The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Black Lie Wallet (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
Thanks a lot Kevin !
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3270 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Huh, confused as to how this would work for a peek?
New Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Kevin Wade
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Kevin Wade
Last Laugh:

Hello. I agree with your statement...it looks so innocent. Right? If you have questions, please let me know.

Using Black Lie as a peek device was the main purpose in mind when designing the wallet. It is from playing with the wallet and using it in real life performances that I soon realized it can do so much more. Stealing billets is my second favorite option to utilize. I will continue to emphasize BL as an extremely easy to use peek wallet. If you have not checked it out the ad copy on my webpage lists the additional functions the wallet can achieve. Among other things, due to concept and design BL makes what might be the best pocket writing desk on the market today.

Best Regards,
Kevin
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3270 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Is it possible to see both sides of the wallet?
New Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Kevin Wade
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Kevin Wade
Last Laugh:

That is a very good question. One that probably only a magician would ask. That is why I would want to know the very same thing. Smile

Here is the looooong answer. When I use BL I do not blatantly show both sides. As a previous owner of SUC I quickly found in the flow of actual performance I never exposed the audience to both sides of the wallet. Why? Even though there is really nothing to see with SUC, I always felt strange as though I was having to prove something about the wallet. This action alone could very well put unnecessary emphasis on the wallet, which is the last thing I want, and foster suspicion.

I am not a betting person, but if I where I would wager that if anyone including the 99% of all magicians out there were to see BL in a men's department store they would have no idea that it has been specifically designed in great detail to deceive. You could study every inch inside and out and there is nothing unusual about the wallet. By showing the interior of the wallet as you remove say a business card during the performance, the audience is able to clearly see what appears to be one single opaque compartment. For fun, take another look at the informational video on my website under STORE. Did I show both sides of the wallet?

Although extremely easy to use, Black Lie comes with a 28 page booklet which includes 32 color photos. It goes into great detail regarding the many variations on handling along with a substantial amount of information that covers psychology and motive.

By the way, the name Black Lie was derived from the fact that it is blatantly bold. I hope to some degree this answers your question.

Thank You,
Kevin
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18200 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I think it's being asked is, if it's just a w*Nd*w cut out, then that's really not new and something we have all done, one way or another..

So if you've done something similar in an interesting and unique way, then it would also be good to know...
Kevin Wade
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Kevin Wade
Iain:

Hello. To answer your question the design of Black Lie (to my knowledge) has never been utilized in a wallet. Although I was not aware during the conception of BL, Mark Strivings and then more recently Matt Mello are the only two that have developed something similar. Again, they are not using a wallet.

So yes, I would say it is unique.

Thank you,
Kevin
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2208 Posts

Profile of NeilS
As well as offering a clear sighted peek, it has certain other features which makes this worthy of consideration in addition to its slim size.

Although I am waiting for mine to arrive, I have been greatly impressed with the excellent customer service (including comprehensive dispatch information) that Kevin has provided.

Neil
Yuan Moons
View Profile
Veteran user
348 Posts

Profile of Yuan Moons
Looks like a wallet version of Matthew Johnsons After Dark envelope.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1399 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2017, Yuan Moons wrote:
Looks like a wallet version of Matthew Johnsons After Dark envelope.

Indeed it does look that way. But in the demo video, he only shows one side of the case.
Kevin Wade
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Kevin Wade
Yuan:

Hello. Black Lie is similar but not the same in design as Matthew Johnson's After Dark envelope. It is my belief, After Dark is predated by a concept Mark Strivings came up with years ago. Details regarding Mr. Strivings device can be found in both Mobile Mentalism 1996 as well as in Mental Mix 2003. In his writings, Mr. Striving states that before his concept he had never seen such a utility device in print.

I am no expert, but after considerable research I have not found anything else close in construction to BL. I did not learn of Mr. Strivings work on this until after coming up with BL and further researching the history of the methods employed.

Thank You,
Kevin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Black Lie Wallet (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL