The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New Card Effect from Ben Blau (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1477 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Hi Folks,

I'm writing to tell you about a new card effect I'm working on. In essence, a normal and complete deck of 52 cards is handed to a participant. They cut to and remember a random card, while your back is turned, and then shuffle. The cards are squared up, and when you turn back around you immediately know what card they're thinking of. The participant can even put the cards into the card case.

I'm not willing to discuss method at the moment, but I will say that the deck is normal, there are no cr*mps or anything of that nature, and everything can take place in the participant's hands.

This would come with a fully fleshed-out script and presentation.

My question is this: How many of you would prefer to buy this as a relatively inexpensive one-off, or would you prefer to wait until I write another book? I wouldn't ask if I didn't feel that this is something special. It might be awhile before I release another book.

Opinions would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much!

-Ben Blau
rockbrunnen
View Profile
Elite user
403 Posts

Profile of rockbrunnen
Oh Ben, don't keep me wait until your next book!
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6762 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Definitely a book! A physical, actual book.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1477 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
That's one!
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1477 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Oops, I posted too soon...
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1477 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Quote:
On Dec 19, 2016, magicfish wrote:
Definitely a book! A physical, actual book.

Ebooks aren't my style. My last book was both physical AND actual.
NeverMind
View Profile
Loyal user
Right up there. On the stage.
235 Posts

Profile of NeverMind
U can maybe release it as a one off ebook initially. Then later add it to your next book with more ideas and updates.
It is better to be trusted than liked.
Under promise. Over perform.
charliemagic
View Profile
Special user
544 Posts

Profile of charliemagic
I second NeverMind.
rev_marcus
View Profile
New user
Just getting started with
95 Posts

Profile of rev_marcus
Well I certainly don't want to wait.
marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
616 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
Hi Ben, most magicians are impatient, so, like most people already said, I would like a one off. But you need to think how much would this dilute the value of the effect. I enjoyed reading Asymptotes and I wouldn't mind waiting for another book of the same quality.
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2531 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Make it clear up front they can buy the one effect ebook and that it will also be in your physical book down the road. My guess is many people will buy both.
Robb
View Profile
Inner circle
1293 Posts

Profile of Robb
Ben, I would keep it a physical book. Ebooks are too easily pirated. An 8.5" x 5.5" booklet would be great, 20-30 pages with routine variations. Ben has shared a bit about this routine with me... It is really a framework on which many routines could be built. It's excellent and I'm really hard to please when it comes to mentalism card routines.
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2287 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Hey guys,

So having known Ben for awhile now, I called him up tonight, and he showed me the effect. He did not tip the method.

But after having witnessed this first hand, I can say that

1) its a fooler(magician or laymen)
2) its entertaining
3) you can tweak to your presentational style
4) uses a regular deck

I told Ben a possible solution about half of the method that I thought he was using. Mind you, that I was trying to think in his mindset of what he would think of.

I wasnt even close.

Ben says he still has work to do on this, but wanted to know my thoughts on the effect and how it played out and looked from an audience point of view.

I told him that he was very clever, and I didn't have a clue as to what method or methods he was using, since everything was so clean, and nothing suspicious was going on.

I will be looking out for this as it progresses, but I really enjoyed what I saw.

Thanks

Alex Alejandro
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3403 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Post a video of a performance then don't release it at all. Bring the mystery back.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1477 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3403 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
What I really like about Ben Blau's work is that it always feels so 'Ben Blau-y'.

Lovely routine.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1477 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Hahaha!!!

I can't help it!

Smile
Cervier
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1261 Posts

Profile of Cervier
I believe you can still discover interesting variations or other paths to explore around that principle and routine. I thought the first version was already very good, yet the second one is even stronger and was close at hand. Well, "close at hand" is an easy thing to write now you did find those improvements Smile but I'm confident you'll find other neat ideas... I can feel they're lying around, waiting for you to pick them up Smile
"A friend is someone who know you well but loves you anyway" H. Lauwick
The Lynx Deck, http://jmmaries.free.fr/cervier/
Grapheeteez, on GooglePlay
Telemos the peek envelope, on SkywardMagic
Telemos en Francais sur TheMysteryStore
Adam Hince
View Profile
Elite user
Pittsburgh, PA
489 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
Love me some Ben Blau material! Ben shared some of the variations of this with me. I love that it keeps evolving (and rather quickly!) as it is a newer idea of his.

When he first sent me a brief write up about it, I was out and about. I quickly read it, thought it was a smart idea but didn't have a chance to revisit it until a day or so later. By that time, I already had a variation performance video in my inbox with improvements that made the effect more streamlined and flexible. He didn't share the method at that moment.

I thought about the variation and the possible methods and as I went to reply, he interrupted my thought by sending the method to my inbox. And of course, his method simplified it in a more direct and concise way than I was thinking.

Whichever medium he decides to release it, it's certainly in your best interest to pick it up, or risk being fooled by it!

Regards,
Adam
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New Card Effect from Ben Blau (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL