The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Serlock season/series 4 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27097 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Without spoilers - any thoughts on this first episode?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1684 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster and son of the 14th-century King Edward III of England. Gaunt is Cumberbatch’s 17th great-grandfather and Doyle’s 15th great-grandfather. Living between 1340 and 1399, he became a patron and close friend of the poet Geoffrey Chaucer, author of The Canterbury Tales.
Small world.
Less than 2% of reported UFO's turn out to be actual interplanetary vehicles.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
I just watched it.

It feels to me that they are still losing their way. Too much emphasis on character development and not enough on the case.
Too much about Sherlock's emotions, and this whole John and Mary plus baby thing just feels weird to me.

Though, having read the original stories, I might be a little jaded.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27097 Posts

I was hoping the writers would spend more time in the story rather than in the tense silioques with string accompaniment explaining the evidence we did not have a chance to see or to watch sherlock see as a solution. I'd rather be shown than told.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16031 Posts

Profile of tommy
Olmes?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Sherlock lost the plot a long time ago. The writers are so far up their own arses they are working in the dark. It's a shame. it could have been great.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Sherlock lost the plot a long time ago. The writers are so far up their own arses they are working in the dark. It's a shame. it could have been great.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
The first two seasons were great imo.

The problem is Conan Doyle locked the characters in so tightly that adding to the lore just seems wrong.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16031 Posts

Profile of tommy
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1162 Posts

Profile of imgic
Just watched last night. There were a few times when Holmes, Watson, and Mary were rapidly bantering back and forth that I thought I was watching an episode of The Gilmore Girls. Would very much like to see future episodes focusing on cases and not caught up in spies and the boogeyman they're making Moriarity to be.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I'm afraid I'm a purist when it comes to Sherlock Holmes, and I just couldn't ever imagine myself watching these updated stories set in modern times with cell phones and the like.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Merenkov
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
Quote:
On Jan 15, 2017, arthur stead wrote:
I'm afraid I'm a purist when it comes to Sherlock Holmes, and I just couldn't ever imagine myself watching these updated stories set in modern times with cell phones and the like.

I felt exactly the same way until I actually watched the first few episodes, and then I was blown away. Sir Conan Doyle's characters are timeless, and it's ingenious how the writers were able to adapt them to a contemporary setting. Great production values, great actors, it's one of the BBC's finest exports.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
In my own personal reality, I'm living completely gadget-free, No cell phone, no twitter, no facebook, no ipad, no snapchat or whatever else. So I'm perfectly happy with my non-techno Sherlock.

By the way, a fantastic movie to see is Mr. Holmes. Well worth watching if you're a Holmes fan.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
Merenkov
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
Hmm, I don’t know about the film Mr. Holmes. I’m afraid I’m a purist when it comes to Sherlock Holmes, and I can’t really imagine myself watching him as some doddering old fool who can’t remember where he left his house keys….haha, just kidding, it’s been on my list to watch. I just needed a Holmes fan to prod me to watch it…
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Haha! Merenkov, you have a good sense of humor! Mr. Holmes is brilliant ... intriguing story, superbly written, filmed and acted. One off those rare gems of a movie that comes along once in a blue moon.

Years ago when I was on tour in Europe, I had a day off in London, and got to see Jeremy Brett and Edward Hardwick (famous for their 1984 - 1994 Sherlock Holmes TV series) in a theatrical adaptation of The Secret of Sherlock Holmes at the Wyndham’s Theatre. It was fabulous!
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27097 Posts

I read the Holmes stories, then the annotated version early and don't recall feeling that the stories were so much about impressing the reader with the writer's ability to be clever as they were adventures with some plot twists and then later some exposition. I just remember them as adventures.
Sherlock brings me closer to film school and screenwriting. So I feel impressed by the acting and directing and writing...but distant from the adventure.
The TV updated stories are probably fun reads as scripts... Recalling Alan Moore or Neil Gaiman's comic books where the scripts were published.
What do you think?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Serlock season/series 4 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL