The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Billets in the UK? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SBeck24Svn
View Profile
New user
Leeds, England
83 Posts

Profile of SBeck24Svn
Hey all,

I just wondered where mentalists in the UK purchase their billets from? I've searched around a few places (Staples, WH Smiths etc) but can't seem to find any that's suitable. I've ended up with some blank business card stock, however I find it too think for some peeks, and certainly too thick to do a CT. Most of the other business card stock I found had holes in the bottom.

Really I'm looking for the sort that is in Peek Encores (With the red line), however blank will also be good.

Any recommendations? (Also anywhere online?)

Thanks,

Simon.
procy
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of procy
Hi there Simon,

I have had similar difficulties, a friend has in the past managed to track some suitable paper down in small stationary shops, newsagents and post offices e.t.c. I ended up resorting to printers getting them to make up pads of the the size, weight I needed.

Simon
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
Simon,
I have similar difficulties.
Fortunately, my local printer was recently selling small pads of high quality paper at a very cheap price.
They were still too big to work from so I asked them nicely to slice the pads in half.
They did, and now I have a couple of dozen small pads that are perfect for billet work.

My advice then, I suppose, is to find a printers and see what they can do for you.
Just like Simon did.

(You're both called Simon? How confusing...)
Hello.
BonzoTheClown
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of BonzoTheClown
Any small stationers will sell paper and card of differing weights. Just experiment until you find one that suits you

Marc Climens
sludge
View Profile
Special user
milton keynes, england
529 Posts

Profile of sludge
I find that most stationers sell index cards that are suitable. I use ones from WH Smith.
DaveS
View Profile
Veteran user
New York
329 Posts

Profile of DaveS
Richard Osterlind sells pads (2.5" x 3.5") that he uses for his Perfected Center Tear and other professional routines. According to the ad copy, "the slips are heavy-weight paper with the grain running exactly the right way to ensure the correct working of the tear with no fumbling."

http://www.osterlindmysteries.com/store2.htm

Good luck!
DaveS
We shall not cease from exploration/And the end of all our exploring/Will be to arrive where we started/And know the place for the first time. (TS Elliot)
DarkKnight
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of DarkKnight
One of our local cheap shops sells big packs of coloured paper about the size of post it notes that are perfect for CT etc for about £1.

Maybe I should buy loads and then market them to magicians as 'Magic Paper - Allows you to read someones thoughts', £10 for 10 sheets....
glenn collins
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of glenn collins
My local stationary shop sells small pads made up from the end of print runs. they come in all different weights and I choose whats available at the time. as most printers have the tools to do it I get them to cut them down from normal pad size to the required size for ct ect.. they cost me 20p per go and have fifty pages. now that's good value.
if anyone wants some let me know and I will post some out.
the road we travel is lined with beauty but as with all roads, mind the pot holes...
JudgeBean
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of JudgeBean
In the book, the perfected center tear He has the exact dimensions and type paper.

I went to the printer, and she mades the pads for me. Under 30 bucks for 100 pads of 90.

after tearing up 3 pads I could do it in my sleep....

Judge Bean
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Quote:
On 2004-03-26 16:47, SBeck24Svn wrote:
Hey all,

I just wondered where mentalists in the UK purchase their billets from? I've searched around a few places (Staples, WH Smiths etc) but can't seem to find any that's suitable. I've ended up with some blank business card stock, however I find it too think for some peeks, and certainly too thick to do a CT. Most of the other business card stock I found had holes in the bottom.

Really I'm looking for the sort that is in Peek Encores (With the red line), however blank will also be good.

Any recommendations? (Also anywhere online?)

Thanks,

A bit late in the day for this contribution but here goes:

I use blank 3X5 index card stock, Partners' Stationary sellls them for about £1.00 per hundred.

The paper is thick yet works well.

I take the cards to a printer and have them cut it down to measure. I get them cut to business card size. Here in the UK the cards are a bit bigger and wider than the US versions.

I then get a bull dog paperclip and clamp about 50 or so cards together and then use Comdex (A UK version of rubber cement)on on of the sides, I use the width side, although it really doesn't matter.

After about 20 minutes or so, I've got a decent sized pad.

I prefer using the smaller size rather than the half size 3X5 card, for some reason even when surrounded the effect seems to work better on a smaller card than on the size that is commonly used.

Hope this is of any use.
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
The pads that Osterlind markets is perfect also for the billett work.
Fold the billet once one way, and twice the other, and your down to the size just right for you know what.

I decided to buy a box of these for $4 a (large) pad, rather than running around looking for the right pad and paper quality.

The added upside is, that I use the same pad for PCT, nailwriting, Change of Mind AND other billet work.
Trimmed just one or two mm down, the billets also work fine for SUC, if you don't want to use your business cards

Sven
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
I honestly can't believe I've read this thread... let alone the fact that I'm responding to it.

ANY SLIP OF PAPER OR BUSINESS CARD WILL WORK!

I've used Toilet Tissue, Business Cards and a plethora of other "convenient" odds & ends as billets. It's rarely the paper that's the issue, it's the performer's ability to execute the moves.

There is no such thing as a "stock" billet paper. As has been mentioned, I typically use Index Cards cut in half (as per Cassidy)or my business cards. I also have some 2 1/2" squared pads that I have printed every now and again, with an Astrological Circle in the center, my contact info, etc. This is typically something I reserve for paid gigs/home parties.

A couple of years ago I attended a Mentalist get-together in New England. Some shmuck who claimed he'd been doing Seances all over New England, conned Rick Maue into helping him set-up the Seance and went off on needing a specific kind of paper for his billet work... All in all, this arrogant novice did nothing more than prove himself a bigger fraud than I'm accused of being, for doing Readings. Quite simply, I've seen ten-year-olds pull off better Seance demonstrations and host far more knowledge than this guy.

If you're going to be a Mentalist, learn how to work with what's available and let go of the magician's cop-outs e.g. dependency upon this or that "special" thing. Grow some sphereical strength (if you get my drift) and simply jump in and DO IT! Excuses and devices will get you nowhere.

Learn to be creative and resourceful. Think through what it is you're wanting to accomplish and what the typcial circumstances will be when you work. This is how you become accomplished and a true "master" of the craft.
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Of course any paper slip or business card will work.
That fact should not limit anybody from using the paper quality that suits better when available.

-and you are of course not less qualified as a mentalist even though you chose a quality like the one mentioned above.

Sven
Neil
View Profile
Elite user
484 Posts

Profile of Neil
It's preferable to use paper thick enough so you can't see the writing through it, as this detracts from the effect somewhat.
dreidy
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
156 Posts

Profile of dreidy
I got 2000 made up today for $4.40 plus the paper cost ($12.50). Just go to any big office supply place with a printing arm and have them guilotine up some standard A4 paper. I find that A7 paper (that's A4 halved 3 times) is perfect for centre tears and switches. I also got some 200 gsm card cut to A7 for the centre peek Osterlind has in his latest videos.

I use light yellow paper for the centre tear / billets as I think having it the same colour as post-it notes makes it less suspicious than having a whole pile of small white pieces of paper when I do "improptu" mentalism.

David.
inorthcott
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of inorthcott
The blank card stiock here are perfect for pct and many other effects.

Ian

http://www.spiritgames.co.uk/playdis.php......%20Cards
"Life's too short for wasting - for ifs and might have beens"
GusVanNostrum
View Profile
Veteran user
With automatic writing I've produced
340 Posts

Profile of GusVanNostrum
Quote:
I use light yellow paper for the centre tear / billets as I think having it the same colour as post-it notes makes it less suspicious than having a whole pile of small white pieces of paper when I do "improptu" mentalism.

What weight (g/sqm) do you use for CT papers?

I found "restaurant pads", but with 80g paper that I had cut down, but I think maybe this is too thin anyway.

On the other hand. I really, really, really should read Julian 'Bev' Moore's postjustify again instead.

I mean, EVERYONE HAS SEEN A POST-IT-PAD, RIGHT?
Aarnoud Agricola
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Aarnoud Agricola
I use white A8 paper (cut in a copyshop), 160 g. It works fine for me.
inorthcott
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of inorthcott
I am thinking of buying some of the osterlind stock. Any experience ofusing this with PCT.

Ian
"Life's too short for wasting - for ifs and might have beens"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Billets in the UK? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL