The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Problems to be solved in mentalism? (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10195 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
There are many good points being made and a few I don't agree with but it all comes down to we should be focusing primarily on the WHAT rather than the HOW. When magicians or lay people come here it is for the HOW. Most of Penny and much of IT is now about the HOW. The entire shift in this board is based on the HOW. 99% of todays' releases and for the last decade have been about the HOW.

Other than Cassidy, Osterlind and a few others who have been trying to SCREAM this (the WHY) to the point of choosing to leave because all most want to focus on is the HOW and yet fail to understand how this is the driving force behind the trivializing of mentalism and the muddiness and cloudiness that exists. Nowhere is this more present than right here, in the magic community. Mentalists that do not come to mentalism from or via magic do not have this problem or these concerns at all. It is entirely 100% a magician's thing.

We hear guys say the words - it's about the performance, the character and the personality, then that's it. They go back to the HOW. It's easier, takes less effort, time, commitment and understanding. Like most things in magic, it allows for a short cut, something that resembles what those that do understand and put in the work have worked hard to achieve.

Like Tony said, I would also add hypnosis to his list as well.
Second Sight
View Profile
Regular user
Ireland
155 Posts

Profile of Second Sight
Quote:
On Dec 16, 2016, Djin wrote:
I think that mentalism has suffered, indeed the audiences have suffered, from generations of "debunkers." Somehow guys who dedicate years to the theory and practice of cheating with cards decided that guys who put a lot of effort into appearing to have super minds had to be unmasked. Guys who pull coins out of kids ears ("awww, that's so cute...") couldn't stand that a guy who bends spoons is treated seriously.

This is very fun. I have written elsewhere that I think mentalism has much more in common with card cheating than it does with card tricks, due to the need to avoid not only detection, but suspicion.
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2274 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
I think a problem that remains to be solved for mentalists is being perceived by the general public as artists. Personally, I have never seen mentalism included in "art festivals"; no one ever got a grant from an arts council to perform mentalism (Doug Henning once received one from the Canada Council for magic; mentalism is not included in local lists of art events and on and on. Will we ever be ranked along with writers, painters, sculptures, dancers, or even storytellers? Do we want to?

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
Raum
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of Raum
The most skilled, smart, greedy, dangerous debunker is a mentalist himself. For generations mentalists selling their secrets to anyone interested, and the number of sellers grows and grows with each generation. Take a look at this topic. Almost after each post where the signature is empty, there is a post where there is a link to the store in the signature. Penny for your thoughts, $ 20 for another secret.Hundreds of dvd, thousands of books, millions of pdf, billions of links in Google. Magicians do it? No.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
The rise of the sons of Arius, of course.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Problems to be solved in mentalism? (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL