The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Houdini Controversy On MSNBC Tonight (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cgscpa
View Profile
Elite user
Ashton, MD
447 Posts

Profile of cgscpa
I just saw that on MSNBC's "Countdown" tonight (that started at 8:00 tonight EST), there is a story about the Houdini Museum exposing Houdini's Metamorphis effect and the protest from magicians to this exposure.
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
993 Posts

Profile of Gianni
There is also a front page piece on the topic in Thursday's (3-25-04) Wall Street Journal.

Gianni
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Way to go guys!!! ....Way to turn this small creature into a big monster rearing its ugly head. You would have thought that after the Fox specials, we would have learned how to deal with things like this. Even Copperfield didn't learn anything.

Oh well, one could have hoped.
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
cgscpa
View Profile
Elite user
Ashton, MD
447 Posts

Profile of cgscpa
Hello Kevin -

I guess I'm confused about your initial post here. This story has been recently featured in the Wall Street Journal; the Today Show; MSNBC and the BBC, yet when I mention it on a magician's internet forum (seen, I would assume, mostly by magicians) you post in response
"Way to go guys!!! ....Way to turn this small creature into a big monster rearing its ugly head."

I don't understand how passing the information to others with an interest in magic as turning this topic in a "big monster."
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Cgscpa...it was not directed towards you for letting us here on the board know. It was directed towards those that give exposure more steam. Everyone has their opinions and it is my opinion that this has become bigger than it should have. I'm not sure what the perfect response and manner in which to handle this exposure is...but I think there may have been a better answer.
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
cgscpa
View Profile
Elite user
Ashton, MD
447 Posts

Profile of cgscpa
Kevin -

Thanks for explaining what you meant with your post. My own opinion is that a pro-active approach is needed. The "zero tolerance" approach seems to be the the most popular and vocal. I'm not sure where I stand on this except that the more information we have as to what is going on in our community the better to form our own opinions.

BTW - I will be in Carmel, IN this weekend and I see you are doing a show nearby. With some luck with my schedule, I'll be able to see your show.
mOzerian
View Profile
Loyal user
Sydney, Global
230 Posts

Profile of mOzerian
If there is a strange looking BOX on the side of the road, and people rush up to check it out then others come along to shuu them away all this fuss elicts a natural human emotion of curiosity.

If the box was ignored and no one cared for it, chances are that other people wouldn't even notice.
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Let's look at what happened here...

Museum decides to 'expose' Houdini illusion. Rest of the world says 'who cares' or indeed says nothing as they are not even aware that there is a museum....

Magicians get angry and approach the museum and are told that it is happening regardless... Magicians go to press, press reports it on national TV.

Museum rubs hands together over all the publicity created, more people flock to museum to see what the fuss is about...

What SHOULD have happened...

Museum decides to 'expose' Houdini illusion. Rest of the world says 'who cares' or indeed says nothing as they are not even aware that there is a museum....

Magicians get angry and approach the museum and are told that it is happening regardless...

Magicians boycott museum and borrowed artefacts are removed, everyone goes about their daily business. Magicians tell other magicians that they should boycott museum and word spreads. Museum loses revenue as it would be mainly people with an interest in magic that would go anyway....
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
Case closed Smile

Kuffs
Chris H
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1364 Posts

Profile of Chris H
I'm not quite sure about this "zero tolerance" policy that has been mentioned a couple of times. Sure, none of us like exposure, myself incuded, but how exactly do you plan on stopping other people from passing on information. You can't. It's impossible. If anyone really wanted to know the secret to The Metamorphosis illusion, they can find it online. In fact, I know of an extremely large Russian site that exposes practically every one of David Copperfields illusions. I'm sure some of you have seen this site. It is incredibly comprehensive, and provides animations, 3D images and video footage, along with a detailed 2 or 3 page description of every step to the illusion.

The fact is that these days, information is available to everyone, and there is no way of stopping it from being passed between people. We can't stop FOX from playing Masked Magician specials, neither can we stop this museum revealing Houdini's secret. They're not breaking any laws.

If you're so worried about someone exposing another magicians techniques and methods, maybe we should all spend our time coming up with new material rather than rehashing the same old tired tricks. It's just a thought.

Oh, and before any of you start to condemn me for what I've said, you'll notice that in my first paragraph I clearly state that I am against exposure. I'm just thinking clearly and logically about the situation, as opposed to suggesting we start a vigilante group of magicians to wipe out exposure.

-- Topher
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
Just wondering, on a complete tangent.... Does that Russian site have anything to do with the Russian Mob that held David's stuff ransom???
Chris H
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1364 Posts

Profile of Chris H
Hi MacGyver,

Not that I'm aware of. It's just a few guys with a fair bit of magic knowledge who've set up a website exposing all of his stuff. I have no intention of passing the URL on to anybody, because I obviously don't agree with what is being done. I just happened to stumble across the site by chance.

-- Topher
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Houdini Controversy On MSNBC Tonight (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL