The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Looking for good routine for the Mental Logs (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1152 Posts

Profile of Corbett
I've heard that Docc Hilford has a good routine for these props in The Vault DVD. Can anyone else confirm this, or know of any other impactful presentations for this cool prop?
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2008 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I saw a friend's copy of a Hilford booklet in which he calls them Persian dice. Not a bad routine, but he moved years ago, so I don't have access to review in detail.

I found that I was not really inspired by the routine. As I recall, it was just the standard lightning addition trick with a subtlety I don't recall. Hilford is a remarkable showman, so I suspect anything he performs will be good in his hands.

The only thing that ever made me want a set was a post here on the Café about using them for numerology readings. You can glance and reduce to a lucky number for the day (write on your card) and give a reading on the other numbers as related to whatever you want to relate them to. Great idea, but still not enough to get me to purchase a set...

Patrick
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12232 Posts

Profile of John C
I think you can get a set for about 7 clams.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1152 Posts

Profile of Corbett
I have the set. Looking for a good routine with them.
MindAgent
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of MindAgent
I've had a set that's been gathering dust for years because they look very magicy. If there was a set that was carved from wood you could do some kind of presentation where the logs are some form of ancient divination tool maybe?
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
There are sets like that, there are multi colored sets made of plastic, and sets made of metal.
I've used the multi colored sets for readings, adding the color to the numerology.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2267 Posts

Profile of ddyment
I can confirm that Docc's routine ("Styx") in his The Vault DVD set is as good as it gets for this clever prop.
"Calculated Thoughts" now available at The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1738 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
You can get a set made of wood. Diamonds Jim Taylor markets such a set. It's great.
Escamoteur
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Escamoteur
I never did figure out what I would nowadays consider a "good" routine with these, but I will say I had a lot of fun with them back in high school.

However, the trick holds a very special place in magic for me. It initially was a trick that I did not want. I was at the first magic shop I ever visited in the late 1980's, and being heavily into close up magic had seen a lot of things demonstrated, including Mental Logs. Knowing that I had limited funds, I steered towards a number of other effects (at the time, seeing Scotch and Soda demonstrated and explained changed my paradigm of reality!). However, my father was quite fond of the trick, and insisted the salesperson add it in with the other items wanted. It was my first mental effect, and sparked my interest further in that area. When I revisited the shop I purchased Larry Becker's Flashback (which I had seen demo'd and also passed over). The Dover edition of Practical Mental Magic was purchased soon afterwards. So to this day I am thankful that I was exposed to that trick, and that my father insisted on it's purchase.

Carter
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4466 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
The Brian Watson pewter set looks pretty amazing (and has a nice routining to it).
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
MagicalEducator
View Profile
Veteran user
391 Posts

Profile of MagicalEducator
I can attest to the Brian Watson set which is very nice. Jeff McBride showed it to me and recommended highly. A numerology type routine is a very good idea it would seem otherwise you're left with?

jeff
Voted "Canada's Most Inspirational Magician"
Check out my column
"Magic is Education" @
www.VanishMagazine.com
rhettbryson
View Profile
Special user
Greenville, SC Not ashamed of his
550 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
Brian Watson has a final phase with a wallet prediction sealed in an envelope that is QUITE special!
newguy
View Profile
Veteran user
398 Posts

Profile of newguy
The best routine for the principle came in one of the Everyday Wonders sets.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Philemon , Jeff & Rhett, thank you very much gentlemen. Smile

Bri
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12232 Posts

Profile of John C
Bryce
View Profile
New user
Oxon, UK
92 Posts

Profile of Bryce
These look much nicer than the bright colored ones that are usually knocking about.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3456 Posts

Profile of Julie
With a little imagination you can create a strong mentalism presentation utilizing the Mental Logs as the key in a one ahead routine.

Julie
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12232 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2017, John C wrote:
Http://brianwatsonmagic.com/Store/product/mentallogs/

Got me a set.

Ok, so I forgot to get it in March. Just bought it now. Looks good.
paul180
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of paul180
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2017, Escamoteur wrote:
I never did figure out what I would nowadays consider a "good" routine with these, but I will say I had a lot of fun with them back in high school.

Presented as a skill that came with your psychic abilities or as a warm up to other mental routine it works well. Like Cassidy's memory with cards, it "legitimizes the whole thing" if done at the end and if done at the beginning can be more like "Deep Sea Digits" in Syzergy.
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a foolish man can learn from a wise answer.

Attributing negativity to a topic or post doesn't make the topic or post negative,
it shines a light on the negativity of the person or persons, making the attributions.

BEWARE these Debbie downers and anything they say. They simply lack the self esteem or good will, to be positive or productive. Your belief in self, is more
important and is all that matters, for your success to be glorious.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Looking for good routine for the Mental Logs (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL