The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Rudy Coby 4 Legs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

HuronLow
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of HuronLow
Hey has anyone seen that crazy illusion Rudy Coby performed where he appears to have 4 legs and hops around , then saws them off one by one? It's awesome. Is there anywhere I can buy this stage effect? Any information is welcome. Thanks.
The T&R Project.
A revolutionary take on the Torn & Restored card.

Available now at www.HuronLow.com
samuelchong
View Profile
Loyal user
Penang
237 Posts

Profile of samuelchong
You can actually make it by yourself, he's just using 2 fake legs. Watch his show again I believe you can figure it out.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Hey Huron,
Did you catch the fact that you were the magician of the day at Hocus Pocus a last week? I was wondering what you won?
Cheers,
James

Quote:
On 2004-03-25 06:01, hUrOn Low~ wrote:
Hey has anyone seen that crazy illusion Rudy Coby performed where he appears to have 4 legs and hops around , then saws them off one by one? It's awesome. Is there anywhere I can buy this stage effect? Any information is welcome. Thanks.
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

It's true you can easily make the legs routine, but I don't think Rudy Coby has given permission for anyone to use his signature routine. It's his and his alone.

Ron
JuRim
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of JuRim
How about a three or five legs routine? Just joking!Be creative: there is no four arms routine out there!;)
I asked if she like cardtricks. she said:No! I did four...
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Yes I would agree with Ron. I am sure Rudy has not given premission for his routine.

Rudy has been blood sweat and tears into his GREAT routine and it would be not right un ethical for someone to come and do his act.

Besides if you copy someone you are only going to be a good second.

Ken
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1384 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
Rudy's leg routines is one of the most original things the magic world has ever seen. I wouldn't try to imitate it. I just wish I could see Rudy do this live! Is he touring?
JuRim
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of JuRim
He doing a lot of shows here in europe...italy,if I am right but perhaps he has moved on to Asia...
I asked if she like cardtricks. she said:No! I did four...
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
I have actually seen a 3-legged version on a television show/movie a looooong time ago. He pulled his feet out of the shoes one at a time and counted the toes.

s
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
As for there "not being a 4 arms routine"...you might wanna take that up with Mike Caveney.

Steve Thomas
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
760 Posts

Profile of Shawn Farquhar
In actual fact a three legged routine dates long before Rudy was even born. A gentleman by the name of Rolf Harris did it for years on US tv and and around the world. He even recorded an album with the song "Jake the Peg".

Rudy did add another leg and used it as a magic effect but lets keep history straight. Let me also make it clear that I don't think Rolf Harris created it either. Visit Rolf Harris at http://www.rolfharris.com

Lyrics were as follows:
Rolf Harris - Jake the Peg
============================

[Chorus:]
I'm Jake the Peg, diddle-iddle-iddle-um
With my extra leg, diddle-iddle-iddle-um
Wherever I go through rain and snow
The people always let me know
There's Jake the peg, diddle-iddle-iddle-um
With his extra leg, diddle-iddle-iddle

The day that I born (oh boy) my father nearly died
He couldn't get my nappies on, how matter how he tried
'Cos I was born with an extra leg, and since that day begun
I had to learn to stand on my own three feet
Believe me that's no fun

[Chorus]

I had a dreadful childhood really, I s'pose I shouldn't moan
Each time they had a three legged race, I won it on me own
And also I got popular, when came the time for cricket
They used to roll my trousers up
And use me for the wicket

[Chorus]

I was a dreadful scholar, I found all the lessons hard
The only thing I knew for sure, was three feet make a yard
To count to ten I used me fingers, if I needed more
By getting my shoes and socks off
I could count to twenty four

I'm Jake the [stops to count]

...to twenty five

I'm Jake the peg, diddle-iddle-iddle-um
With my extra leg, diddle-iddle-iddle-um
Whatever I did they said was false
They said "quick march" I did the quick waltz
Then they shouted at me "put your best foot forward" - but which foot?
I said "it's very fine for you, you only got a choice of two"
But me, I'm Jake the Peg, diddle-iddle-iddle-um
With the extra leg... diddle-iddle-iddle-um
RVH Magic
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of RVH Magic
The 3 leg routine is an old clown gag & can be found in older clown/variete books.
There is even a version in one of the goldston books of a person sitting in a chair with 3 legs (real ones)
It is possible that there was an 4 leg routine done in Russia before Rudy did them.
but he created the routine he does with it (starting with 4 & to saw them off )
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
I have seen one other person with the four legs. It is usually used by clowns as a gag, and Rudy Coby is the only one I know of who actually has a routine w/ it. The easy part is making and wearing the legs. The hard part is making it believeable (walking smoothly so it's not obvious which legs are which) walking w/ locked knees, and the HARDEST part is the chainsaw gag. He ROCKED at that part. Also at the end where he grow upwards of 12 feet tall. That's just awesome.
HuronLow
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of HuronLow
I watched this live years ago and was blown away. I just couldn't guess which were the real legs and which weren't. And the chainsaw gag is INSANE!! Haha he performs it so well. He doesn't walk around in the legs though, but just hops around. It still looks amazingly good.

If Rudy didn't come up with this idea, then could we use it? Yes we might just be 'a good second' if we perform it but so many stage magicians do the same thing!I'm not encouraging that but this is one of the few routines that are RARELY seen.
I really want to watch it again. I watched it when I was a layman and enjoyed it so much. Are there any videos floating around? Thanks for the replies.

ps Xiqual, I got a $20 voucher from Hocus-pocus and got Bottoms Up free. It's the worst manuscript ever.
The T&R Project.

Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Yeah, that manuscript is old.
but hey $20 bucks is $20 bucks right?

Good on ya Bud!,
Cheers,
James

Quote:

ps Xiqual, I got a $20 voucher from Hocus-pocus and got Bottoms Up free. It's the worst manuscript ever.
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On 2004-03-25 14:39, Shawn Farquhar wrote:
In actual fact a three legged routine dates long before Rudy was even born. A gentleman by the name of Rolf Harris did it for years on US tv and and around the world. He even recorded an album with the song "Jake the Peg".

YES!! That's the guy and song he did!! Thanks!

s
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of 1908
I remember another magician I watched do the same(if I remeber with more legs!)in TV5 in A French program with a lot of other good performers.
Don't wait for the perfect moment...Take a moment and make it perfect!!!
HuronLow
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of HuronLow
Argh! That means it's not exclusive to Rudy Coby. HAha, boy am I getting excited. Could anyone provide a resource of some sort?
The T&R Project.

Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
760 Posts

Profile of Shawn Farquhar
Maybe you missed the point. Or you are just joking but I'm missing the humor.

It has become Rudy's just by the fact he made it famous as part of a magic act.

Now if you want resources so you can do it as a balancing act ... well go for it boy ... but if you plan to do it in the world of magic ... well spend your valuable time on something unique instead of re-inventing a wheel that has already made it's mark.

Can you imagine how much magic there would be if no one was able to see the magic of others?

Shawn "lost at sea" Farquhar
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Rudy Coby 4 Legs (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL