The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Roth One Coin Routine Innovation (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Winston Newman
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
25 Posts

Profile of Winston Newman
Hello,

After unsuccessfully trying all the sticky tape in my house to stick the coin where it needed to be stuck for this routine I resorted to my shed to find a solution. What I found was a small round metal badge, the kind that is pressed together with a loose pin between the layers and some JB Weld. I pried the pin from the badge, sanded the back of the coin a little for some extra adhesion and attached it directly to the back of a coin as pictured.

Hope this helps anyone else having this trouble.

Click here to view attached image.
RichLucas
View Profile
New user
Haddonfield, NJ
38 Posts

Profile of RichLucas
Any comments on the Blackbird? Is it as fool proof as stated?
Winston Newman
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
25 Posts

Hey Rich,

Sorry but I have never really heard of it, as far as coin tricks go at the moment I am just practicing ones that utilize pure sleight or gimmicks I can make... I haven't yet mastered the trick of filling my pockets with coins to spend on fancy gadgets. Smile

Cheers, Winston.
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

Profile of Craig Ousterling
Dionysus, that's a fantastic idea. Simple and effective. I PM'd you some info about why Roth's works so easily with regular carpet tape.
Winston Newman
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
25 Posts

Thanks Craig, I was pretty happy with it. I feel like the JB weld will hold forever and it seems to me like it would be easier than carrying around fresh tape for whenever I want to perform this routine. If I make a v2 I'll probably try and give it a lower profile but it sits quite well even as it is.

Also thanks for the info, cheers.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Another way is to use a hook coin (or Hoo coin). Johnson sells them for a reasonable price.

Ha! Johnson doesn’t have any currently, so I linked to a hook quarter at Abbott's: http://www.abbottmagic.com/Hooked-Quarte......quar.htm

Your pinned coin is nice, but I'm lazy!!

Jim
Winston Newman
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
25 Posts

Yeah that would be a good idea but the problem is I haven't found anyone in Australia who actually sells gaffed coins and the ones I have seen from overseas suppliers are quite pricey. Hah, a side note, the Australian jumbo 20 cent coin I bought for this routine set me back $55 and appearance wise it looks nothing like the actual coin and has nothing on the sub $10 liberty jumbos you guys can get. Too bad it's as far as I know the only jumbo Australian coin you can get.

Cheers, Winston.
Douglas.M
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of Douglas.M
Great problem-solving! I had become frustrated with the lapel coin for similar reasons, especially with morgan coins falling off because of the weight. What I did was take the shell from a busted flipper gaff and stuck a loop velcro dot inside it. I had a seamstress sew hook velcro dots inside several jacket lapels (I did one myself and decided it was worth paying someone else to do it!). So now I just transfer the lightweight shell when I need to. Also, if I am dressing casual, wearing a t-shirt or polo shirt, I can grab a sticky hook dot and adhere it temporarily to the upper inside of my right sleeve. The lightness of the shell allows the sleeve to appear more or less normal. The technique for using short sleeves instead of lapels is a little different, but conceptually the same.
drmagico
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of drmagico
I too have use Velcro with shell to do Roth's Lapel Coin. I did not sew it on. I use the ones with adhesive backing and just stuck it on the lapel. It is strong enough that it doesn't come off until you pull it off yourself. This way I can move the coin from one suit to another without having multiple sewn Velcro pieces on every suit.
Yuan Moons
View Profile
Veteran user
348 Posts

Profile of Yuan Moons
I'm fairly sure that Roth uses a shell, not a coin.
Douglas.M
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of Douglas.M
I tried using sticky-backed velcro on my jackets and it failed. It fell off in less than an hour. Now that the velcro is sewn in I don't have to worry about it. In Roth's book Coinmagic and in his instructional DVD Expert Coin Magic he does not use a shell for the lapel coin
Yuan Moons
View Profile
Veteran user
348 Posts

Profile of Yuan Moons
Quote:
On Feb 23, 2017, Douglas.M wrote:
I tried using sticky-backed velcro on my jackets and it failed. It fell off in less than an hour. Now that the velcro is sewn in I don't have to worry about it. In Roth's book Coinmagic and in his instructional DVD Expert Coin Magic he does not use a shell for the lapel coin

It's been a few years but I'm sure I recall him showing a shell on one of his old vhs tapes. I could well be wrong though...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Roth One Coin Routine Innovation (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL