The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » The best close-up card magicians in England (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
wisdom
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of wisdom
I see that this weenie personage is waxing irritable. In fact he is waxing so irritable that I am beginning to suspect that he is one of the supposed "top names" mentioned on this thread and his ego is showing through.

I did go to his website but it refused to tell me anything. All I got was the first page and it refused to show me any more no matter how I clicked away.

He has been most impertinent to me without any provocation at all. Surely we can have a difference of opinion without getting personal. I have not been rude to him. I would thank him not to be rude to me.

Not that I mind being insulted of course.That doesn't bother me in the slightest.In fact I rather enjoy it.
I just think that he should observe the proper decorum of this forum and state his points intelligently and courteously even though of course they are completely wrong.

I agree that we have been off topic. However he has encouraged me in my off topicness. Still, it is vaguely related to the subject of this thread and is certainly more educational.

I agree that we are being petty talking about spelling mistakes. After all, neither of us are trying to win the Booker Prize for world literature. I made my initial comment in a spirit of humour. He made his in a spirit of great venom. I rather think weenie does not understand humour. Perhaps he should get a sense
of it.

I shall try not to get personal. After all I fully understand that youth is wasted on the young. I only want to educate and help. If he continues to pay attention carefully and not interrupt the class I will do my level best to further his progress.

I can assure him that I have not been "angry" in the slightest. That would appear to be his domain. When I cause mischief I am always smiling as I am now.

With regard to his statement that I have no respect for others opinions I am afraid he is completely wrong. I have the utmost respect for anyone's opinion providing of course they agree with my own.

But let us get to the point. I am well aware that the direct method is the best. I suspect I was doing magic when the illustrious weenie was breast feeding. I know these things. I learned them a long time ago. I also learned a long time ago that showmanship is the most important element in magic. It is more important than the trick. The MAN (or woman) is always more important than the trick.

I can assure Weenie and Euan that I am technically skilled in sleight of hand. In fact I expect I know as many moves as they do and in fact probably more. And I can do them all perfectly. However, I have the sense and experience to know that they should not be my main focus. Or anybody's main focus come to that.

Technique is only a means to an end. The end is entertainment. A trick is simply a peg to hang your personality on. If you have no personality or showmanship abilities then you had better give up magic or learn pretty quick.

I have not said that you should only have 5 card sleights at your disposal. I merely said that it is all you need for the moment. Once you have those five perfected then it is time to develop your presentation. You can come back to the advanced stuff later. If you leave the presentation development too late you will get into the bad habit of losing yourself in the fascination of playing with intricate moves to the detriment of your performing skills.

Euan is incorrect when he says " 5 easy sleights" The sleights I have in mind are not easy at all and in fact I see that the so called master technicians often can't do them properly mainly because 3 of them take nerve and audacity. (the top change, the classic force and above all palming)Technicians aren't too well up on audacity, I am afraid.

Weenie wonders if I perform. This thread is not about me although I am perfectly happy to talk for hours and hours and hours and hours about myself. However I prefer to avoid doing this on the grounds of great humility.

I will simply say to him that I have performed all over the world in many types of venues. I am proficient in many different areas of entertainment. However, card magic is what I do best. I certainly feel qualified to advise about it.

My advice is learn to become a showman, no matter how difficult it is at first. The audience reaction will follow.
John McDonald
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester, England, UK
167 Posts

Profile of John McDonald
Quote:
On 2004-04-11 17:05, wisdom wrote:
When I cause mischief I am always smiling as I am now. I have the utmost respect for anyone's opinion providing of course they agree with my own.

I am smiling too. Smile
Best wishes John
wisdom
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of wisdom
I say. Do you mind,old chap?
I, Euan and Mr.Weenie were having a perfectly civilised nasty argument when you butted in.
Please let us get on with it.
You do not have to read our posts, you know. In fact I rather think it would be beneficial if you didn't.

I don't wish to be impolite and I certainly won't post in loud vulgar capitals but might I suggest that for the moment your presence would be improved by your absence?

Unless of course you have something constructive to post to our silly discussion.

You really have gone off topic and Weenie will not approve. He doesn't like that sort of thing you know.

We had better get back on topic. Well, fooler do. Who do YOU think is the best card magician in England? Oh and Scotland. Oh and Wales. Oh and Ireland. And the Channel Islands. And the Isle of Man. There. That should cover everybody. We must be politically correct here.

Well, old chap? Do tell. And please don't shout. There's a good chap. Some of us are rather old and deaf. Lots of people from magic clubs here, you know.

I hope Mr.Macdonald does not think I was talking to him. Now that I see the noisy chap's post has been deleted it may appear that I was replying to John.

He has a Scottish name so I wouldn't dream of being rude to him. Furthermore he has a sense of humour and doesn't shout in block capitals.
Craig Dickson
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Valley, NY
353 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickson
Guy Holingworth, Nick Einhorn, Michael Vincent and a host of killer close-up guys all belong to the magic Circle. The have club nights every Monday Night, and its a great way to learn everything about what is going on, plus see some of the best.
IanKendall
View Profile
Special user
Edinburgh
568 Posts

Profile of IanKendall
Wow, nice to see Mark Lewis back...

Take care, Ian
wisdom
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of wisdom
I quite agree. He probably is the best of the lot. I understand he is not from England though. Scotland I believe.
Not Edinburgh though.
Glasgow. Where all the card magicians fester.Although he festered before all the others festered. And even festered before the chief festerer(Roy Walton) arrived at Tam Shepherds Trick Shop.
I understand he festers elsewhere now though.
Pity you have never met him. He might have saved you from giving money to the run out boys.
Not one card magician mentioned here would have been able to do that for you in quite the same way.
Sheltered lives you know.
twitz
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of twitz
The run out boys you say? A smidgeon of copper malady my dear smorgusboard of inert cheeses!

Now distract me not from my studying of my thesaurus. Many untruths and kermudgeons I must uncover.. verily..

Onward
wisdom
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of wisdom
Twitz my boy. You sound unwell. I do hope you recover.

I will not elucidate further on the run out boys. I fear it may be a painful memory for young Kendall.

Let me say that these gentleman are far better masters of deception than anybody on here. I hope Euan and Weenie meet them some day. I think they would certainly learn something and I would rejoice greatly.

They even give away free playing cards. I am not sure all the clever people on here will like the quality though.

One of them explained the secret of Uri Geller's spoon bend and breaking years ago to me. He said "I know how that is done. He just uses the spoons we give away to people. One look and they bend and break!"

The run out boys are not great ones for value for money.

Oh dear. Weenie is getting upset that we are going off topic again.

I had better go.
Catmouth
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Catmouth
A bit off subject, but where in england/scotland are some magic shops( preferable card manipulations) ? I will be returning for another visit as long as they will have me and it seems many of you guys are from the UK. thanks in advance.
wisdom
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of wisdom
You are not allowed to go "off subject" Weenieboy will get upset.
On the other hand this thread has been shot to hell anyway. Something to do with me, no doubt.
If you are going to London then visit Davenports at Charing Cross Underground Station. You may have to step over various homeless people sleeping outside the shop in order to enter. Probably a professional magician or two among them.
If you go to Glasgow, Scotland then you head to Tam Shepherd's trick shop in Queen St where Roy Walton holds court. This is actually a branch of Davenports although a lot of UK magicians may not even realise they have another branch.
There are plenty of other shops in the UK. Perhaps you should tell us where you are going.
Catmouth
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Catmouth
Cool. didn't want to go into an big list of stops if I was going to get a repremand my first day here Smile ill be in london, bath, cotswalds, conwy, liverpool/blackpool, york, stirling, edinborough(misspelled of course) that's the list of big stops off the top of my head.thanks wisdom for the info.
IanKendall
View Profile
Special user
Edinburgh
568 Posts

Profile of IanKendall
No painful memories, Mark. In fact, I have a small perverse happiness that I saw the thing up close. Worth the small amount of cash I parted with.

Take care, Ian
zenmistress
View Profile
New user
London
34 Posts

Profile of zenmistress
For all you guys who have not yet had a chance to see Michael Vincent in the flesh, there is a great article about the life and works of this inspirational man in this week's 'The Voice' magazine. Available all good newsagents!
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Boy I love threads like this... they make me chuckle for days..

I have to agree with wisdom that it is not the number of sleights that matters but the way they are presented.

I have a real beef with card magic at the moment, namely that when I see videos of things now there is so much emphasis on the sleights that it starts to look unnatural. I am on a crusade to make every effect I do look like a normal handling of the cards.

Even when I see some of the people listed in this thread I often wonder why they can't see that what they do looks strange and the 'layman' will kow that something is happening.

I wish I could get out more and meet some of the 'natural' guys as I am basing my opinion on what I see on the internet and in card DVD's.

I love cards and can happily entertain for hours with a double lift, side steal, glide, palm and top change. I don't pass, I don't mexican turnover top change with a figaro transfer bullet move. Does this make me less of a man? I hope not Smile

I entertain, the cards are just a prop so people don't tell the overexcited guy to p**s off Smile
John McDonald
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester, England, UK
167 Posts

Profile of John McDonald
Quote:
On 2004-04-14 05:52, zenmistress wrote:

For all you guys who have not yet had a chance to see Michael Vincent in the flesh, there is a great article about the life and works of this inspirational man in this week's 'The Voice' magazine. Available all good newsagents!

or here. Thanks for the heads up.

http://www.voice-online.net/content.php?show=3718&type=7
Best wishes John
Graham Nichols
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Graham Nichols
It's great to see Michael get a mention. One of the nicest guy's you'll ever meet. Watch him one day and have your eyes checked out by your doctor the next! It looks like real magic.
MagicAces
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of MagicAces
Does anyone know if Guy Hollingworth is still preforming magic. I herd from one of my friends that he is a lawyer. Just wondering if he's coming out with any new videos or books.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4399 Posts

Profile of Paul
Re:
"Similarities can be drawn with Alex Elmsley in that he was not an outright entertainer."

Er...Peter Kane did his fair share of performing.

Craig said:
"Guy Holingworth, Nick Einhorn, Michael Vincent and a host of killer close-up guys all belong to the magic Circle. The have club nights every Monday Night, and its a great way to learn everything about what is going on, plus see some of the best. "

Isn't that the magic club in London that has a lot of non performers too? I know a lot of killer close uppers in the UK that are not members.

Nick Einhorn might be a nice guy and good performer,but one of the best close up card guys in England? You need to get around more on your visits, lol.

More interesting might be to find which close up card magician is earning the most (and it ain't me and I doubt anyone will volunteer).Smile

Paul.
Euan
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Euan
It's probably paul daniels
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Read a 13 April newspaper article on Michael Vincent here.
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » The best close-up card magicians in England (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL