The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! Table Tipping (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2005-01-28 12:36, mortep00 wrote:
David Berglas is not allowed to reveal how the table tilting is done.
He would be breaking a contract with David Copperfield if he were to do so.

In that case, which I will say right now, I do not believe, the advertising for the book was false. He did not have to give total specifics of the method. There were other items in the book that I also have great difficulty believing.

Since you seem to have inside information, what is the duration of the contract?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1832 Posts

Profile of teejay
Quote:
On 2004-04-20 12:41, Thoughtreader wrote:
The Mental mysteries of Wm. W. Larsen, as well as Eddie Joseph's "Come good spirits" both contain good table tilting works and is what I always used as my basis.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat

Anybody know where these are available?
Cheers
TJ
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
Quote:
On 2005-02-24 20:24, teejay wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-04-20 12:41, Thoughtreader wrote:
The Mental mysteries of Wm. W. Larsen, as well as Eddie Joseph's "Come good spirits" both contain good table tilting works and is what I always used as my basis.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat

Anybody know where these are available?
Cheers
TJ

Write to the Magic Castle for the Larsen Book (be prepared for sticker shock... last I heard it was at or over $200.00 for a copy... but well worth it!)

ABBOTTS may be your best bet for the Joseph material and of course Hades Publications for the Nelson notes on this same bit.

For around $40.00 (if I recall correctly) Stevens Magic (gesh, they need to start paying me a commission for all the plugs I give them) has a very cool "device" that permits you to actually levitate a table... it's very cool and loads of fun if you have any level of imagination.
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1832 Posts

Profile of teejay
Hi Osiris
Thanks for the info
Cheers
TJ
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1479 Posts

Profile of Piers
Hello,
Is there a URL for the 'Stevens Magic' 'device;, please ?
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2016!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
shinobi
View Profile
Loyal user
Durban, South Africa
272 Posts

Profile of shinobi
James randi's book "flim flam" exposes table tipping methods. the book shows how he debunks paranormal claims by exposing the methods to be 'performance' magic. the one case shows how the table tippers were unable to do their thing when he made them place their hands within a certain area. just do the opposite...
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
826 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
I am glad I finally found this thread. I had seen Copperfield do this years ago and more recently, Derren Brown. I had no idea what to call this phenomena but knew it was related to Ouija boards. I had begun to believe the concept was simply a hoax that required stooges until I happened upon this thread. (Well, not that still isn't a hoax...) Thank you very much for the resources. I would like to find an antique table to keep in my office, just for this very purpose. I am going to enjoy the hunt for this table and I hope it takes me to more than one curious shop.
All small town magicians know what 793.8 signifies.
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
“What are your opinions of the best table tipping methods?”

First that would depend on if you’re looking for a spiritualist table turning methodology or tipping as it is sometimes referred too. The fact is that many of the published methods since the time of Houdini are nothing more than a magician’s opinion. As to how the spiritualist actually performed their unique version for the method these magicians offered to the society as a whole and are largely incorrect not only in the premise of what you are trying to do but in the methodology employed.

The other thing that one should note is that table turning started about late 1848-1849 with the uprising of spiritualism as a precursor to the Ouija Board.

Why did I say the above date? The methodology of the context you want to look for can be found published between that date and the creation of automatic writing and the development of the first planchette used for writing. After this time period everything moved forward to the Ouija Board.

A few bits of interest turn up again during the 1850’s till the coining of the term Spiritism by Allen Kardec in 1874. Now after 1874 the whole concept takes a drastic turn for the worst in my view as the whole context of the idea is dramatized and not for the better I might add and by time of the rise of the anti spiritualist propagandist all good work is lost on the subject. One of the reasons is the ASP and the other is the book burning fads of the late 18th and early 20th centuries where much of this literature went up in flames.

Okay, now you have the time frame you should look for information about the context of the idea the rest is up to you but pay special attention to the works of Andrew Jackson Davis (1826 – 1910) 1847 Principles of Nature written in 1846. Also note the works of Hudson Tuttle.

A very interesting sub note is that the Fox Sisters may have read Andrew Jackson Davis work of 1847 and this may have lead to their little ruse that gave way to what was to follow them in 1848.

This time frame will give you the proper context for table turning or tipping if you look you will find a whole new way to view this most interesting phenomena.

In my book Phasmatis Opus (Ghost Work) you will find my Table tipping method although it’s properly far to dark for some of you.

All in all I would look at avoiding using any obvious gimmicks that could be identified when performing this style of routine. The other fact is the tables never floated off the ground this was a later gag set in motion by members of the ASP to confuse and confound the public. Also did you know that some of the mediums who were exposed were not mediums at all but members of the ASP movement portraying mediums?

Never believe all hype after 1874 or you may become lost in the swindle of the anti spiritualist propaganda movement. Today this movement still exists under many names but its influence from the past can be seen and many works only rehash ideas set forth by the ASP many of which are bold face deception and lies.

Best to know both side of the coin are really there before you decide to call head or tails.

Hope this helps at least one of you find the answer to this age old question.

Cheers
Bill Montana
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
826 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
Thank you very much for such a detailed response Mr. Montana. You are a true asset. I can not wait to get my butt in some antique shops now. I also look forward to the looks I'll receive when seeing how tippable the table is without invoking the anger of the shop owner.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2908 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Here's a clip (and there are many more on youtube)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=027pj4EsaGU&feature=related
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2908 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Here's a clip (and there are many more on youtube)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=027pj4EsaGU&feature=related
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
Yeah, you guys do know you can use a bigger table.Smile The one in the video Todd posted is way to small and looks prop-ish so do many of the other videos on YouTube IMO. Something that should be avoided when performing this kind of stuff is anything that does not seem to be real. Folding TV dinner tables are never a good idea when doing this kind of work. Think about it and you will come to the same conclusion. I should also point out that the table does not need to cost a small fortune either. Mainly do to the fact it could break during performance. As this will happen on occasion and when it does hopefully you have the camera running.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2908 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
At Lily Dale they do a Victorian seance evening every season. Everyone dresses up and there are dozens of tables tipping. In looking at their calendar of events for 2011 in order to see if they were doing another of these evenings, I stumbled across a red light seance class and an evening of billett readings! They are getting bold up there.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I want to go to Lily dale!

Also, I just saw this clip last night, it's SO good. Obviously theatrical, but I think it's powerful. I love Harry Anderson, but I didn't know he did this kind of stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8Px7MPg9......eo_title
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
826 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
Thanks for the videos Todd. I was hoping for more of the 'moving' types of tables that I have seen Copperfield use or Derren Brown. Is this possible? I wasn't even aware of the existence of the 'tipping' versions. If I could get both phenomena to manifest itself in the same table, without stooges that would be awesome. If I experience the third phenomena of floating, without stooges, I will be looking for the quickest exit. Smile
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2908 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
What you saw in those videos is about all you can hope for with only audience members at the table. You can get some sliding of the table across the floor, but when it comes to getting the table to float, that requires either helpful people or helpful mechanics. We do a floating table in Play Dead with people from the audience at the table. No stooges, just some evil smoke and mirrors.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2908 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Lily Dale can be a bit of fun, but it is not a flashy as you might imagine. There is an overall sadness to the place that comes from the people filled with loss who go there hoping that they can fill the void in their lives.

Harry did that floating table for years in his act. It was a nice change up from the rest of his material.

Quote:
On 2011-04-19 11:11, seadog93 wrote:
I want to go to Lily dale!

Also, I just saw this clip last night, it's SO good. Obviously theatrical, but I think it's powerful. I love Harry Anderson, but I didn't know he did this kind of stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8Px7MPg9......eo_title
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
826 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
Quote:
On 2011-04-19 16:29, Todd Robbins wrote:
What you saw in those videos is about all you can hope for with only audience members at the table. You can get some sliding of the table across the floor, but when it comes to getting the table to float, that requires either helpful people or helpful mechanics.

The floating part was a joke. I simply want sliding.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I believe the standard is currently 20% of the total bill.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
826 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
I guess the world will never know ...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! Table Tipping (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL