The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Dan Huffman (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1738 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
Last Saturday night I found out that a good friend, Dan Huffman (Known as Spooky here on the Café), had passed away this past Sunday. He was 56. There are so many things I want to write in this regard but at the moment, I don't have all the words put together. He passed away on Sunday and the word didn't get out of his passing until days later as he didn't have any close family in the area. You might know him for his publication Bizarro or his multiple and unique Linking Ring Parades, or his published work in the Invocation. You might also know him through his video downloads that are over on Penguin (Hellophane and Gidrah). I've written much about Dan over the years in my own publications and with the recent updated release of Prophesy Voice I'm gutted that he didn't get to see the final version.

2016 has been an amazing year (that's understating it).

I posted the following up on my facebook pages but I know that only reaches so far. I thought some here might appreciate this story. I'm posting in the Mentalism section as I think between this section and the bizarre section folks who knew Dan would be most likely to see it.

Dan and I became fast friends after a posting he found of mine in the bowels of the internet. Being a fan of some of his writing I found in a 1987 issue of Linking Ring (a magician's magazine). A couple years after that post, I received a strange email. While Dan didn't immediately identify himself, it was him. I sent him some of my books and he wrote back that it inspired him to get back into magic; this is something he, at that point, had given up entirely.
Anytime I passed through Columbus, Dan and I would meet up. A few of my creations in magic were inspired by some of his previously published works. Later he published a few items that were inspired by works of mine. A great honor and truly a great friend.
There was a week about eight or nine years ago where I drove to Columbus, picked Dan up and drove him back to my place of living for a weekend to get him for much needed away. During that time we had a potluck on the Michigan Huron river, and stayed up into odd hours making each other laugh like idiots.

Weeks after I returned him back to Columbus, I found a small rubber pig figurine perfectly positioned under my futon in my living room. During that time, I had all sorts of folks through my house and it wasn't immediately obvious who could have left the small creature. I then started discovering them all around my house. Inside boxes, inside tea cups, inside boxes inside packing boxes. I found them inside shoes, inside food containers... everywhere. A few years later when I moved out of that house and into my condo about an hour away. I found more of them.
It took me a long time to figure out who was behind the pig invasion. In fact, when I questioned Huffman about it (after exhausting all other suspects), he seemed just as puzzled as I was. Now I didn't buy his denial for a second, though there was an event that happened shortly after moving to my new digs that made me question it.

Dan hadn't been to my condo, in fact he never made a visit to that particular residence. Shortly after settling in I received a small package. It was one of those larger bubble wrapped lined manilla envelopes. It has a return address, but no name. The address was somewhere in Las Vegas. My immediate thought was that I had ordered something and forgotten about it. I opened the package and inside was more package material. When I finally got to the center of it all, there was another *** pig.

I did what anyone else would do, I hopped on the internet, looked up the return address and found it belonged to a psychic reader in Vegas. This wasn't a case of Dan simply writing a different return address. This package was post stamped from Vegas. To this day I have no idea who routed the package through Vegas on Dan's behalf.

Fast Forward a few years later. I was in Columbus. Dan and I were at a show together and he had purchased some potato chips and was eating them out of the bag. I managed to have a few of those rubber pigs in my pocket and snuck one into his chip bag when he wasn't looking. Focused on the show we were there to see, he reached into the bag and unknowingly put the pig along with a few chips into his mouth. He immediately spat out the pig and glared at me for a moment before breaking out in hysterical laughter. In that moment I got my confirmation that these pigs were the result of Huffman's twisted mind.

A few years later I bought my first house and Dan came in to visit. I half expected that upon his leaving I'd find my house infested with some other small figurines but have yet to find them. I'll never stop expected them to show up.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10167 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Sorry to hear about of your loss and also a loss to the community.
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1925 Posts

Profile of Lior
So sorry

Lior
New shop: 1A magic
You can buy the selfie card trick.
The Zoom project
Talk To The Screen
https://1amagic.com/
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Life Time Achivmeant IUPA 2016
Marqus
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of Marqus
Sorry for the loss of such unique person.

I always liked Dan's submissions in the Invocation.
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2529 Posts

Profile of brehaut
RIP
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
I really enjoyed his materials. May he be spoken of often and well by the community.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Dan Huffman (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL