The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Next Steps (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
sam___
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of sam___
Hi all, I would like some advice. I'm a newcomer to mentalism but I am familiar with the basic texts (13 steps and PME). I have also read some more modern tests, Bairn and Mitox (and Yokai) and loved them. As I am just getting started in mentalism but not a complete beginner, what would you recommend I read/watch next? (I'm looking for more stage/parlour stuff)

Cheers,

Sam
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
Look mom, I have
1534 Posts

Profile of E.E.
Have you REALLY read 13 steps? That's an accomplishment in itself.

My recommendation is go read Bob Cassidy's Artful Mentalism 2.

THEN go back to 13 steps.
Professional mentalist and digital artist for mystery performers. check out my work at www.facebook.com/EverElizaldeArtStudio
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Why do you need to read/watch more? You have enough; go practice and perform.

s
sam___
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of sam___
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2016, E.E. wrote:
Have you REALLY read 13 steps? That's an accomplishment in itself.

My recommendation is go read Bob Cassidy's Artful Mentalism 2.

THEN go back to 13 steps.

I've read it in the same sense that everyone else who has it, has. It did get me introduced with some of the basic techniques but found the routines to be too outdated for my liking
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
I agree with the Sponge. You have plenty to be going on with. I would think that the more you learn and perform Mentalism, the more you might disagree with your latter comment about the routines in 13 steps are too outdated.

Classics NEVER get outdated.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
You should watch Chan Canasta's TV appearances, Derren Brown's stage shows and Bob Cassidy's Mental Miracles DVD to see some brilliant and varied mentalism performances.
sam___
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of sam___
Right, I really didn't want mention this but I have cerebal palsy which makes the more common techniques in the classics such as 13 stweps (Center tear, muscle reading, billet switching and especially n**l/s***i writing) REALLY hard for me, no matter how hard I practise. But the approaches I have found in the more modern books suit me and my abilities to a tee
starstruck
View Profile
Regular user
Croatia
111 Posts

Profile of starstruck
When I finished PME and 13 steps, I read Cassidy's Artful Mentalism 2: Fundamentals. This will help you very much, definitely a good next step. In fact, I'm planning to re-read it soon again!
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2016, sam___ wrote:
Right, I really didn't want mention this but I have cerebal palsy which makes the more common techniques in the classics such as 13 stweps (Center tear, muscle reading, billet switching and especially n**l/s***i writing) REALLY hard for me, no matter how hard I practise. But the approaches I have found in the more modern books suit me and my abilities to a tee

Based on that, I would suggest you buy some of Richard Osterlind's DVD's. You really can't go wrong with his teaching and his effects.

Good luck to you whatever you decide.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
sam___
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of sam___
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2016, innercirclewannabe wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2016, sam___ wrote:

Based on that, I would suggest you buy some of Richard Osterlind's DVD's. You really can't go wrong with his teaching and his effects.

Good luck to you whatever you decide.

Which ones though? I've had a look and really don't know which set to get first
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
I second the Osterlind recommendation.

His "easy to master" series is great as well as his "Mind Mysteries." Seriously, it's pretty much impossible to go wrong with any of his videos.
Nestor D
View Profile
Special user
France (Paris)
830 Posts

Profile of Nestor D
I third the osterlind recommendation. My goto recommendation for newcomers in mentalism Smile

(you might want to reread 13steps : the presentations are outdated, you cannot do most of the moves but it is still incredibly rich)
here2009
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of here2009
Osterlind and Banachek. Then, you'll find your natural direction from there.
Escamoteur
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Escamoteur
Mind Mysteries volume 1 is fantastic. One of the first mentalism DVD's I purchased, and still one of my favorites. A treasure in both it's educational and entertainment value.
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2531 Posts

Profile of brehaut
I will go against the grain here a bit. I once posted a thread about how many of us really did it the right way and started with 13 steps, etc. No one did. However, everyone still on here found there way one way or the other. In golf, there is a phrase about "digging it out of the dirt." Meaning instead of trying to read about the perfect swing, taking lesson after lesson, etc---go to the range and experiment and learn what works and doesn't.

I think for mentalism it works too. Get on the café and do a bunch of searches about books and products. See what interests you. You may buy some things that don't work but that is part of the learning curve. See what effects work for your style and what doesn't. It is easy to say read 13 steps and then reread it and you will never need anything else but quite frankly I don't think anyone does that. Do what interests you and prompts your interest and your passion. Good luck!
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1528 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
In my way of thinking the next step is not a book or program but rather picking a direction you wish to learn more about. Then purchase or learn things related to your area of specialty as an example billet work or as in my case meta psychics and fringe which I still research and study extensively. The learning process will never end. However it could be slowed down by learning things unrelated to your pursuit.

I will also say for some areas of study within mentalism and its related arts the 13 steps is useless as are many other works which is another reason to specialize.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
So, not to be insensitive, but what are your actual physical limitations as a performer? I ask so the suggestions can be tailored properly. Also, what are your goals? Do you want to do casual hanging out with buddies stuff or stage performances or start a cult? No value judgement (even on the cult), but your goals make a very big difference here.

So, with techniques you already know, you can fake m*scle r*ading easily in some circumstances. If you can get a look at the bottom card of a deck, you have a k*y card. You can verbally (hands off!) guide a person to take a card from a spread ribbon on the table, gather the deck up, put the selected card on top, and cut the deck. You don't know the card. But you know the one next to it. Now you are set for a lie detector routine if that's your thing. I prefer the faux CMR route. It doesn't matter if you have a palsey. You have the other person spread all the cards on the table, hold your wrist, and just concentrate on his card. Do your best faking it and nail the card right next to it. You can build it up as much as you want with eliminating parts of the spread, narrowing it down to a few cards. But miss it by one. Seriously. After that, everything you do will seem much more genuine. Be honestly disappointed that you got it wrong and let the other person realize that it isn't a trick. Move on to something that will stun.

So, what else? Well, think of particular effects you might want to perform. The section on "supermentality" in 13 Steps has some good stuff on memory work. You can also do lightning calculations. Instead of ignoring your CP, use it as a plot element. Because you have trouble with fine motor control, holding a pencil and doing neat handwriting is (I am assuming, not knowing the extent of your CP - I have known two people who were very different in their functional abilities who both told me they had CP) harder than just learning to use your brain to do things. Work smarter! If you can do lightning calculations, amazing memory, and maybe even a magic square, you can build a stage act around that. Others have done so and done very well. See Arthur Benjamin for an example of how entertaining math can be.

One of my personal favorite effects uses two decks of cards. The participant puts one deck aside and uncases the other. This deck he cuts then deals a few cards from. When he chooses, he stops and has selected a card without you touching anything. Next, he uncases the set-aside deck and spells to his randomly selected card. When he turns it over, he has found the same card. Method is a mix of a Koran 5-Star deck and Magic Vs. Mindreading in PME. I felt so clever when I put those together and then found out it had been done plenty of times before. But I never have to handle the cards after putting the boxed decks on the table. It is all talking. "Think" by Shin Lim is another hands-off card effect. You predict the card a person will choose, in writing, before he picks a number. He does the counting to his number and finds a card. The prediction has been in view the whole time. It is a great effect, if that's your thing.

There are effects that can play to one or two people or to a whole audience that utilize no "moves" at all. Thought Association Card is one example. The word search book to go with it can add to the effect for some presentations.

Some people are uncomfortable with readings, as those are the province of "psychics" instead of mentalists. Others embrace them. You don't need any particular manipulative skill to tell fortunes. You are interpreting an oracle, so you do need a nimble mind. That and a real concern for the lives and feelings of others. Any decent shut-eye book will get you on the right road. I like runes, personally. However, palms and playing cards are great, cheap, and remarkably varied. Again, if you can talk to a person about himself for a few minutes, you can be a reader.

Sadly, there are fewer real magic stores nowadays. I was shown some really good stuff at Williams Magic when they still had a brick and mortar shop. It got me started and I still go to their site when I need something they carry. Plus, they had a copy of a book I wanted when nobody else had any left. From that comes my oft-repeated advice for recently-out-of-print material to call magic shops that have a real shop and ask on the telephone whether there's a copy on the shelf that isn't in the online inventory. (Sorry, that's off topic. However, visiting a shop, telling the people behind the counter what you want to do, what your budget is, and what your limitations are can often result in some great advice, if they are any good at their job.)

But here's where I am trying to go, in my roundabout fashion: what do you picture yourself doing as a mentalist? When you close your eyes and say "this is what I want to do as a mentalist," what do you see yourself doing? Standing in front of a packed auditorium? Sitting with a single person at a little table? Sharing conversations that turn to the odd with a group of friends? Something else? The hardest part about being a mentalist or a magician when starting out is (for me) the vision of where I am trying to go. Pick a goal and you will eliminate a lot of effects, but that means you now have a list of good ones to work from.

-Patrick
sam___
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of sam___
Wow, Thank you guys so much for your replies and advise. Some amazing info! I'm literally about to leave for school now (I should've said I'm 17), but I will reply to everyone as soon as I get home!
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Another heads up for Osterlind's material.

Easy to Master Mental Mysteries takes you through a lot of mentalism's more recent history, and has a lot of great effects.
Since you have read 13 Steps and PME, it would be an idea to invest in one, or both of Osterlinds series on this
You will soon see that not very much of this material is dated.

You should also consider his theory books.
sam___
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of sam___
Thank you guys so much for all your advice. I'm really considering to get Osterlind's ETMMM set now. But I may only be able to get one or two of those, so what do you guy's think are the best volumes out of the 4?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Next Steps (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL