The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Favorite Impromptu trick? (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
RussoMagic.com
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of RussoMagic.com
What's your favorite Impromptu trick... mine is "ashes to hand"
wildarr
View Profile
New user
Isle of Palms, SC
80 Posts

Profile of wildarr
I'm not familiar with that name, "Ashes to hand," so please pardon any ignorance in the following questions.

What is the plot? What is the presentation? What are its sources? What makes it impromptu? And most importantly, why is it your favorite?

Would you provide few more details beyond the name? Doing so would, in my humble and uninformed option, promote a more meaningful discussion.

Your mileage may vary, so feel free to ignore. Smile

Respectfully yours...
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
779 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
"Ashes to Palm" very old trick, in lots of beginner books. My favorite version is Jay Sankeys' with pool chalk.
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Guastaferro's "Clairvoyance" is killer if the deck is Faro-worthy. (Brainstorm DVD part 2)
Josh Jay's variation of Sankey's "Back in Time" triumph is also great. (VanishingInc lecture) Uses the Goodwin display and omit's the Slop Shuffle.
Jon Armstrong's "Opening Act" is wonderful as well. (2010 lecture notes)
Don England and Richard Kaufman's "Vanishing Aces". (Richard's Almanac in Magic Manuscript, Vol. 4, Iss. 5)

All wonderful effects from a shuffled, borrowed deck.
RussoMagic.com
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of RussoMagic.com
Thanks for your suggestions and references. I love Back in time..I saw Josh perform it on the fly, not but don't remember the variations from the original. I'll check out the extra and the other effects.
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Josh's uses Krenzel's mechanical reverse and Tenkai's Optical Revolve to set up the wonderful Goodwin display to show face up/face down cards "genuinely" mixed together. It fools the eye even when you know the secret.
obrienmagic
View Profile
Special user
753 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
Magic with my wedding ring. I always wear it so if someone wants to see something on the fly, I can easily do that! Smile
Visit my online store at http://www.obrienmagic.com/magic-shop Smile
That1MagicGuy
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of That1MagicGuy
My favorite is the iPhone calculator number prediction effect, very organic relatable mentalism.
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2016, That1MagicGuy wrote:
My favorite is the iPhone calculator number prediction effect, very organic relatable mentalism.

Ah yes, Toxic. Love it, but overexposure has taken it's toll.
Bella Dans
View Profile
New user
Amsterdam
20 Posts

Profile of Bella Dans
Disjointed by Graham Russell
Jefferson
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Jefferson
I always think that answers to these questions are a great reflection of when you started doing magic. Here is the window into the genesis of my magical journey. My favorite impromptu effect is Recap by Greg Wilson. It used to be talked about a lot, now it seems to be buried under a decade of new tricks. However, it is a blast to perform and most definitely baffling to the audience.

Incidentally, I like the handling ending in AoA the best. I love the routine because appropriate pens can be found anywhere and the ending described in AoA takes advantage of that. However, the pen cap and ear handling is the best from his On the Spot DVD.
qwerty71
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of qwerty71
David Copperfield's stage intro effect of twisting hands.
LeafyMagic
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of LeafyMagic
I like doing Pinky thing-Nick locapo and Breaking point-Johannes mengel. Both are finger magic and require no props.
Forty Six & 2
View Profile
Regular user
Three cheers and some toasts for my
107 Posts

Profile of Forty Six & 2
I have never been let down by the good ol' fashioned eq****que!
Ask, knock and seek
Sanks
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Sanks
One Coin Routine
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
I guess it depends upon what you mean by 'impromptu'? I often carry some tricks with me wherever I go, do those count? If so, then spotty paddles and/or B'Wave are very hard to beat.

If you mean FSDIU cards, then there's loads I love - probably Gemini Twins for its ease-to-punch ratio.

If you mean propless, well ... I'm never without props, lol Smile
mandrax
View Profile
New user
Montreal, Canada
48 Posts

Profile of mandrax
Also a one coin routine. it allways amaze people. The MB one coin routine is a must know.
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
My favorite used to be a "two in the hand, one in the pocket" routine with coins. But I've replaced it with a one-coin transposition called Primary Movement and subsequent vanish (the name of which I can't recall) that I learned from Ben Earl at Magic Live last August. Very few magicians seem to know that trick, but it's great for impromptu magic. You can borrow a coin. It's very fast. And it's very strong, especially with the vanish afterward. No setup, no gimmicks, borrowed coin (or ring) if you like, hits hard, happens right under their noses, and the magic is immediate and fast, and then it's over.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
thatmichaelguy
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of thatmichaelguy
I like to divine thought of ESP symbols. Or b****t reading if I'm somewhere that's got paper and pen handy.
Why.So.Serious?
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Why.So.Serious?
Crazy Man's Handcuffs Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Favorite Impromptu trick? (12 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL