The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Most important personality characteristics performing mentalism (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Delimbeau
View Profile
Special user
May the magic be with you
537 Posts

Profile of Delimbeau
What are the most important personality characteristics for performing mentalism? Stress-resistance, agreeableness etc.?
ParaLabs - Thomas
View Profile
Special user
909 Posts

Profile of ParaLabs - Thomas
Be it!
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1582 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Believe who you claim to be. If you don't believe it, don't expect anyone else to.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1703 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
^ICW nailed it here. You need to find some way to believe it, kind of like the 'method' actors allow their performances to flow from their internal experience of the material. When I perform metal bending, the method is nothing, I believe it. The me who is performing turns a blind eye to the awkward necessities of methodology and instead sees the *reality* of the bends. One of the reasons I love binary stuff is because internally it feels so close to what I want the real mind reading to feel like, it makes this so easy. When I built my dictionary booktest Thumbscrews, I constructed it to allow myself a moment that felt real, standing on stage with nothing and *knowing* their word with nothing else to help by my own mind. There is a kind of truth to it that way, it's hard to explain.

Phill
Check out the incredible Neural Miracle playing cards on Kickstarter:
-+: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/phillsmith/incredible-magic-with-the-neural-miracle-playing-cards :+-
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10195 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Also congruency in addition to what ICW & Phill have said.
Cervier
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1261 Posts

Profile of Cervier
Strange questions you ask!? Both your questions (on this thread and on the other) are about what one must BE, not about what one must DO.

Do you mean that, depending on the answers you get, you will change your personality??? Smile
"A friend is someone who know you well but loves you anyway" H. Lauwick
The Lynx Deck, http://jmmaries.free.fr/cervier/
Grapheeteez, on GooglePlay
Telemos the peek envelope, on SkywardMagic
Telemos en Francais sur TheMysteryStore
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12325 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2016, ParaLabs - Thomas wrote:
Be it!

Succent and to the point.

Forget about who you were. Forget about your past. Become who you now want to be based on what you want to project.

Often we embark on new adventures, careers... with our past in mind. We over think what we are now based on our past. It doesn't help you to move forward in the new venture especially if the new venture is... New! Especially if it has nothing to do with what you've never done.

If you are professing to be a mentalist your are either going to be one who demonstrates what a mentalist may look like by performing experiments or you will be a mentalist by demonstrating your real perceived powers. These are two very different objectives.

Today I am the one demonstrating what it may look like if I was a mentalist. If I could read minds and predict the future. But the objective is in showing how this can be done by using influence, body language and some subliminal demonstrations. (Which are all real powers and phenomenons)

So, is it real or is it memorex?

That's all I have for now.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
BOLDness
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1477 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Personally, I like to see a person who is at least apparently possessed of above-average intelligence, is eloquent, and believably experienced in life and with people.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2026 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I'm going to add one more thing, rather arrogantly, considering the caliber of those who have already responded.

I think it is essential that you actually like people and show it.

Paul Draper has said in multiple places (including here on the Café) that a real mindreader would be able to understand the person before him and in that moment of complete understanding, to love that person as he loves himself. This is very poetic, but perhaps harder to act out than I am up for.

Bob Cassidy has the remarkable knack of being offensive without giving offense. His words, not mine. I believe it is because his participants can feel that he is playing with them, but not being at all unkind to them. When I watch him on stage, he is having fun with the "volunteers" and they are having fun, too. I have seen performers who do not like or respect people enough to treat them kindly and the result is they leave feeling "used."

A believable mentalist would actually care about the people he meets, in my opinion.

-Patrick
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2026 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Oh, and if you want a wonderful resource for this, read Dale Carnegie's book How To Win Friends and Influence People. The title sounds sort of needy and manipulative, but if I were to put a new title on it, I would call it How to Show Others they Matter and Get Your Message Understood.

Great little book. Worth studying.

-Patrick
Second Sight
View Profile
Regular user
Ireland
155 Posts

Profile of Second Sight
I completely agree with your last two posts, Mr. Woolery. Once you learn a bit about someone, you can start to genuinely find them to be interesting. And that allows them to start to find you to be genuinely interesting. But it has to start by caring and observing and asking interesting questions that yield interesting answers. For some people this comes naturally. For others, practice makes perfect.

It's a more direct route to a connection than trying to win people over by impressing them. Impressing them comes second. Caring about them comes first.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
I agree with Mr. W too - but I don't think that is unique to performing mentalism - that should be for performances across the board.... magicians, hypnotists etc.

I would hope at least Smile
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12325 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2016, Dr Spektor wrote:
I agree with Mr. W too - but I don't think that is unique to performing mentalism - that should be for performances across the board.... magicians, hypnotists etc.

I would hope at least Smile

Unique to life! Smile
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Yuan Moons
View Profile
Veteran user
348 Posts

Profile of Yuan Moons
Quote:
On Dec 21, 2016, Delimbeau wrote:
What are the most important personality characteristics for performing mentalism?

ability to appear sincere and honest whist BSing to the max. Not easy as it sounds.
jstreiff
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of jstreiff
Today, engaging, interesting and humble.
John
January
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of January
My day job is a teacher, and I've noticed that what you guys say above applies to teaching as well: there's a balancing act of claiming to possess some sort of unusual abilities through the mind--whether it's supernatural, psychic, or just being psychologically savvy, extremely observant, or possessing knowledge others don't--and then at the same time not coming off as too smug, condescending, or uncaring to audience members. As a teacher, my students want me to know more than they do because it's my job, but they don't want me to condescend to them or belittle them. That's where the caring part comes into the equation.
Delimbeau
View Profile
Special user
May the magic be with you
537 Posts

Profile of Delimbeau
Great responses, many thanks!

Through my daily job I got to know many 'captains of industry'. After all these years, I think that the number 1 success-factor for a board room position is stress-resistance (not knowledgeability or the like). Secondly, my brother in law is a successful actor. He often still has to throw-up before a show. Apparently that is quite normal. Does any of this has an analogy to successfully performing mentalism? Cheers, Luc.
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1512 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On Dec 24, 2016, Delimbeau wrote:
Great responses, many thanks!

Through my daily job I got to know many 'captains of industry'. After all these years, I think that the number 1 success-factor for a board room position is stress-resistance (not knowledgeability or the like). Secondly, my brother in law is a successful actor. He often still has to throw-up before a show. Apparently that is quite normal. Does any of this has an analogy to successfully performing mentalism? Cheers, Luc.

That taint normal.

I've been a live stage actor since I was 14 year old and I have never seen anyone who had to throw up before a performance.

Now, I've know some audience members who wanted to throw up after seeing some performances.

I'm going to upset some of the more serious folk here, but I do a comedy mentalism act and I think the most important quality is the audience know that I'm enjoying myself along with them.

That quality breaks down all sorts of barriers.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
To be authentic to yourself and what you believe in, authenticity in general...

to be interested and interseting in equal measure...

to be comfortable in your own skin...
I've asked to be banned
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Most important personality characteristics performing mentalism (12 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL