The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Table Tipping (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
RooMan
View Profile
Special user
Texas
704 Posts

Profile of RooMan
What are your opinions of the best table tipping methods?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The best ones are very good.
:lol:
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
RooMan
View Profile
Special user
Texas
704 Posts

Profile of RooMan
Awww geeez...always "on".

I had hoped the Berglas book would have gone into more detail about his table tipping method but no...

The most interesting one I've found thus far would be the one described in "Psychic Magic" by Ormond McGill but I've never had a chance to try it.

The various belt gizmos and such don't intrique me as much as "the real deal".

Ok...your turn Bill.
Babymagician
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Babymagician
The method for the Berglas table tipping is in the book.
You just have to look carfully...
RooMan
View Profile
Special user
Texas
704 Posts

Profile of RooMan
Babymagician...howzabout a hint as to where that might be?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The table tipping method in the Berglas book is hinted at fairly strongly, but is not actually revealed. Actually, unless you are using an extremely heavy table, such as the one that Berglas used, you can do this without any gaffs at all. Kreskin did it in his show with regular folding card tables.

I'll PM you some ideas later this afternoon.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
IN Banachek's book, Psychological thought reading - he has a section on table tilting ("The real deal") that you may be interested in.

Kindest Regards,

George Tait
RooMan
View Profile
Special user
Texas
704 Posts

Profile of RooMan
Thanks, guys...I'll check 'em all out. Look forward to hearing from you, Bill. You know, I seem to recall when Kreskin was on TV ages ago a table tilting done with card tables that completely blew me away. The tables went out of control, galloping across the stage.

Of course, this may have been in the late sixties or early seventies and I can't even guarantee the memory to be real. Ahhh, the good ol' days...
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
I think Banachek's psychophysiological thought reading is an awesome book with some great stuff in it. The table tilting in there gives it some history and simple description. There's really not much to it.

Anabelle
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
For those that can travel to my UK lectures in May, I am more than happy to show you there what I do for table tilting.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
constantine
View Profile
Regular user
Memphi, on the Mighty Muddy
189 Posts

Profile of constantine
Ormand McGill's Psychic Magic(Abbotts) and I think the Bill Larson book have work on this.
Constatine 49%er
“The way of the transgressor is hard—to quit.”
—Jefferson Randolph “Soapy” Smith
Mark Roberts
View Profile
Special user
Nottingham, UK
597 Posts

Profile of Mark Roberts
Look forward to seeing that Paul.

Hopefully I'll be at the Leicester Lecture on 10th May.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I will admit that I was one of the few who was truly disappointed in the Berglas book. The ads for it implied that the methods for the table tilting would be in there, and they were only hinted at.

I purchased the book, read it, realized what it was, and sold it within a month or so.

Nothing against David Berglas. He has earned his position in the Magic Circle of London and in the world of magic. He has also been very supportive of my work in combatting exposure. I just felt that the information to page ratio was a bit low.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
The Mental mysteries of Wm. W. Larsen, as well as Eddie Joseph's "Come good spirits" both contain good table tilting works and is what I always used as my basis.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
mortep00
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of mortep00
David Berglas is not allowed to reveal how the table tilting is done.
He would be breaking a contract with David Copperfield if he were to do so.
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Jay Inglee demonstrates a nice bit of table tipping (with Jan Orleans as the "innocent" spectator Smile )as part of an effect in Eugene Goes Bizarre and it is explained in Strange Ceremonies. No gimmicks!
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Sam Haine
View Profile
Regular user
San Jose, CA
159 Posts

Profile of Sam Haine
Greetings,

Table tipping is a lot of fun but it took me about six tries to get it to work. The hardest part for me was finding an appropriate table. I figured a lighter table would work best and quickly found that was not the main issue. While I wouldn't use a 1/2 ton dining room table, I found I could use up to an 90 lb table. Rather, I found that a three legged table with a broad top, or one with a single column that split into three legs, worked best. The fewer tipping points seemed to help, and the width of the top increased each contributors leverage.

You face an interesting formula of number of people (more people is not always more force but usually helps), table top width (increased leverage of available force), and height of table (I found having folks lean down on the table pretty much killed the motion, while too high and they weren't able to apply enough force).

Lastly, I would like to try using a pendulum. I'd love to suspend one from the ceiling to just above the table. I'd swing it with IT and suggest it is pointing to the moving energy around the table. The idea would be to suggest and hopefully induce corresponding movement in the table. An idea I don't have time to try. If you do, please let me know how it goes!

Sincerely,
Sam Haine

p.s. For the truly lazy and mildly wealthy, Hank Lee sells the Shaman's table.
Magical entertainment for charities www.sam-haine.com
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
Like many, I do prefer the "cold" methods towards table tipping. As best I can recall, most all of them seem to agree on the same basic dynamics. At the same time, I've had loads of fun with some of the mechanical methods used long ago. HOWEVER... I have a new method that, unfortunately cannot be made available to just anyone. We're still working out the bugs but the general effect is awesome and, in my case at least (that's a hint) can be done most anywhere, at any time, with just about any table that's available.

The table "bounces"and can shift the bounce from one end to the other. It can likewise raise into the air about half a foot or so.

Like I said, we're still working the bugs out of it, but it will be a prime feature in my new show this coming fall here in Western Mass. Hope this little blurb intices some of you into visiting...

I'll post up-dates closer to our opening along with web site links... I just couldn't pass up the opportunity for this teaser...
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
I have a heavy oak three-legged table that is believed to be the one used by my wife's grandparents for table tilting (for real). A hundred years ago, people would sit around a table for hours trying to get it to move, much like a Ouija board.

These tables are heavy, but very unstable when pressed, even lightly, in a certain way.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
Quote:
On 2005-01-30 22:43, Bill Fienning wrote:
I have a heavy oak three-legged table that is believed to be the one used by my wife's grandparents for table tilting (for real). A hundred years ago, people would sit around a table for hours trying to get it to move, much like a Ouija board.

These tables are heavy, but very unstable when pressed, even lightly, in a certain way.

Dang Bill... You should have a "Knocker" installed into the pedestal and have some serious fun with that piece.

I love finding "practical" antiques. To have one with a legit family history however... that's MAGIC!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Table Tipping (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL