The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » When Scripting Goes Bad - A Cautionary Tale (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
See if you can tell where this line led to pandemonium in performance for me a few weeks ago:

"I will need people to join me on stage because tonight I'm going to dazzle you with a wide array of cunning stunts and I can't do it without your participation."

Hint: Unanticipated spoonerisms are real.

Best,

Atlas
Mindipulator
View Profile
Regular user
Mexico
109 Posts

Profile of Mindipulator
Would I be correct in assuming that the line has already been rewritten?
Ouch.

Dale
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1947 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Hilarious and stunning!
Sensio
View Profile
Special user
I promise I won't exceed
641 Posts

Profile of Sensio
"cunning stunts" can be shortened in some naughty way
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Metallica 1998.

Also, I read somewhere that there was an old time touring burlesque show called "The Arts and Farces Review".
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
You dy slog Smile

Regards, Steve
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
751 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
You are quite the "Cunning linguist"!...and a "Master Debater"!
Robb
View Profile
Inner circle
1291 Posts

Profile of Robb
Quote:
On Nov 30, 2016, Atlas wrote:
See if you can tell where this line led to pandemonium in performance for me a few weeks ago:

"I will need people to join me on stage because tonight I'm going to dazzle you with a wide array of cunning stunts and I can't do it without your participation."

Best,

Atlas

Strange you would use the exact phrase that is the punchline to a joke that has been circulating for many years... surely you're kidding that you actually did this?
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Quote:
On Nov 30, 2016, Robb wrote:
Quote:

Best,

Atlas

Strange you would use the exact phrase that is the punchline to a joke that has been circulating for many years... surely you're kidding that you actually did this?

Nope, it happened and I honestly have never heard that joke. Things most likely would have turned out differently if I had. I'm pretty sure I saw the term in an old Andersen book and thought, "that's a nifty turn of phrase, I like that."

Best,

Atlas
Robb
View Profile
Inner circle
1291 Posts

Profile of Robb
Quote:
Quote:
On Nov 30, 2016, Robb wrote:
Quote:

Best,

Atlas

Nope, it happened and I honestly have never heard that joke. Things most likely would have turned out differently if I had. I'm pretty sure I saw the term in an old Andersen book and thought, "that's a nifty turn of phrase, I like that."

Best,

Atlas

So sorry man, that had to be an awkward moment!
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1947 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Make sure as well not to have such a sentence in your script: [i]tennis in pension[i/], that could be equally disastrous Smile
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
623 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
I actually saw "stunning cu..." the first time I read it. Haha oh lord, where is my mind...

That could be a "blushing crow" to any performance.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I had this very mishap some 30 years ago at a very posh do, that was the last time I ever used the line "What a cunning stunt" it got such a big laugh that I actually considered leaving it in but I think it only got the response it did because it was clearly a mistake and I went red as a beetroot. I figured that I could not fake the level of embarrassment and it was this that the audience found funny enough to forgive the faux pas. The moment I realised I'd messed up the line I thought my career was over. There was a delay between the shock and the laughter that felt like an eternity.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
rjs
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of rjs
In 1975 an English band Caravan released an album called Cunning Stunts.

That was the time of progressive rock!
rjs
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of rjs
In the UK, Jeremy Hunt, the Cultural Secretary, triggered several mispronunciations of his name.
rjs
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of rjs
But if you really want to go down deep, Atlas, listen to Not the Nine o'Clock News team sing the romantic ballad:
"Kinda Lingers"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG6O5NTl_rQ
Djin
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of Djin
I can't help but think of the SNL "Colonel Angus" skit with Christopher Walken. If you have never seen it, YouTube it. Good comedy.

On a serious note, it's worth looking at any sort of script with an eye toward "...how might I botch this?" I'm no pro, but it's easy to find yourself tired from traveling, working, life in general; and now it's time to stand and deliver.

Thanks for the cautionary tale. I will try not to squander it.
Yuan Moons
View Profile
Veteran user
348 Posts

Profile of Yuan Moons
Quote:
On Dec 5, 2016, rjs wrote:
In the UK, Jeremy Hunt, the Cultural Secretary, triggered several mispronunciations of his name.

Yes just google Jeremy Hunt for some hilarious videos of news presenters getting it wrong (I'm sure on purpose at times)
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Contrary to the name of this thread, I don't think it wasn't the scripting that went wrong.

It was under-rehearsal, which would either have turned this up as a potential problem or trained you to speak it trippingly off the tongue when in front of an audience.

That said, things do happen.
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2016, Necromancer wrote:
Contrary to the name of this thread, I don't think it wasn't the scripting that went wrong.

It was under-rehearsal, which would either have turned this up as a potential problem or trained you to speak it trippingly off the tongue when in front of an audience.

That said, things do happen.

I'm not so sure it is under rehearsal, when I tripped over this line I had been doing that same act with that same line for over 5 years and I knew that act so well that I could perform it in my sleep. Brain farts happen no matter how well rehearsed you are and no matter how well you know your act. It only takes the briefest of seconds for you to do something stupid and most performers have had that moment where they are standing on stage wondering "Why on gods green earth did I do/say that".

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » When Scripting Goes Bad - A Cautionary Tale (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL