The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Anneman (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

GaMBiT_101
View Profile
Regular user
Adelaide
145 Posts

Profile of GaMBiT_101
I've been tempted to try effects out of Practical Mental Magic by Ted Anneman, has anyone here had any good results from effects in the book.
"Being able to do tricks, doesn't mean you're able to be Entertaining!"
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
Is that a serious question?
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1255 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Take it as a serious question London.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
GaMBiT_101
View Profile
Regular user
Adelaide
145 Posts

Profile of GaMBiT_101
Don't feel you'll be offending me with a real response guys, I don't study into mentalism. I welcome an explanation of why the book may or may not be worth learning from.

I also ask you excuse my ignorance.
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1255 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
I truly wish I could give you a good answer to this, but I just got his material and have not had an opportunity to digest the material. I can tell you that the effect Seven Keys to Baldpate is an Annemann routine and I was able to create a routine based on this type of premise that won me second place in my first competition. Many of the more experienced professionals could be of better service to you Gambit.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
Gambit,
I was not trying to sound like an *** ****. I was sort of kidding in my last response. But the reason I said that was ... Annemann is one of the most straight forward practical mentalists that ever was. His material is wonderful.

I know some will argue and say it is good learning material but out of date and not practical by today's standards. But Annemann was a great performer . In the hands of the right person, his material can be just as effective as it was 60 somthing years ago.

So, take your time to not just learn , but study the material and mold it to fit you and it should work out just find for you. I don't know what your presentational skill or ability is, but the Annemann stuff could be just as strong, or stronger, than the material you currently use. I hope this was better than my last response.
London
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
mysticz
View Profile
Special user
D.C. metro area
680 Posts

Profile of mysticz
Practical Mental Effects offers a basic grounding in billet work, and IMO this is just one of the reasons that Annemann's great work is still viable today. I learned to use billets by working on and perfecting my performance of "A Day in Your Life," just one of many strong mentalism offerings in this wonderful book.

Joe Z.
Joe Zabel
"Psychic Sorcery"

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

-- Shakespeare's Hamlet I.v. 174-175
Jason Bay
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
117 Posts

Profile of Jason Bay
Also, if you do mentalism with a pack of cards, there are some real gems to be discovered in PMM.

- Jason Bay
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
I think there are some great things in the book to perform as is. The best for me though is what it inspires me to do with what I've read.

Anabelle
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
Annemann... Annemann... Sounds familiar...
GaMBiT_101
View Profile
Regular user
Adelaide
145 Posts

Profile of GaMBiT_101
Thank you for the responses, I'll be sure to do my best, at doing the effects that I choose the justice they deserve.

How does the material in PMM compare to something like Corinda's 13 Steps?
MindExplosion
View Profile
Regular user
Hermiston, Oregon
128 Posts

Profile of MindExplosion
Corinda's "13 Steps to Mentalism" is like the alphabet, with PMM being those first simple words that you learn to spell.

13 Steps focuses more on the techniques, with PMM focusing on putting them together and giving them substance.
Babymagician
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Babymagician
Get the book The Life and Times of a Legend.
It has every trick that Annemann ever invented.
Cornelius
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Cornelius
Quote:
On 2004-03-25 10:19, London wrote:
Gambit,
I was not trying to sound like an **** ***. I was sort of kidding in my last response. But the reason I said that was ... Annemann is one of the most straight forward practical mentalists that ever was. His material is wonderful . I know some will argue and say it is good learning material but out of date and not practical by todays standards. But Annemann was a great performer. In the hands of the right person, his material can be just as effective as it was 60 somthing years ago.

So, take your time to not just learn, but study the material and mold it to fit you and it should work out just find for you. I don't know what your presentational skill or ability is, but the Annemann stuff could be just as strong, or stronger, than the material you currently use. I hope this was better than my last response.
London

I agree. You can learn everything you need to know about mentalism from Annemann and Corinda.
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
Quote:
On 2004-03-27 01:51, Babymagician wrote:
Get the book The Life and Times of a Legend.
It has every trick that Annemann ever invented.

Babymagician,
It has a ton of material but it is not everything he ever invented. There is a lot of stuff not in the book that I have read in other publications. But yes gambit you should invest in the book . It may seem a bit pricy if you are just starting out in mentalism but is worth every penny.
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Anneman (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL