty members in Mentorship sessions and much more.

Am I trying to "sell" everyone on MGBT? Nope. It's not for everyone. But I am trying to talk serious mentalists of all levels of experience to come, learn and share in a place that welcomes people who are serious about their mentalism.

Again: MGBT is NOT about trying to draw people away from this place.Not at all. It's just a different resource for mentalists to use.

And Again: It's not about making money. The hard cost for our entire first year is ten bucks. That includes all the basic services (including the Forum) is less than 84 cents a month -- so you know it's not about making money. Of course our Faculty charges for their sessions...but that's a valuable option you can choose to take. MGBT is about advancing mentalism and sharing ideas inside of a positive and innovative community. That's it.

If this idea excites you, please contact us. We're looking for the right people.

David

www.magicpendulums.com
Colin johnson
View Profile
New user
Mishawaka, IN
64 Posts

Profile of Colin johnson
This has been one of the best things for myself. It has pushed me forward more then any effectornew coolthing could have so I appreciate a more dedicated place for mentalism to also look at besides the Café.
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
557 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Indeed. I can also say that I am very glad to have joined. Best ten bucks I've ever spent in my life.

It's a real treat to be able to discuss ideas with such talented artists.

I have already learned more than I would have expected at this point.

And it sure doesn't hurt that everyone is civil to one another.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Mind Gems Brain Trust (33 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.32 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL