The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » The Memory Arts by David Trustman and Sarah Trustman [Aronson Edition] (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5180 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
First off, for reference, here is a link to both Aronson and Tamariz editions. There is a second thread that was made prior to this one discussing the Tamariz edition that later gives a mention that Aronson was released but I would like to seperate the two for clarity (although there is distinct carry over on each).
Tamariz thread - http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=205

Tamariz PDF - https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-......ry-arts/

Aronson PDF - https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-......edition/

Both are priced at $25 and will also both serve as "Book A" respectively when "Book B" comes out in 2017 (as I understand it). Although "Book B" will be expanding on your memory system in general helping remember different things than card stacks but will include work on "erasing, or clearing your mind" to not recall your stack but recall a new one instead. Basically, if you suddenly decide I don't want to visualize Aronson but I do want to access Tamariz now, it can be done cleanly. Sounds interesting to me anyway Smile

I have used many methods to attempt to get this stack down and although my luck has been better than it has not, I always seem to hit a roadblock somewhere. That said, I may be a "special case" as I had a lot of radiation to my head and neck as well as strong chemotherapy during my two bouts with cancer in the last 5 years. My short term memory has begun to show some real problems over the last couple years. This may - or may not - have something to do with it but I thought "full disclosure" best here as some things that may come off as a "no-brainer" may not for me in my current health. (Also, I am well into my second year cancer free this time, possibly 3 years, it gets to be a blur from time to time. OK... that's it for the medical stuff, lets get on with this Aronson stack memorization tool from the fine people at "The Memory Arts"

I was having luck with an app that a member made and posted here a while back - http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=205
It is also available in both stacks and is a very fun and useful way to remember the stack in the form of a game. I also have a few other random apps that are not as good but do help. Flash cards, rote... just not able to finish for some reason. I can almost get the first 26 by number, name, before card and after card but that is where I seem to hit the road block. I have several e-books on the Aronson stuff but most do not concentrate on learning the stack (they assume you are that far and take you from there).

Along comes an advertisement for this PDF in an e-mail from VanishingInc and I decided, after reading thru the Tamariz thread and decided to give it a shot. I have to say, this is VERY helpful so far. Extremely easy to read and understand the method as well as how it works. I am interested in hearing how it is working out for others and if there are any tips or afterthoughts that other readers have come up with. Also, I read in the other thread that there may be some mathematical errors in the book. If so, is this the case with this book. (As I understand it, the contents of the two books are very similar except for the order of the cards which changes the "story" while travelling the path. The images are the same for the 26 positions but different "card images" will be associated with those positions on the path.

Has anyone else bought this version of the book and had any luck with it so far? Looking forward to hearing any ideas or tips that will help me over this hump I keep hitting (kind of like the mountains at position 3) Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5180 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Is anyone working diligently with either version of this book? (Tamariz or Aronson). I have been having some recall issues and an not sure if it is because a couple of the reference items, in either the cards or the places are simply things I draw "no real familiarity with". For instance, the "Banshee" or a "shrew" in the cards (surprisingly, the "sign" was the hardest to remember for me... go figure) or a "stone hand" / a "winch". they just are not everyday items I would think of.

Again, I have short term memory problems that I an struggling with due to my chemo and the fact my radiation treatments were to my head and neck area. I am assuming I could just change the images / locations to something more suitable for me and things I "see" in the world around me, but I wonder too if this will not work as well (if I do) since you clearly want to think of obscure, kind of "shouldn't be there" type stuff to make it work best (according to how I interpreted the book?

Has anyone tried different card and location visualizations? If so, any luck? Am I correct with what I am even asking or am I overthinking somewhat?

Thanks

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1354 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
I don't use the imagery so I can't speak to that, but if you stall out around 26 on Aronson, know that you have a 10-card block from 29-37 that's really easy since it's nothing but Tens, Jacks and Fours with the exception of the King of Hearts at 30. (This is the 10-card poker deal section of the stack, so it's 3x10, 3xJ, 3x4 and a jonah card.)

Also notice that the extended royal flush of hearts sits on every 4th card from 22-42, so those become nice landmarks:

22 AH
26 QH
30 KH
34 JH
38 10H
42 9H
46 8H

The red Sixes are 10 apart at 39 and 49. But which is which? For suit, I associate them with their red neighbors: 10H at 38 means 6H at 39; 6D at 49 with the unforgettable 9D at 52.

Just some tips that may or may not help folks with various styles of memory.
tjackson8685
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of tjackson8685
Very early days for me (I bought the digital book just 24 hours ago) but am very pleased so far. I took a flyer for my $25 and am pleased I did!
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5180 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I have tried and struggled with mnemonics to no avail. This book was VERY helpful for me. Glad to see you are already enjoying it 1 day in. Also keep in mind, if there is any "location" or "Card / Picture association" that is a little difficult, you can totally make up your own for that/those cards and/or locations. The method still works and may even work better as they are "Your Thoughts/Visions".

Another very helpful tool is an inexpensive game for your phone that a member here made a while back. The iPhone version is called "The Aronson Stack Trainer" by Cube MG LLC. Android lists it as "The Ultimate Aronson Trainer" by Cube MG. I have several other trainers both free and for pay but this one is the absolute best in my opinion. It tests what you have learned in the format of a game. Each level is timed and you must score "x" to move on. This makes great practice for quickly recalling card to number as well as number to card plus cards before or after each card. (The way you would be actually thinking in front of an audience at speed).

Smile Smile
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
1497 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
The newest version is out that I'm thinking of getting. See it here: https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/......ts-book/
tjackson8685
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of tjackson8685
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2018, Poof-Daddy wrote:
I have tried and struggled with mnemonics to no avail. This book was VERY helpful for me. Glad to see you are already enjoying it 1 day in. Also keep in mind, if there is any "location" or "Card / Picture association" that is a little difficult, you can totally make up your own for that/those cards and/or locations. The method still works and may even work better as they are "Your Thoughts/Visions".

Another very helpful tool is an inexpensive game for your phone that a member here made a while back. The iPhone version is called "The Aronson Stack Trainer" by Cube MG LLC. Android lists it as "The Ultimate Aronson Trainer" by Cube MG. I have several other trainers both free and for pay but this one is the absolute best in my opinion. It tests what you have learned in the format of a game. Each level is timed and you must score "x" to move on. This makes great practice for quickly recalling card to number as well as number to card plus cards before or after each card. (The way you would be actually thinking in front of an audience at speed).

Thanks very much for the tips!
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5180 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2018, Nathan Alexander wrote:
The newest version is out that I'm thinking of getting. See it here: https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/......ts-book/

Just ordered it.

Smile Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5180 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
WOW! I got it and couldn't put it down (but I had read a chunk of it already). It basically is the printed version of both the Aronson and Tamariz e-books and then "Book B" is added containing both stacks together if you want to go "All-In". Then there is some non card memory stuff that is helpful. With this book, you can learn either stack in 26 -or- 52 locations. Just as the stack was taught in the e-book using 2 cards per the original 26 locations, you could expand and use one card per 52 locations -or- learn both stacks using 2 cards per 52 locations. Even if you already have the E-book of one of the versions, this one is worth getting.

Smile Smile
andre.eighty
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of andre.eighty
Thanks for the info, I was wondering if Book B was included this new release. Do you know if Book B available as a separate ebook?
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5180 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2018, andre.eighty wrote:
Thanks for the info, I was wondering if Book B was included this new release. Do you know if Book B available as a separate ebook?

It never did come out as a second e-book (yet, not sure if it ever will). You might want to go to the e-book page on Vanishing Inc and click the "Ask a Question" and use that. They get back fairly quickly but may need to contact the Authors to see if it is in the works as an e-book or if they decided just to go "all in" with the hardback.

The hardback book is technically "book A in both Aronson and Tamariz" with the additional information (like positions 27 - 52 as well as how to apply the method to remember "lists and long numbers") that "I" see as book B. I already had the Aronson e-book but am not at all disappointed with purchasing the hardback. The extra info on Tamariz along with the 52 paths and showing a way to remember BOTH stacks together make it well worth it to me.

Smile Smile
danster08
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of danster08
Can anyone tell me how this compares to Geoff Williams Mnemonica for Everyone? He also has one for Aaronson, but I only have the Mnemonica version. THe technique sounds similar.
Daniel Lee
317-941-6FUN
http://danielleemagic.com/
danster08
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of danster08
Sorry it is Mnemonica for Everybody
Daniel Lee
317-941-6FUN
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5180 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On May 23, 2018, danster08 wrote:
Can anyone tell me how this compares to Geoff Williams Mnemonica for Everyone? He also has one for Aaronson, but I only have the Mnemonica version. THe technique sounds similar.

Totally Different. I have the Aronson version of the Geoff Williams book and it uses all PMS. Pegwords never clicked for me but the Visual Memory aspects of the Memory Arts Book did. Everybody is different though.

Smile Smile
byronblaq1
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of byronblaq1
I purchased the Memory Arts book recently and I'm very impressed. Managed to pick up the stack in no time.

B.
danster08
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of danster08
This sounds very promising. I never could get the peg system down either. I may have to give this a shot.
Daniel Lee
317-941-6FUN
danster08
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of danster08
I finally got my copy. Looking forward to reading it when I have a few moments to really dig in.
Daniel Lee
317-941-6FUN
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
1497 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
Got my copy Friday for my birthday. Love this, can't wait. Smile
Dapperdan
View Profile
Regular user
Detroit Area Magicians & Mentalists (DAMM)
133 Posts

Profile of Dapperdan
For those of you that have had success with the Memory Arts method, I have a question. (I picked up the book this past winter at Magi-Fest, directly from the Trustmans - who, by the way, are a pretty nice and cool couple!)

Anyway, when you do your memory work, are you truly taking yourself on a journey down the path, envisioning the various scenes linking together on the path or do you let each picture stand on its own (since it has its place in the sequence embedded in the picture itself). Does that make sense? I'm having trouble linking them together in a "walk".

Thanks!
Tada!...

Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8486 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Incredible!
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » The Memory Arts by David Trustman and Sarah Trustman [Aronson Edition] (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL