The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Best bizarre purchase of the year - vote for name of the trophy? (73 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Dr SH
View Profile
Elite user
French Spirit in Sydney
425 Posts

Profile of Dr SH
This is another exciting day in our community , Prof BC agreed to make a trophy to celebrate the best bizarre purchase of the year. This is a great step to celebrate and thank yearly our fantastic creator.

We are asking you to vote for the name of the trophy ?
Any idea ?
It is award from YOU guys ,we want you to decide of the name.

Prof BC suggested the Maskelyne Award as "John Neville Maskelyne *was* a genius. ", it would be a great homage.
What do you think? Any other name

I will run this thread for a couple of week before deciding the name of the award
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
Maskelyne Award, my vote (obviously).

BC
Phasmologist
greerj
View Profile
Loyal user
East Tennessee
283 Posts

Profile of greerj
Based on winning the trophy last year, and making the trophy this year, BC's vote for The Maskelyne Award is seconded.
Delimbeau
View Profile
Special user
May the magic be with you
596 Posts

Profile of Delimbeau
There is a high probability that Prof BC's will design the trophy for himself Smile. And well-deserved!
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Maskelyne is ok and certainly appropriate..after all, he got people to pay to take a dump...

But for the heck of it I want to toss in the Hammond Award...John Hammond...he really tried to deliver a good park after all...spared no expense...
all based on a Flea Circus.

" You know the first attraction I built when I came down from Scotland... was a flea circus. Petticoat Lane. Really..quite wonderful. We had uh...a wee trapeze, a merry-go-... carousel.Heh. And a see-saw. They all moved, motorized, of course, but people would say they could see the fleas, "Oh, mummy! I can see the fleas, can't you see the fleas?" Clown fleas, highwire fleas and fleas on parade. But with this place... I wanted to give them something that wasn't an illusion. Something that was real. Something they could see, and touch. An aim not devoid of merit."
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Delimbeau
View Profile
Special user
596 Posts

Profile of Delimbeau
I have just received Three wishes/Lycantrope moon. I think it did not get enough praise. Cheers, Luc.
Delimbeau
View Profile
Special user
596 Posts

Profile of Delimbeau
That was probably off-topic Smile
Bogbadger
View Profile
Special user
England
626 Posts

Profile of Bogbadger
Maskelyne Award for me too
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1815 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
It would have to be a Tony, wouldn't it? Having said that, Maskelyne has a nice double meaning.
The Supernaturalist
View Profile
Loyal user
The City of Lights
202 Posts

Profile of The Supernaturalist
Quote:
On Dec 24, 2016, Brynmore14 wrote:
It would have to be a Tony, wouldn't it? Having said that, Maskelyne has a nice double meaning.

Wow! Brynmore14 is on to something! Maskelyne gets might vote! 2 for 1 is a killer deal! Definitely double meaning time!
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
Quote:
On Dec 24, 2016, Brynmore14 wrote:

My thoughts exactly. If is was good enough for 'de Mage' . . . and the 'genius' label still fits!

Happy Christmas/Hanukkah,
BC
Phasmologist
Seance
View Profile
Elite user
Talking on the other side with
427 Posts

Profile of Seance
I will side with "Maskelyne" also -- double meaning, included. If this is not chosen, I'd suggest calling it "The Invocational", after the publication most associated with bizarre magic *AND* was edited in large by 'ye Mage'.
ThatsJustWrong!
View Profile
Special user
My flying monkeys are perched on
629 Posts

Profile of ThatsJustWrong!
Naturally, I have to go with the Tony (Maskelyne) Award too.
Joe Leo

All entertainers can benefit from some help from an experienced stage director. How about you?

www.MisfitMysteries.com
horus1
View Profile
Special user
645 Posts

Profile of horus1
Maskelyne!
Delimbeau
View Profile
Special user
596 Posts

Profile of Delimbeau
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
Whatever we choose to call the award, I have begun my initial sketches for it. It will (probably) be a depiction of the Roman Goddess Trivia.

Before you jump to conclusions over the rather unfortunate, 'trivial'-sounding name, here's the skinny on my girl: Trivia in Roman mythology was the goddess who "haunted crossroads, graveyards, and was the goddess of sorcery and witchcraft, she wandered about at night and was seen only by the barking of dogs who told of her approach." She was the equivalent of the Greek goddess Hecate, the goddess of witchcraft, the three-way crossroads and the harvest moon. She was an underworld Titan-goddess who assisted Jove in the Titanomachy and was therefore able to keep her powers. She was a friend of Ceres and helped her to find her daughter Proserpina. As a part of her role as an underworld goddess, she was known as the Queen of Ghosts.

It came down to Trivia and her Greek counterpart, Hekate, but I believe that I have plumped for the 'Queen of Ghosts' for this award. Good?

But, please, let's not call it the Trivia Award . . . sounds like something one might win with a group of mates on a Saturday pub night.

Delimbeau may be right that the Magic Circle would give us grief over calling it the Maskelyne (such a pity!) Here are some alternative suggestions:
the Magister Medeis Award (or just the Medeis Award)
the Sator Award
the Opifex Award
These all suggest 'building, making, creating' in Latin, which would be appropriate when combined with a Roman goddess trophy.

Thoughts?

BC
Phasmologist
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
Other thoughts:
The Andruzzi Award
The Punx Award
The Higley Award
The Shachnaey Award

BC
Phasmologist
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Perhaps The Dante Award or The Virgil Award? I like the notion of a returning visitor from the darkness who tells of what he or she saw.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
YitzhakNoDice
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
517 Posts

Profile of YitzhakNoDice
I have to suggest a Hebrew name, because that is what I would do. I suggest "Ba'al Beriah" or "master creator".
A wise man's question contains half the answer. - Solomon ben Judah, Philosopher
TEB3
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas
387 Posts

Profile of TEB3
Since the emphasis is Bizarre, I suggest either The Andruzzi or The Cameron (for Charles Cameron who has his own plaque as the godfather of modern bizarre magick on the Royal Mile). Natually he and Tony were close friends.

My friend Punx was a great mentalist and he did a good deal of storytelling but it would be stretch to classify his style and work as bizarre.

Lary/TEB3/Traveler

Click here to view attached image.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Best bizarre purchase of the year - vote for name of the trophy? (73 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL