The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Faerie Shilling by Professor BC (117 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
LebanonCircle
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
910 Posts

Profile of LebanonCircle
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2016, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
Sounds fascinating, but I would like to see a video of it in action before I commit to purchasing.

I still remember the fiasco that was "Little Man."

Yes, but Little Man was not a Prof BC release.....
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1345 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
Philemon, I think you are a wise man to be a bit skeptical of claims made in ad copy, especially if they seem incredible. However, some things to consider (which I'm sure you already know, but this is more for others who might have the same concerns):

1) It's Prof BC and Dan, two of the most trustworthy creators/distributors in this art. Hard to imagine it becoming another "Little Man" situation.
2) I may be wrong, but I don't think I've ever seen a video demo of a Prof BC effect, at least not before it is sold out.
3) if you purchase and are dissatisfied, Prof BC and Dan won't rest until that is rectified to your satisfaction.
4) Sold out Prof BC items are easy to sell, usually at a higher price than originally purchased for.

I have no doubt this will live up to its claims in surprising and exciting ways. Unless the price is absolutely prohibitive, I would recommend jumping on it! Smile

Seth
Bogbadger
View Profile
Special user
England
540 Posts

Profile of Bogbadger
I completely agree with Seth. It's a Prof BC production and Dan Baines is distributing it so we're all in very safe hands. If you manage to get your hands on one of the 100 and you don't like it then you'll have absolutely no problem selling it on. In fact if you get one and I don't I'll be first in the queue!
Maker of Magical Poppets - www.etsy.com/uk/shop/RockTrollCrafts

Websites built for creators and performers of the bizarre - www.oakdigitalsolutions.co.uk
Bogbadger
View Profile
Special user
England
540 Posts

Profile of Bogbadger
Bl**dy customs!

Websites built for creators and performers of the bizarre - www.oakdigitalsolutions.co.uk
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1404 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2016, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
Sounds fascinating, but I would like to see a video of it in action before I commit to purchasing.

I still remember the fiasco that was "Little Man."

As I have written elsewhere, I do not make videos for the reasons therein stated: too prescriptive (suggesting this is the 'only' or 'best' or 'prescribed' performance method); too easy (with deceptive editing) to make a mediocre effect seem better than it is; *far* too easy to diminish the impact of a truly good effect owing to the minimalizing nature of video (particularly with a story routine wherein so much of the effect is founded upon the personal, human interaction between performer and spec, which simply does not translate to video), &c.

That said, I would not intentionally mislead in my advert copy, so do allow me to elucidate further. When I write that the coin "appears to materialize in full view of the scrutinizing eye of the spectator" I am referring to the illusion that specific handling can create--handling that I teach in the performance manual. I do not mean to suggest that the coin actually fades gradually into view but only that it appears suddenly to be where it was not a moment before (and without the appearance of any 'moves' or indeed 'movement' at all). HOWEVER, the vanish (based on the Lubor's Lens principle) does precisely that--fade gradually from view--for, whilst the spec is looking directly at the coin (through the glass-clear holy prayer card), the coin actually appears to melt away leaving only the fingers and hand visible where the coin sat only a moment before and, when the card is moved away (a mere inch or three to one side), the coin is seen indeed to be quite gone (with no need to ditch or clean up).

It is all in the handling of the supplied props, of course. I am not claiming to have discovered a way to reorder the physical laws of the universe. Only God can do that . . . and also my daredevil cat, but that is another story entirely.

I have taken genuine pains to perfect this kit--which has been in preparation for most of the year. It is very much more than a quick trick or a single, 'obligatory' routine. This is in line with my Outcast Dead offering of several years ago in that the kit may be used in a number of ways. I refuse to say, 'limited by your imagination' because, honestly, what does that even mean? The effects possible do, however, lend themselves to a truly wide array of potential routines and handlings ranging from one-off coin 'stunts' to a full (and beautifully entertaining) story, illustrated by wonderfully visual, magical happenings--many, many of which are fully described and discussed in the performance manual

The advert describes the effects possible with the kit's included props, but this description is necessarily from the point of view of the spectator. The bottom line is that a very gifted 'coin guy' could possibly perform perhaps three-quarters of these effects via knuckle busting sleights, ditches and switches (some of which, in fact, I cover and teach in the performance manual for those interested in early-onset arthritis), but with this kit I have taken out the necessity of back palms, topits and servantes to create a performance piece that can fit into your pocket (it is a purse full of coins, after all), requires little in the way of practice (because the props can (and do) perform all of the heavy lifting), allows you to create a wide range of stories to tell (and focus your energies on creating the atmosphere of the tale), and yet be instantly ready to perform for one spec, a table of merrymakers, or (perhaps most significantly) a room full of cake-and-ice-cream-sated children.

The Faerie Shilling is my concerted attempt to offer this community a genuinely entertaining, magical coin routine/kit that intentionally explodes the 'coin guy' approach--of juggling coins from one hand to another mysteriously, to be sure, but for no readily apparent reason--and supplant that with a bizarrist approach--of illustrating a fascinating tale by recreating (with enchanting reality) the story's magic even as the tale unfolds.

If you have any doubts at all, please do not buy. I take my work most seriously and would genuinely prefer not making a sale to disappointing a performer. If I can be of any more specific assistance, please do not hesitate to PM me.

Allow me now an apology: If I seem a bit stung in this post, it is because I genuinely am. I was personally and professionally aghast by the "Little Man" debacle and feel it most keenly that my own (as yet unreleased) offering has been offered (however innocently) such a comparison. It is not my intention to detract anything from your concerns, and I apologize if I may have misread your intentions, but that miserably reprehensible "Little Man" event had nothing whatsoever to do with me or anyone with whom I deal.

BC
Phasmologist
pawel
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of pawel
Well put!!!
“Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts.”
Bogbadger
View Profile
Special user
England
540 Posts

Profile of Bogbadger
OK now I really, really want to get my hands on this.

Dan, come on if enough of us get together we could storm Tilbury Docks! Prof BC could summon a magical fog from afar and you can distract them with a selection of Lebanon Circle's finest

Vic Nadata
View Profile
Special user
Charlotte, NC
935 Posts

Profile of Vic Nadata
I have been playing with this beautiful set for about a week. Very well made. I figured the part about the dissolving coin would bring interest. I read that part as well and went - What???

Well truth be told the illusion works. It really does appear to fade away. All under the control of the performer of course. One of my favorite things to view is to have the coin half fade and half visible while in the hand. Excellent concept. Great Job BC.
Sir
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of Sir
I could see how the description of this effect, under unfamiliar circumstances, could cause some skeptisim. But this isn't unfamiliar - it's an effect from BC and LC. Such creations are unmatched and I would buy this even if Dan never posted a single photo. Such is the quality of their reputations.
"By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes."
LebanonCircle
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
910 Posts

Profile of LebanonCircle
Just been released from customs so looking at a Monday or Tuesday release!
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Thanks Dan.
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
By time you read this I will have
1540 Posts

Profile of jaizon
Will this be on the Lebanon Circle website? Today? Smile
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1404 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2016, jaizon wrote:

This will be on the Lebanon Circle website, but I just checked the tracking information and it is not yet showing delivery to Dan. It actually arrived in the UK last Monday, 5 December, but customs has been unusually slow clearing and allowing delivery. Dan and I expected that it would be up and ready last Wednesday, Thursday latest, and yet here we are still waiting.

I have a quantity in the US to post to the Americas, and Dan posts worldwide except the Americas (still the better route even after Brexit). Dan needs time to take delivery, make the photos for the web site, and open 'shop'. He is always extremely quick with his part of the process; we simply await Royal Mail to do their bit (England expects!)

Once the site goes live at Lebanon Circle, the Faerie Shilling kits are all made up and ready to post, so shipment should happen very quickly (within 24 hours of ordering).

BC
Phasmologist
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of jaizon
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2016, PROF BC wrote:
Quote:

This will be on the Lebanon Circle website, but I just checked the tracking information and it is not yet showing delivery to Dan. It actually arrived in the UK last Monday, 5 December, but customs has been unusually slow clearing and allowing delivery. Dan and I expected that it would be up and ready last Wednesday, Thursday latest, and yet here we are still waiting.

I have a quantity in the US to post to the Americas, and Dan posts worldwide except the Americas (still the better route even after Brexit). Dan needs time to take delivery, make the photos for the web site, and open 'shop'. He is always extremely quick with his part of the process; we simply await Royal Mail to do their bit (England expects!)

Once the site goes live at Lebanon Circle, the Faerie Shilling kits are all made up and ready to post, so shipment should happen very quickly (within 24 hours of ordering).

BC

Does Vic have these?
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2608 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
UK Post is inundated with packages this time of year. We're seeing slow deliveries on our end, too.

Will be snapping this up to add to my growing story telling sets.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1404 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
Quote:

Quote:

Does Vic have these?

This is a Lebanon Circle release, so Gemini Artifacts will not have them. I will be posting the U.S. orders directly from the U.S., so there will be no delay if you are ordering from the U.S.

BC
Phasmologist
Merlinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Daly City, CA
1560 Posts

Profile of Merlinsmagic
As I & I'm sure others are too, stretching our funds for the xmas season, what might the pricing be set at for this ?
Bogbadger
View Profile
Special user
England
540 Posts

Profile of Bogbadger
Thanks for the update Prof BC. Whatever happens re our wonderful postal system I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one

jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of jaizon
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2016, PROF BC wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Does Vic have these?

This is a Lebanon Circle release, so Gemini Artifacts will not have them. I will be posting the U.S. orders directly from the U.S., so there will be no delay if you are ordering from the U.S.

BC

Thanks, bud. Now if I could only find those Dopp books I'm after. Smile
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1404 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2016, Merlinsmagic wrote:
As I & I'm sure others are too, stretching our funds for the xmas season, what might the pricing be set at for this ?

Good question. I wish I knew. The way it works: I tell Dan what I put into the kits (my costs, effort to create, amount of blood spilt during the process, &c.) and he determines the price, which I then ask him to lower. He suggested 225-250GBP, and I asked that it be somewhere under 200. He usually listens to me, so I suspect it will be 200 or fewer pounds sterling . . . I *think* the current conversion rate is about $1.30 (please do not hold me to that), so that would be somewhere around $260 or less, but asking me about pricing my work is a bit like asking the cat directions to Starbucks. On second thoughts, my cat probably has a better idea about the location of Starbucks.

Ballpark?

BC
Phasmologist
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Faerie Shilling by Professor BC (117 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 2.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL