The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Sync vs Mool (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sam___
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of sam___
Hey, can somebody tell me the differences between Fraser Parker's Sync and Mool and their pros and cons. And is there any other non-billet name divinations you would recommend?
Yuan Moons
View Profile
Veteran user
348 Posts

Profile of Yuan Moons
If you read the threads and descriptions for each effect it will tell you all you need to know.
Adrien L.
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Adrien L.
Yuan is right, but going though countless threads where people talk more about prices and hype and the legitimacy of the releases instead of focusing on the pros and cons of each method might be very difficult. Let me try to give you an overview:

Fraser has a few propless name guesses. They're all pretty different.
- Ouija has the spectator name a few "random" letters and you divine a though of name (or be very close).
- In Sync, the spectator doesn't name any letter, but the process can be a bit longer (and I feel there's more room for error on the spectator's part).
- False Messiah's method has the spectator tell you a positive and negative characteristic of someone and you nail his name.
- Rose is like an updated version of False Messiah's name guess. I'd say it's a bit more streamlined.

- Then there's MOOL, which uses a deck of playing cards to give you a mechanical way to divine a name. If you're unfamiliar with Fraser's work, I think you should start here (besides, you pay what you want for this).

Matt Mello has a few also:
- Heritage, from his book "State of Mind" (it's a great book!).
- Thought Control

Then you have Ross Tayler's Karuna, which is a whole routine that ends with a name reveal.

I recommend all the above, but if you're new to mentalism, I'd say go for MOOL. And I'll tell you something that a lot of people seem to miss about these effects: they work best when you frame them within a reading. You can't go "hey, I'm going to guess a name you're thinking of!". The objective is for you to give a reading and the name reveal comes at the end, like a bonus that they're not expecting. Hope I'm making sense Smile

There's also a book called "Calibration" by Seamus Maguire but I haven't read it.
sam___
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of sam___
Thanks Adrien for all that info!
rev_marcus
View Profile
New user
Just getting started with
95 Posts

Profile of rev_marcus
Great summaries Adrien L. thank you
ProfessorJinksy
View Profile
New user
Italy
93 Posts

Profile of ProfessorJinksy
That was very helpful, Adrien L. I'd add to the list Calibration by Seamus Maguire, available at Lulu. I've just finished reading it this week, and I think the propless variations have tons of potential -- as do the prop versions.

There is also Train Tracking, of course, but it may be difficult to find.

For my money, though, Calibration may be the winner. I haven't tried it out, because I want to make some modifications and commit it to memory first. But I have confidence that it will play strong. I am thinking that it might marry perfectly with RedDevil's Invisible Gemini!!

I found Ouija to be pretty weak, but was pleasantly surprised with both MOOL and Karuna, in terms of potential, and the price was right.

I've been wondering about Rose. How similar is Rose to Karuna? Is the name guess pretty similar?

Thanks in advance,
Jinksy
Adrien L.
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Adrien L.
Rose and Karuna are very different Smile

Quote:
On Dec 14, 2016, ProfessorJinksy wrote:
I've been wondering about Rose. How similar is Rose to Karuna? Is the name guess pretty similar?
ProfessorJinksy
View Profile
New user
Italy
93 Posts

Profile of ProfessorJinksy
Thanks, Adrian L. Good to know. I'll check out Rose.
Adrien L.
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Adrien L.
If you liked Karuna, I think you'll like Rose.

Quote:
On Dec 14, 2016, ProfessorJinksy wrote:
Thanks, Adrian L. Good to know. I'll check out Rose.
Second Sight
View Profile
Regular user
Ireland
155 Posts

Profile of Second Sight
Mool was cool. I'd be curious to know the meaning behind the name. I don't recall seeing it in the manuscript. For the price, this was a very interesting tool to add to the impromptu toolkit.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Sync vs Mool (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL