The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris Presents Starlight by Chris Perrotta (68 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
On The Offbeat
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of On The Offbeat
Quote:
On Dec 19, 2016, Kaan wrote:
Hi there,
here you can watch my review on it.

SPOILER ALERT: It's GREAT!

https://youtu.be/ZiRa-sb27qM

Would have been nice if you had done a quick demo showing it in the brighter lighting you used for the review section. I know it doesn't read as well thru the camera but would have been helpful to at least get an idea of what it would look like as that is a major concern I think many of us have. I have no doubt it looks good in dim lighting but we are not usually able to control lighting conditions.
Inkluzo
View Profile
New user
Poland
55 Posts

Profile of Inkluzo
Kaan, I also will be glad if you show as quick demo Smile
MazingMandy
View Profile
Special user
Has tolerated the trolls here for
676 Posts

Profile of MazingMandy
Quote:
On Dec 7, 2016, sirbrad wrote:
No not everyone has a cellphone, some are old school and don't even know how to work one. I work at a restaurant and I know tons of have no cellphones and not with them. I have one myself but only for emergencies and it stays in the car. Not everyone is a mindless drone who walks around staring at screens, at least not the older crowd. I am not a cellphone person at all and have used on maybe once in the last 10 years. So in my case I would not waste the money as I am not a puppet who buys every latest electronic gadget. Many might have cell phones yes, or more basic ones but I am pretty sure not everyone is going to whip out a Smartphone with a light on. I will test it out at the 3 restaurants that I work. The only ones see on phones are mostly college kids. But they stick to fast food more often than expensive restaurants so it mostly the older crowd and their kids.

Wow. So everyone with a cellphone is a 'mindless drone' eh? As another poster said, I don't know where you are living but pretty much everyone ( and their pets) have cell phones, and loads have torch or flash functions. I guess you wouldn't know yourself since you don't have one, but it is a very common feature.

You know what you? If you are in one of those luddite zones where no-one has a cellphone then you just don't do this trick. Maybe do something from your spectators own era, like the indian rope trick, or cups and balls.
MazingMandy
View Profile
Special user
Has tolerated the trolls here for
676 Posts

Profile of MazingMandy
Sorry to everyone for quoting SirBrad again. I see now he actually seemed to leave the thread a little while ago, I hope I haven't woken him up from hibernation. (or maybe he is queueing for the latest iPhone.)
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1057 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quote:
On Dec 19, 2016, MazingMandy wrote:
If you are in one of those situations where no one has a cellphone then just use another light source.

Fixed.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
Quote:
On Dec 19, 2016, On The Offbeat wrote:
Would have been nice if you had done a quick demo showing it in the brighter lighting you used for the review section. I know it doesn't read as well thru the camera but would have been helpful to at least get an idea of what it would look like as that is a major concern I think many of us have. I have no doubt it looks good in dim lighting but we are not usually able to control lighting conditions.

Lighting conditions don't matter at all for this, the flashlight on a cell phone is so strong you'll see the light through the card no matter what.
Asaka
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Asaka
To anyone who has already purchased this product, is it foreseeable that refill for the gimmick is required??
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4395 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Dec 19, 2016, MazingMandy wrote:
Maybe do something from your spectators own era, like the indian rope trick, or cups and balls.

Nothing wrong with the cups and balls.... Smile Smile
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
The Wizard , The Legend 162,885,947,3659,
1694 Posts

Profile of Legendary Wizard
Alright boys , just gotten this . Definitely one of my favorite purchases in 2016 .

Firstly , Asaka , I don't think you'll need a refill of any sort , the gimmick will probably last long and those interchangeable parts , well , if you don't lose them they'll last a long time as well .

The instruction is pretty detailed , Bro went into great detail in that one hour plus instruction . Surprised that I managed to sit through it all the way and it's a pleasure watching . Everything is taught , from lighting , to variations of handling . Nothing is left out .

The gimmick is well constructed . It comes with the 8H revelation ready to go . You've the option to customize it really , to any letter / number or card in the word . Not sure if anyone is concerned about this , but you can only reveal 2 images each time . ie : two initials or a 2 digit number . The gimmick is quite nicely made . It's not made of cards , and will probably last a long time since it won't absorb moisture . There's one part which might break , but after a night of furious using and having fun with it , nothing happened , it's still strong as ever , and will probably stay like this if one performs normally . It's not elastic or IT in case anyone is worried about , so if you perform using the handling taught , don't be worried about it breaking .

Even if it breaks however , I assume it can be easily replaced . Just some superglue and maybe a trip to Walmart will get you everything .

Hum what else ... ? The reset is pretty quick ( 5 seconds is enough ? ) however the changing of the revelation might take some time . The shortest time it took me to change the animation letters is around a minute . You can't do the change in public I suppose , if you want it to be precise and the result to look beautiful . ( You get two sets of all 26 letters , and numbers from 1-9 , as well as all four suits . )

The ditch or steal of the gimmick taught was , quite clever IMO . Did it to my family who's constantly bombarded with my tricks and passed the test . They didn't even ask for the card after the animation . I'll test this out at a closeup strolling gig two days later and see how it goes .

All in all , really happy with this purchase . Will definitely use it .
" Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one " ...

- Albert Einstein
Inkluzo
View Profile
New user
Poland
55 Posts

Profile of Inkluzo
Legendary Wizard, thanks for great review Smile

Now, I'm curious about this more! Smile
ZauBernd
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of ZauBernd
With the following spooky or reverant aproach you can give the flash lighted card another meaning and the created mood minimizes the risk that someone grabs the card.
Take a blank deck with the same back design like the gimmick. Write different dead celebrities on the blank face.
Show them to the audience and tell that these celebrities hopefully have seen and are gone through the last bright light...someone selects a card, looks at it and puts it face down in the box. You reveal the initials of the dead celebrity with the spectators flash light who touches his phone like in the original routine. After blowing out the light everyone has seen the initials, you look into the eyes of the phone holder and reveal the full name while touching his / her hand for a short moment. Then he takes the celebrity card out of the box and the rest of the audience has a visual confirmation of the name. In this moment you have an offbeat moment to take the gimmick and all the rest cards to put them back into the box and close "Let them rest in peace...".

At home or in a quiet performance situation you can strengthen the mood playing mystic music from your own phone while introducing the cards...

Fear the death but not a living spectator grabbing the gimmick Smile
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1057 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
FAAAANTASTIC tip, ZauBernd! Thank You for sharing. Smile
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4507 Posts

Profile of videoman
FAAAANTASTIC tip, ZauBernd! Thank You for sharing.

Me likey too!!!
Thanks!
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
Quote:
On Dec 20, 2016, Legendary Wizard wrote:
( You get two sets of all 26 letters , and numbers from 1-9 , as well as all four suits . )

Can you write your own letters? Where I live the alphabet has 29 letters.
What about different languages (even some European languages have different characters - French, German, Spanish for example)

Can this be used on another medium or does it have to be a playing card?
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

http://www.magic2wear.com
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2376 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
No you can not write your own letters.
This can only be performed on the included card.
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
The Wizard , The Legend 162,885,947,3659,
1694 Posts

Profile of Legendary Wizard
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2016, LeeAlex2002 wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 20, 2016, Legendary Wizard wrote:
( You get two sets of all 26 letters , and numbers from 1-9 , as well as all four suits . )

Can you write your own letters? Where I live the alphabet has 29 letters.
What about different languages (even some European languages have different characters - French, German, Spanish for example)

Can this be used on another medium or does it have to be a playing card?

Hum ... I don't think you can , but if you can print on plastic , you can make your own letters , that's as far as I can say without giving it away .

As for another medium , well strictly speaking , you can't . But if you really want , you can find one with the same size of a playing card , and the thickness of a singer layer of a splitted playing card , then replace it on to the gimmick . You might be able to get it to work if you really have the time and patience .

But why go to such modification when the gimmicks provided is awesome enough
" Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one " ...

- Albert Einstein
Inkluzo
View Profile
New user
Poland
55 Posts

Profile of Inkluzo
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2016, Xcath1 wrote:

So you can't also reveal a shape (not letter) like a heart or diamond?
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1778 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2016, Inkluzo wrote:
Quote:

You can. It comes with the shapes of the 4 suits as reveal options.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - - -
SNAPS | You Know | CAANWICH | Fourtunate | Destined | Wrong Turn | Fortuity | Arbitrium | Sovereign Sandwich | RudiMental

More Info: www.davidjonathanmagic.com
academy
View Profile
Veteran user
324 Posts

Profile of academy
I don't know if this has been discussed before but have you considered to combine Starlight with Feinberg's shadow box?
Inkluzo
View Profile
New user
Poland
55 Posts

Profile of Inkluzo
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2016, TuneHV wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2016, Inkluzo wrote:
Quote:

You can. It comes with the shapes of the 4 suits as reveal options.

Very cool Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris Presents Starlight by Chris Perrotta (68 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL