We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » David Copperfield on Today show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jonathan Rice
View Profile
Loyal user
Maryland
223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Rice
Today David Copperfield went one on one with the curator of the Houdini Museum in Appleton, MI. She made her official statement that she would not compromise EVER and the exhibit exposing Metamorphosis would open to the public. This is such a fall for all magicians as one more secret will be down the drain.

Jon
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1829 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Way to go guys!!! ....Way to turn this small creature into a big monster rearing its ugly head. You would have thought that after the Fox specials, we would have learned how to deal with things like this. Even Copperfield didn't learn anything.

Oh well, one could have hoped.
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1769 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Yeah, you're probably right, strategically speaking, Kevin.

*sigh*

However, is it supposed to be our fault that the director of this little museum is the way she is? She is just being a jerk; this has nothing to do with artistic integrity or anything like that. She "started it." The people objecting to the exhibit are not the ones at fault. I hope she chokes on her thirty pieces of silver.

But, you are right that the best policy would have been to ignore it and downplay it as much as possible.

Copperfield and Penn are smart guys. This sort of exposure (the exposure of the sub trunk principle) doesn't hurt them. And the exposure (publicity-wise) doesn't hurt them either. They smelled publicity and they took it.
Babymagician
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Babymagician
Great for Penn, Teller and Copperfield.
Bad for magicians who perform this illusion.
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
I don't believe ignoring problems cures anything. Has it ever? Should we ignore terrorism and let the filth win? I don't think so. Issues such as exposure need to be confronted, or these people will think they have an open highway and things will get worse.

Yes there was much hype created over the masked magician shows but we need to realize the shows were shot before most of the hype got started.
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1829 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Eddie...I think you may have confused handling incorrectly with ignoring the problem. That is not it at all. However, don't give your enemy a national platform to gain exposure to their cause. Sid Radner did the right thing and pulled out all his memorbilia from the museum. You didn't see him all over the press ranting and raving.
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
Good point my friend.

The media is always looking for "bad news." It has been a long time since I have seen a kitten removed from a tree by a fire company. Seems Richard Simmons slapping someone makes more news.
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Watched the clip on the Today show and all it did was give her more publicity. DC said he had several ways to do the illusion so it doesn't hurt him but others.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » David Copperfield on Today show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL