The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » What is the name of this card production? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
SuperMagic
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of SuperMagic
I saw Juliana Chen produce cards on stage on the worlds greatest magic, just wondering what exactly is the name of the move she is doing, when plucking out the cards and where it can be found at so that I can learn it?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
This production is from the Chavez Course in Magic now handled by Dale Salswek (SP) If I remember correctly without pulling my course out, it is called the 'pop up' card production.
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
Yeah, but the angles are horrible, and the technique is decidedly "old school."
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Zombieboy,

All card productions are old school. You are more then welcome to come up with a whole new way to produce cards. I look forward to your new techniques.

The angles are horrible because of the way the camera wanted to expose her magic. Noone checked with the camera operator or producer before hand. It was also the way she wanted to hold her hands high above her head. That was her decision.

Lastly, this is stage magic not close up. It is ment to be performed from the front, not in the round.

Supermagic,

I have not seen this discribed anywhere else in print. Not even Jeff McBride tapes have this on it.
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
I heard Chen used 'plastic' cards or her boomerang sequence. The extra weight would exert more force when 'shot' from this technique, increasing the distance of the cards. It could be dangerous if they hit members of the audience though! Normal cards are sore enough.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I have the Chavez course. I will have to go through it and see if I can't find this reference for myself. It sounds intersting and I often wondered if she had modified it any.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
Wmhegbli, contrary to popular belief, there is a distinction between old school and new school manipulation techniques. If you want to know more, talk to Jeff McBride. He is also the one who told me that the move had to many bad angles, and specifically instructed me not to use it.

Also, it is described in Sheridan's new DVD. Volume two.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have Jeff Sheridan's Vol. 2 and it is not on there. It is a part of the Chevez course they call the Chinese Production. This is several different production methods to do with just a few cards.

Chen has used this move exclusively without using any variations. I suppose she did this because of the size of her hands. She could have used cut down cards but it looked like she did not choose to go that route.

Plastic cards may work, but when I tried them many years ago I found they do not have the right resistance to perform the move smoothly. I found that manipulation cards do not work as well with this production method. It is best to use fanning cards or regular cards that have some resistance to them.

She did the production very well alternating each card from her hands.
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Profile of Christopher Moro
I just stumbled onto this topic and while it might be late coming....Juliana graciously showed me this "Chinese/Pop Out" production a few years ago. In my opinion, it is a superior production because, when produced, the entire card is visible at the fingertips. In the "perfect" production, the card is more or less cradled in your hand and looks less natural. The only drawback is the angles and this creates a problem if you have small hands like myself and Juliana do. The way to get this production to work with thinner cards is to apply force in opposing directions with your fingers once the card is in the "produced position." The middle finger exerts force outward while the first and ring fingers exert pressure palm inward. The result will be a straightened card. With Plastic cards, the production comes a lot easier and faster. No "get ready" is needed, which eliminates one step, and because they are plastic, they will pop into view, thereby eliminating the need to apply force with the fingers. -- Having said this, unless you are in a nice stage situation, the "perfect" production is a much safer route.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Christopher Moro, I have to disagree with you discription of the 'Pop Up'. You are discribing another single card production.
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Profile of Christopher Moro
We might be talking about two different productions, I'm not sure. It's difficult to tell when reading only written words. However, all the posts seemed to indicate to me that the production performed by Juliana Chen is the one of topic...and that it is the particular production wherein both hands are palm up and the cards appear at the fingertips, alternating back and forth: Card at the right fingertips, card at the left fingertips...etc.
Is this what you guys were talking about? If not, then the technique I described is not said production. --- Also, I recently discovered that the one I am speaking of was described on Sheridan's Vol 2 video.

The one I'm talking about was shown to me by Juliana Chen herself, but never given a name. And I don't know what Dale Salwak calls it. So the "Pop-up" Bill has mentioned could be a completely different production. Juliana does a number of different techinques.

If instead, we are talking about a production she does that resembles what Jeff McBride has named, "perfect production," then there's another story to that too. Juliana says it has no name because she made it up. I believe she saw a mannequin in a department store and liked the position of mannequin's hands. So she adopted that pose (which resembles a more feminine version of the perfect production).

Anyway, I am interested now...which of her productions are you guys talking about?
bry1513
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of bry1513
Try Tony Clarks new DVD featuring his card act. He explains this move and his method has been the easiest one for me to do..........

Take care, Bry
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
There a clip of this production being preformed? or can someone describe it?
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
Juliana uses her own brand of cards - they are available for purchase (at least they used to be). They are extremely thin and are indeed made out of a more plasticy material than regular cards. They are SO thin though (a lot thinner than even nielson cards). I found them to be TOO thin to work with..
yanyak5
View Profile
Regular user
Delaware
186 Posts

Profile of yanyak5
I heard from a friend that Jeff McBride called this production (Juliana Chen) the million dollar production because magicians used to produce dollar bills in this manner..any idea of its truth?
Larry Stangel
View Profile
New user
Rhode Island
93 Posts

Profile of Larry Stangel
I'm not positive but the production Juliana Chen uses looks like the method on pages 112 & 113 in Ellison Poland's "Wonderful Routines of Magic"
"you could look it up" Casey Stengel
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
Quote:
On 2005-04-22 02:31, yanyak5 wrote:
I heard from a friend that Jeff McBride called this production (Juliana Chen) the million dollar production because magicians used to produce dollar bills in this manner..any idea of its truth?

I'm not so sure. Dollar Bills could hypothetically be produced this way, but the name "Million Dollar Production" refers to a different move.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Look at the new DVD available from Stevens Magic. Juliana Chen's Original Card Shooting video.

Now all the your questions can be answered without guessing and it is only $40.

http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=6981
ruijorge
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of ruijorge
Does this DVD explains how she maked her fast card production?
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
I have no doubt that Jeff is referring to an old trick that Tannens used to sell called “Grab-A-Dollar” (which I believe was invented by a man named Charles F. Harad. The gaff involved folding real dollar bills (almost in half) and reinforcing them with a piece of clear plastic. Since the folded bills were almost the size of a playing card they could be bent and palmed in the same manner as the card production that Ms. Chen uses. As the bills were produced they would unfold to full size and the plastic backing made them appear with a real “Snap”. The reason I know about this is because I performed the trick on an industrial film in the 1980s.

Levent
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » What is the name of this card production? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL