The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Science ... Wrong again! Water Wrinkles ..... (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13 [Next]
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2017, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2017, stoneunhinged wrote:
Please go back to the posts about "proof" and "evidence," and might I humbly add the concept of "validity."

I've given up the efforts to un-conflate "proof" and "evidence" (like "faith" and "blind faith"). But good luck to you.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2017, stoneunhinged wrote:
Please go back to the posts about "proof" and "evidence," and might I humbly add the concept of "validity."

I've given up the efforts to un-conflate "proof" and "evidence" (like "faith" and "blind faith"). But good luck to you.

?
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2017, R.S. wrote:
Hmmm, I don’t know if I agree that “technology has caused more problems for the human race than it has solved.”

I'm not sure I agree with it myself. But it's a logical possibility, and Modern Empirical Science not only doesn't address it, but CANNOT address it. We need philosophy (or...ah...wait for it!...religion) to address such questions. It is entirely unscientific to assume that technology makes our world "better", because science must--it really MUST--remain silent about such questions, because they cannot be answered empirically.

But I'm with you in the spirit of this thread. I think you and I are addressing several other threads in this one, which may be unfair to poor Slim, who doesn't seem to be making any appeal to reason.

:)
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2017, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
Hmmm, I don’t know if I agree that “technology has caused more problems for the human race than it has solved.”

I'm not sure I agree with it myself. But it's a logical possibility, and Modern Empirical Science not only doesn't address it, but CANNOT address it. We need philosophy (or...ah...wait for it!...religion) to address such questions. It is entirely unscientific to assume that technology makes our world "better", because science must--it really MUST--remain silent about such questions, because they cannot be answered empirically.

But I'm with you in the spirit of this thread. I think you and I are addressing several other threads in this one, which may be unfair to poor Slim, who doesn't seem to be making any appeal to reason.

Which is to say, science does some things exceedingly well, and is completely unequipped to do other things well, if at all.

As any self-respecting scientist knows.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2017, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:

Thanks Stone. Yes, it's a logical possibility. Anyway, "religion" means different things to different people. To some, religion is merely a certain philosophy/worldview embraced by a group of people in the spirit of community and collaboration, sans any deity (although perhaps embracing a "spirituality" of some sort). And of course, to others it is a set of tenets strictly tied to a particular god belief. There may be other interpretations of it as well. It's not clear how you're using the term here.

If something can't be answered empirically, then the matter is necessarily subjective, no?

Best,

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
If you're the emporer you can be empirical, else you're subjective.

Meh

Or maybe they're just doing that to mess with you?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
That which makes people human is their imperfection and as a result of science, people are becoming inhuman, cruel.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2017, tommy wrote:
That which makes people human is their imperfection and as a result of science, people are becoming inhuman, cruel.

Nonsense.

I expected better than pure rhetoric from you.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
The USA military has the most advanced technology on earth and it has consequently become the most inhuman, cold blooded, heartless, drone-like, killing machine on the planet.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2017, NYCTwister wrote:
Quote:

Nonsense.

rhet·o·ric <ˈre-tə-rik> n

1: the art of speaking or writing effectively

Pure rhetoric - effective speech or writing – is laudable.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Nonsense is that which cannot be sensed by the senses and such is the spirit of a human being like magic. The audience members are there for is amusement and because they are there for their amusement, in the first place, to enter the spirit of the thing, they are willing to go along with the absurd suggestion which the magician makes. When at the climax the absurdity is proven it is the very absurdity of it that makes them smile. It is the element of absurdity which distinguishes our magic from charlatanry. Our magic is not simply magic but magic that is also funny because it is nonsense. Compare our magic to a science experiment; there is no spirit in science but only cold hard facts. The magics side of our magic is cruel because it is the cold hard facts of it. Our magic is human because it has heart and body.

Tommy
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
I was talking about your implying science is the/a cause of human cruelty.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I thought you were talking nonsense.

Tommy
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
You should have been a politician.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Simulators such as Virtual Afghanistan use head-mounted displays to create “immersive, interactive environments.” With the help of clinicians in controlled settings, soldiers are able to confront traumatic memories in a process called exposure therapy. By recalling distressing episodes from their past, soldiers learn to habituate themselves to those fearful experiences. Games help them manage their negative emotions and troubled thoughts. In addition, role-playing allows veterans to direct the actions of different characters (a military spouse, a social worker, a soldier with PTSD) to gain perspective and self-reflection. These game-based therapies have shown promising results in alleviating mental illness, serving as a bridge to traditional therapies and dissolving the stigma that sees counselling as a sign of weakness. So this tech then would help killers overcome such nonsense as remorse feelings about killing people and so on.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/a....../280486/ Smile

Tommy
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2017, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2017, NYCTwister wrote:
Quote:

Nonsense.

rhet·o·ric <ˈre-tə-rik> n

1: the art of speaking or writing effectively

Pure rhetoric - effective speech or writing – is laudable.

I always expect less than pure rhetoric from Tommy, but sometimes he surprises me.

NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
"language designed to have a persuasive or impressive effect on its audience, but often regarded as lacking in sincerity or meaningful content"

I was thinking of this.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1340 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2017, Slim King wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 10, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
Will you be doing it while spreading old wives tales about palm reading?

I will spread the truth as it is revealed in nature Smile

That's what scientists do...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
And what exactly do you think you have said above that has any "sincerity or meaningful content"?

Tommy
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Has “technology caused more problems for the human race than it has solved?”
I would say yes it has. Now that’s not saying all technology is bad, just that
we continue to say ‘back in the good ole days’ for a reason.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. Science is limited
simply because you can’t fix everything with a hammer.Smile

Tom
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Science ... Wrong again! Water Wrinkles ..... (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL