The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Pressure Fan Issue (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

triXter9669
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of triXter9669
Hey guys. Quick Question. When doing the pressure fan, how do you end it? I feel towards the end of the fan, my right thumb (i'm right handed) gets in the way of my left hand and I have to release it, which makes the latter part of the spread a bit sloppy. Any way to correct this?
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Beveling the deck before fanning may help. Keep practicing. You can still get a good amount of pressure by just using your index to do the fanning. Maybe use less fingers and they wont get in the way? Then again I'm having a hard time picturing your technique based on the description.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
triXter9669
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of triXter9669
Yea I know its difficult to explain via a post. So basically I hold the deck in my left hand as similar to a thumb fan. I grip the right edge of the deck with my fingers on top (1st and 2nd) and thumb on bottom. As I put pressure on the deck and start spreading clockwise, my right thumb will eventually hit my left thumb and I cannot go any further; I essentially have to release with my thumb. I can still get pressure with my first two fingers as you mentioned but it's not as even as the rest of the spread.

Magicfish, thanks for that I'll check it out.
triXter9669
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of triXter9669
Nice fan magicfish...and thanks for that haha. That's awesome you threw that up there like that. I can't see from that angle...do you eventually release the right hand thumb while still fanning (towards the last 1/3 of the pack)?
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
My thumb eventually has to get out of the way in order to get a wide enough fan. Adjust your right fingers' placement (think deep or shallow, and more left or more right). If you're holding it deep in the right hand and less at the fingertips, you might get a more uneven spread. It's really just a matter of practicing and adjusting. At the completion of the move, my right fingers are more or less pressing against the left palm. The right index is at the outer non-index corner of the card at the face, and the right thumb is pressed into the right palm (out of the way). I think dragging your right index as you finish the fan might help with the last few cards spreading.

Take a stack of about 6-8 cards and try to emulate pressure fanning those evenly. That's how the last several cards at the face feel when I do it. Perhaps that will help.

Magicfish's is very clean so perhaps he has some words of wisdom for you.
AsL
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of AsL
Quote:
On Nov 22, 2016, magicfish wrote:
Https://youtu.be/mgrnBi0pHEE

That's a beautiful pressure fan!

AsL
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Thanks for the kind words fellas.
Trixter, your problem will fade away via personal feel through practice.
Do it a million times. Your fan will develop and your hands will subconsciously make the necessary refinements.
Focus on snapping out the fan.
Don't worry too much about the right thumb. It will grip until it no longer needs to.
This fan takes a lot of practice but it is worth every second.
I was so impressed the first time I saw it that I vowed to learn it no matter how long it took.
That1MagicGuy
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of That1MagicGuy
Also once in a while practicing with new deck helps, it all of a sudden make your life easier.
But magicfish is right, fanning has a lot to with subconscious learning with the muscle they will adapt.
using less card to practice fanning at the beginning and slowly add the cards back may also help as well.
Good Luck.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Pressure Fan Issue (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL