The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Genii subscription add ons (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kkaiser343
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of kkaiser343
I was thinking of subscribing to Genii. They featured some add on deals with the subscription. 4 dvd set of card college book 1&2; bound copies of the Talisman newsletter. or the lost journals of Hilliard.. I did some magic as a young teen but now I am 50ish and my interest is mostly in sleight of hand and mentalism.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I THINK that your THINKING, is good.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
kkaiser343
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of kkaiser343
Thanks but that doesn't really help the decision
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
So, what was your question? Should you subscribe to Genii? Or, I've decided to subscribe to Genii and I want to know what bonus I should select?

Genii is a great publication. I get it, along with MUM and Linking Ring. All have similar articles and information.

Giobbi's DVD is very good, but a complement to his books - vol 1 & 2. If you are interested in cards, hen I woukd get the the DVD, but also get his books.

Hudson
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
I recently extended my Genii subscription to take advantage of the great deal on the "Card College" DVDs. (I already had the books.)
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
SvenSigma
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
151 Posts

Profile of SvenSigma
The Card College DVDs are such a good deal that you can even ignore the fact that you also get a Genii subscription with it.

Which is exactly what I do. I only have an electronic version subscription (as a matter of principle). The technical quality of both the tablet (Android) and web version is so bad that I just cannot convince myself to read Genii. I suspect mostly it is caused by a trade-off between readability and forcing readers to see the ads.

Of course, that is a pity. The contents of Genii is worth reading it. Maybe my extension will be a paper subscription but before that I might get the whole Magic magazine archive from lybrary.com. PDF is much easier to read and I just hate to clutter my home with dead wood magazines.
It takes a baby in the belly six months to learn how to put the thumb in the mouth.

The rest of life is essentially the same problem.

Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Dec 21, 2016, Dick Oslund wrote:
I THINK that your THINKING, is good.

I think that your thinking of subscribing to Genii, is good thinking. Regarding the "extras": You must decide for yourself It's very subjective.

Cf. Hudson's comments.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
We are out of Roberto Giobbi Card College DVDs, however we are reprinting the Vernon Touch and will be taking pre-orders for it shortly.

The Vernon Touch should be up on our website today or tomorrow. The price is $25 plus $10 postage in the USA ($30 foreign) if you subscribe, renew, or extend your subscription to Genii. The retail price of the book is $95 plus $10 postage in the USA ($30 foreign).

As for SevenSigma's remarks, the "web" version of Genii (that is, the version you read on your desktop or laptop) is great--no problems at all and every function works. All 79 years of Genii are online for you. We have also recently updated both our android and iPad apps. All 301 issues of MAGIC magazine will be up there by the end of the first quarter of 2017. Join us at www.geniimagazine.com
SvenSigma
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
151 Posts

Profile of SvenSigma
Dear Richard,

I agree insofar that the web version works and that you get all the issues of Genii and Magic. It is just the usability that I find improvable. Surely a matter of taste, but some things are really not to mine. E.g., I like to print some of the tricks and you need to do that page by page (ok, two at a time is possible). Also, the navigation sometimes behaves unexpected. Maybe not trying to imitate the a paper magazine would help.

Unfortunately, when I have time to read I use my tablet, and there the reading experience is just not up to par with simple PDF readers. Maybe just using PDF internally, not exposing the file, and some PDF reader would help here.

Anyhow, lots of people seem to be happy with the way it is. And as I wrote, the content is great.

Jens
It takes a baby in the belly six months to learn how to put the thumb in the mouth.

Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
My suggestion to you is to buy an iPad Pro. That's what I have and it's a great machine.
SvenSigma
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
151 Posts

Profile of SvenSigma
That's a different discussion. My household will not see an Apple product unless it belongs to a guest Smile

You surely see from the download numbers if it is worth for you to invest more into Android support. That's your business decision.

Which does not change my "dislike points" with the browser version.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Genii subscription add ons (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL