The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Society of American Magicians! » » Parent assembly (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kkaiser343
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of kkaiser343
I am new to magic again. I did some as a preteen than discovered girls. I wasnt good enough to use magic to woo them so I found other means. Now I am 54 and getting back into some sleight of hand stuff and thought I would join SAM just to meet some like minded people. The local Assembly (NYC) wants a few tricks to be inducted. I have NOTHING that they have not seen a million times before and done much better..what do you people think??
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Ha! I remember Kay Kaiser (and, "his kollege of musical knowledge") was a "big band" leader of my youth! ('40s)

I remember you, too. SAM membership should not be anything to worry about.

According to Dariel Fizkee, there are 18 (or 19, I forget) EFFECTS. The EFFECT is "what the spectator(s) perceive when the magician performs a TRICK"! There are only a gezillion or so TRICKS.

Back in the '40s, when I was a high school kid, my mentors told me: "It aint WHAT ya do--it's HOW ya do it!" --i.e.: It's your PRESENTATION, not the TRICK, that creates the MAGIC. The MAGIC only "happens" in the spectator(s) mind(s). --And, MAGIC is NOT INHERENTLY ENTERTAINING! Your PRESENTATION must create the MAGIC, AND, the ENTERTAINMENT!

Over the years, I've attended--and, lectured--at a "whole bunch" of Assemblies and Rings, all over the USA, plus lectured at a "few" national conventions (even twice at the Magic Castle (oooh!). .999% of those I've met or know, are "good guys".

I remember that you were a firefighter, and, you have a problem "hitchhiking". So! Do a couple of bits that you've done since forever!

I "sneaked in" to the SAM! I was having lunch with Jay Marshall, and DORNY (then Dean of the SAM) and, Dorny asked me if I belonged to the "Some Are Magicians". I s aid, "No." He said, "Why not?" I said, Dorny, no one has ever asked me to join." He said, "Well, I'll ask you!" I said, "OK, I'll join!" I did. That was about 1975. (hee hee!) (I had "nominated" Dorny for Dean, before, I belonged to the SAM! --I tell that story in my book!)

George Schindler, the current Dean, is a friend. I believe he belongs to the Parent Assembly. (Tell him that I sent you!) That should at least get you a free cup of coffee, after the meeting! He might even vote FOR you!

Best wishes,

Dick Oslund, Order of Merlin Excelsior! (66 years in the I Bother Magicians Club) --(only 41 years in the Some Are Magicians)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
kkaiser343
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of kkaiser343
I went on line to join SAM. I figured I would join the National Organization than pursue a local assembly. When I tried to join it asked for my local assembly number. Can I put that in even though I am not a member of the local assembly?
kkaiser343
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of kkaiser343
OK. it seems I need a sponsors name to join.
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
I would just show up as a guest and introduce yourself to the members. I'm sure someone would step forward to sponsor you.
at least that's true in my Assembly.
Ihor
billmarq
View Profile
Special user
State near Arizona
570 Posts

Profile of billmarq
When I joined the S.A.M. a few years ago they asked for a sponsor but did not require one. Try to apply and see what happens. Of course, Ihop's advice is good. Show up at a meeting. I am sure you will be welcomed.
Honi soit quit mal y pense.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Society of American Magicians! » » Parent assembly (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL