The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » PING by Tobias Dostal (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Special user
Changing the world with my
988 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
I think that seeing the effect a number of times in the demo probably reduces the impact for us.

As a one off for a group of specs I feel that this is probably very impactful.

Not sure about the price point but I think it's a darn good idea and like it a lot.
jamo425
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of jamo425
Regarding the sound, I think magicians are thinking too deeply into this. Judging from the trailer, in my opinion I think it sounds very convincing and believe that with some creativity, you can get a lot of mileage out of this. I see this bringing coin magic to a whole new level.

Some people argue that it doesn't sound exactly like it "should".. but the point is that it does sound like the ping of a coin or at the least the ping of metal. Once you put everything into context, I highly doubt anyone would think you're doing anything other that what it looks like your doing. If you show a coin, or ring or whatever, they would have no reason to think the sound is coming from anywhere else other than the one thing in your hand that could possibly be making that noise.

But hey, to each's own. I personally think its a fantastic idea but it may not be for everyone. Honestly I'd be glad if this ends up going under the radar, I want this all to myself >:)
Nyama Possessor
View Profile
Veteran user
Under the Shade Tree
322 Posts

Profile of Nyama Possessor
Would love to see a review...

Could someone please expound upon whether it is hands-free or not? Does it require batteries, or is it USB rechargeable, and if so how long does it hold a charge? What is the hook-up like? Is it simple, or am I gonna end up looking like ET all wired up in the quarantine tent?

The ad-copy on Ellusionist is annoyingly vague in my opinion (compared to a device like M@gma anyways, which provides dang near everything but the flippin' blueprint in the description, which I fully respected!). Smile

I'm interested, yet it's gonna take some more info before I unsnap this rubberband from around the knot.
The Honorable NYAMA POSSESSOR

Co-Founder & Co-Creator of MAGICAL REALISM, Owner of ANCESTRAL REALM PRODUCTIONS

* 17 Year Member of the Shadow Network * ICBM Alumnus *

Creator/Author of SUMMONING RUMI and numerous other underground proprietary releases...
Books, routines and tools coming soon, available only and exclusively at www.AlchemyMoon.com
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I agree that the description is too vague to make an informed decision.
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
703 Posts

Profile of Waters.
I can understand the challenge here. On one hand, it's no good to expose a new gimmick. On the other, we want to make informed decisions. Even though I am a mentalism guy, I still enjoy learning and practicing magic. There is a tactile joy in working something into muscle memory. My hope was that I could "fling" my final coin of a three-fly and have it invisibly travel. It was just a thought. While this may or may not be the best answer for that, I find value and potential in exploring this. Tobias seems like a fun guy and this felt fun as well. I'm in.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
There is a gimmick which is concealed in the hand very naturally. There are no electronics at all.

Tobias goes over in the video how you can change the noise made a bit, depending on various uses of the gimmick.

And like I said in my previous post - there's like a half dozen routines taught, most with variations in handling included.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I assumed it was electronics when 3D sound was mentioned. Hmm.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
It's an interesting idea. Problem: if it is necessary to conceal a gimmick, then to show both hands empty, one has to ditch not only a coin, but a gimmick as well?
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
973 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
An earlier poster here noticed something in the trailer which should give you a good idea of what this is. If it is what was suspected, I do like the idea but find it to be unnecessary if you are proficient enough with other sleights.

And yeah, it's one more thing to ditch.

Definitely can be swayed into this though once the reviews come in. Again, it seems like a nice idea/thinking.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Tobias teaches a very clever ditch or two in the video.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Nyama Possessor
View Profile
Veteran user
Under the Shade Tree
322 Posts

Yeah, definitely caught a glimpse of it on the trailer upon further examination... Seems legit. I'm actually glad it is not electronic, what can I say I'm old school.

That said, in a perfect world I was kinda hoping for a hands-off/hands-free approach. Both approaches have pros and cons, as others alluded to.

To further echo those above, from what I can tell so far this thing might be pretty dang cool though, certainly the applications are endless.

I have two very alternative ideas/applications already in mind.

I am curious about the durability of the gimmick though, how long will it last, do parts eventually need to be replaced, etc.?

For the price (¿hand-crafted?), I need these questions answered before I loosen the belt on this here roll of greenbacks.

Still, would like to see a real review from someone who has already taken the plunge.

Co-Founder & Co-Creator of MAGICAL REALISM, Owner of ANCESTRAL REALM PRODUCTIONS

Creator/Author of SUMMONING RUMI and numerous other underground proprietary releases...
Books, routines and tools coming soon, available only and exclusively at www.AlchemyMoon.com
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
[/quote]

Just watch the trailer at 2:17 and look at his right hand, then you know exactly what you get Smile [/quote]

So the gimmick is the large US coin? That's no good if you're outside of the US.
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
703 Posts

Profile of Waters.
I have purchased this and really like it a lot. I have watched the videos, but have not received the gimmick yet. I think it is very beneficial to add another dimension (sound) to your magic. Tobias describes some great ideas that I think are very interesting. The gimmick is low-tech, which I also find appealing. To be honest, I think the vanish of a coin in the spectators hand is outstanding. It alone to me is worth the purchase. This utilizes commonly used ideas in mentalism and requires skill with spectator management, but the result is hard to beat. I am happy with this and look forward to this arriving. Tobias is a genius.

Best Regards,

Sean
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
This is a DREAM UTILITY device for those who desire the ultimate in misdirection! Just imagine all of the "moves" possible for various routines of all types while your spectators are staring UP in to space! Smile

SURVEY SAYS... SOLD!

CONGRATULATIONS to Tobias on this fine release! Smile
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2574 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
Sean are you close to Tobias or do we all get the video link before the gimmick arrives?
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Is the gimmick hidden from sight at all times?
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
The gimmick is solid. There's two bits that will wear out, and replacing them is easy, taught in the video, and the supplies should come with it.

The gimmick is not a coin and will not be seen by the customer.

The video is a download, available when the order ships.

And yes, Pegasus, gimmick is hidden from sight at all times - as long as you don't flash.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
OK thanks.
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
703 Posts

Profile of Waters.
Quote:
On Dec 2, 2016, MagicBrent wrote:
Sean are you close to Tobias or do we all get the video link before the gimmick arrives?

Great question. I don't know Tobias at all. I simply have the download available in my Ellusionist account so I watched it.
Nyama Possessor
View Profile
Veteran user
Under the Shade Tree
322 Posts

Thanks all for answering the questions... I'm in.

I wholeheartedly agree with Sean, adding an auditory dimension to performances is imperative to creating multi-sensory-precieved experiences for our participants. Involving as may senses as possible into our performances will only serve to fully immerse people deeper into a vivid world of enchantment.

Very interested in taking this concept/device out of the context of "traditional" performance and using it in the realm of hypnotism, séance, shamanism, etc.

This definitely has the capacity to seriously alter peoples perceptions and aid in misdirection.

Ever since I was a little boy performing magic, I dreamed of being able to flip a coin into the air, only for it to just completely disappear.

The psychological factor here (which I love) is that people naturally and instinctively tend to look up when someone flips/tosses a coin into the air. Furthermore, a coin being flipped in real-time is usually revolving so fast and rising and then dropping so rapidly at the same time, that no one ever really sees the coin in mid-air, we only see the coin in the hand (pre-flip), and in post-flip after it has landed back onto the palm of the hand. My point here being that due to this visual phenomenon (a coin being difficult to spot in mid-air), P!NG takes serious advantage of this occurrence, and essentially the sound of the coin being flipped works as a logical brain-deceiving convincer. I mean, how often have we seen those old "baseball bloopers" on TV where the outfielder can't see exactly where the ball is in the sky... Those clips sometimes end as epic fails, when the outfielder completely misjudges where the ball is going to land... P!NG allows us to take advantage of this reality: when small objects are flying through the air, they are often difficult for the eyes to focus on it.

Look back at the trailer and you'll see my point in action... The participants hear the noise of the coin being flipped, which their brains register, and they desperately look in the air for the coin. Reminds me of when you fake-out a dog by pretending to throw the ball, while the dog runs vehemently in the direction you "supposedly" threw it. Then the dog cocks his head to the side and looks at you like "Arfff? Rrrr-hey rrrwear did it rrrrrroh???". Smile

Additionally, by legitimately flipping and catching a coin in the air a couple first and THEN activating P!NG on the third "supposed" toss (to make it disappear in mid-air), the mage will have succeeded in conditioning the participants. Smile

I haven't ordered this yet, and therefore have NOT watched the video download (so, perhaps Tobias has covered what I am about to mention already?), yet I envision also using P!NG to !@#$e a specific side of a coin. Now with a little handling one can add a deviously clever controlled-ending to an "e******e" routine (i.e Positive Negative—Max Maven, Positive Positive—Art Vanderlay, Positively No Negative—Sudo Nimh, etc.). Mental Food for thought!

Anyone have any other ideas?

As I said above the possibilities with this thing are unlimited!

Props to Tobias for this manifestation.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » PING by Tobias Dostal (12 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL