The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Stage Couples Production (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SpringBizkit
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of SpringBizkit
Hello!

So I'm not sure if this is the place I should be posting this about.

However, I've been doing close-up magic for quite some time now, and I have been asked if it was possible to produce a couple on stage? I have a wedding and the couple would like to be magically "appeared" on stage and I honestly don't know the methods required to do this.
Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction?

I'm looking for something that isn't too extravagant and something that can be done in case it does happen more than once. I'm ok with shelling out some cash, but nothing that would destroy the bank as I know there are some very intricate ways to get this done.

I wouldn't even know where to start with this but just seeing if anyone can help. I'm sure they'll love it for their wedding Smile

Thanks in Advanced!

S.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
From a simple hand-held "Utility Cabinet" production of the groom, and then let the groom help produce the bride from the same cabinet, to a more decorative and elaborate production using a "Garden Gate" Illusion in the tradition of "Things That Go Bump in the Night" in which you produce both bride and groom and then they make you disappear, only to be found as the last "bump." Inexpensive versions can be made from PVC pipe, as described in my PVC Pipe Illusions Book 1, or you can use the concepts to make more elaborate versions from wood if you prefer and have the time and budget for so doing.
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1366 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
I have used my cube squared by Creative Magic to produce both my wife and daughter.

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Bryce's Screen comes to mind, you can make it with the workshop plans and therefore make it fit the a wedding venue. I would make the panels a little wider for a couple holding each other in their arms. Very easy for the person being produced. Might get a wedding designer to help with the design of the panels, to fit a wedding decor.

Bryce's screen:

http://www.abbottmagic.com/Abbotts-Bryce......oryId=-1

Bryce's Screen workshop plans:

http://www.abbottmagic.com/Bryce-Screen-......oryId=-1
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I'm going with Cube Squared on this one. PM me, I know where you can get one cheap

Jim
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I'm not familiar with Cube Squared, so, I would vote for Bryce's Screen. We used it to produce "Miss North Carolina" at the State Fair, 20 years ago. Bill suggests making the panels a bit wider. (Wedding gowns tend to be a bit "full".)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
The problem with Cube Squared and "Bump in the Night" is that the people must crawl around before being produced, whereas with Bryce's Screen or Utility Cabinet, they can stay standing throughout. These are things you need to consider for people dressed up in fancy clothes as for a wedding. If they are wearing clothes suited to crawling, then you have more choices.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Glad you mentioned that, Jim! I wasn't too awake when I wrote that!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
SpringBizkit
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of SpringBizkit
Thanks A LOT guys!

I checked out both the Cube Squared and the Bryce's Screen. I do however feel that out out of these 2, Bryce's Screen is better as the Bride will be a lot more well dressed and same with the groom. Both will be very elegant and I'm sure in very tight fitting dresses. Might not be the best to be crouched down and in cube that way. However the cube is pretty awesome.

Is there anything else that's Similar to the Bryce's Screen? I do like the fact that the screen can be customized and you can also use more than 1 person if it's done right. However, maybe something more complex and 1 person? I don't have a partner to help me with the screen as I'm usually a solo person.

So far the screen is my best bet, but still would like a few more options if there are some.

Thanks in advance!

Sagar
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If you are going to get into illusions, then you will require at least one other person. Trying to do an illusion solo, is makes working out the stage movements look very unprofessional. If you don't have a friend, wife, sister, etc. to help you, then have a confidential agreement with you to select someone at the venue. The screen only takes a few minutes to instruct someone.

You can do Grant's cardboard box production from his booklet, but then the bride would have to crawl around on the floor with a big wedding gown on.

Most people don't consider or know what a magician's assistant has to go through. You are thinking outside of what a bride would do on her wedding day. Let's stay within your original requirements. More complex means more money, and more assistants.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Consider using the Best Man, Father of the Bride, Bridesmaid, etc. as an assistant to simply help you rotate the Bryce Screen (if you choose that solution) or to hold up one side of the Utility Cabinet with you on the other side. Chances are good they will be attending rehearsals and would be willing to help. Swear them all to secrecy and have fun!

I guess I should mention that I have PVC Pipe Bryce Screen plans in an e-Book in my "PVC Pipe Illusions Book 4."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Stage Couples Production (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL