The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Sketch by Joao Miranda and Julio Montoro (24 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
AceFace
View Profile
Veteran user
Tring UK
333 Posts

Profile of AceFace
Quote:
On Jan 16, 2017, SleepyMagic wrote:
This looks really good !! I was actually working on something similar but with a £5 note instead of a card...and my gimmick that I made didn't have any breakable or snappable parts... Here's a little video of it

https://youtu.be/jSToBSDjQwk

However, I'm still perplexed at how this works!! Looks amazing!!

Sleepy

I like that....looks really good 👍👍👍👍
tomdeg
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of tomdeg
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2017, João Miranda Magic wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2017, pegasus wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2017, MR Effecto wrote:
I never go with what pegasus says. This is on my wish list next. I trust João Miranda Magic 100%

Quote from tomdeg [Got mine today, the "special something" broke after practicing just a few times.
And I am NOT hard on my props.]

LMAO. Well it's about time you did start listening to me then, isn't it. Smile

I will replace any gimmick because as I said they are extremelly well made.

More than 1200 units have been sold now and this is the only complaint I have received.

May I ask, how do I go about getting mine replaced?
I would also like to purchase a couple "back-ups", as I do like the effect.
StarManager
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
845 Posts

Profile of StarManager
I'd like to get back ups with different cards. Possible to get cards and not the pad once an owner?
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2294 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Joao sells replacement cards on his website
StarManager
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
845 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Quote:
On Jan 19, 2017, Xcath1 wrote:
Joao sells replacement cards on his website

Thank you!

15 Euros for one.

For others interested you can choose the card and here's the description and link:

http://www.joaomiranda.com/store/index.p......ct_id=85

A extra gimmick card for sketch (one unit).

Please choose the card at the time of ordering: King of spades, jack of diamonds, king of clubs or queen of hearts.

If no card is referred we will send a random one.
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22048 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
World Product review, reviewed this effect this week, David Penn like it and will use it.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=289
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
KristoBall
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of KristoBall
Reviews on other sites (Penguin) have come in and aren't kind... for people who have this effect, is the method visible and obvious at close or mid-range? That was my fear from the trailer, and seems to be a building consenus along with the transformation not being as instant as it is on the trailer. I'm really interested in this one though, so any additional insight from actual purchasers would be much appreciated.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2294 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I have it. It is a piece of eye candy, it needs to be shown at a brisk pace and does not stand close scrutiny and needs the right spot in your set. Your eyes have higher "frame rate" than the camera I think so it is possible some "flipping" is visible but I think it looks pretty good. I have performed a few times (amateur) as an isolated effect and the responses have been so-so. It think one of the biggest issues is that a black and white rendition of the back of the card is not instantly recognizable to people so not everyone knows what it is when you show the drawing.
I perform Cardiographic on stage/parlor and it always gets screams, this has not played that way for me but I am not disappointed with the purchase and YMMV.
KristoBall
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of KristoBall
Thanks Xcath1 - very fair and honest review! Much obliged.
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1720 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
Product description : This another card revelation but not something you're used to see every day. The nice part here is that it's very very visual ! The idea is simple, you let a spectator select a card, then lost it in the deck. You bring out a pad, and try to draw the card the spectator is thinking of. When you show your drawing, you only drew the back of a card ! But, with a magical pass, the drawing is turning into a real card, the spectator's card ! As I said, it's very visual en very good, let me describe a little bit more why I find this amazing.

Price and where to buy it : This is sold at $39.95 and you can find it in nearly every Murphy's magic « partner » shop !

What you get : It seems that Joao have updraged his packaging, it was already the case with Rejoined, you get a very nice printed box with inside everything in order to perform the effect. You get a link for a Youtube video, quite quick, less than 10 minutes but you understand everything about the effect. I don't find the need of doing a 1h30 DVD when you can simply explain the effect in a small amount of time. In the package, you also get the pad. It's not a simple pad, it has been carefully crafted so you can use it over and over. You also get the gimmick, it's really well made even if I think it will need repair over time but I will go more in depth for that in the cons. Overall, you won't be disappointed with what you receive, the whole thing feels quality, as usual with Joao's releases !

Teaser : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3Fd4be-6AE

The pros and the cons : Here is the core of my review, let's begin with the cons, as I will usually be doing, I prefer to keep the good things for the end.

THE CONS :
- The gimmick is really well made but you will need to take care of it and repair it if needed (after a few hundred performance). It's not difficult at all but - I wished they included a section on how to repair your gimmick.
- You have to be careful about the lights condition as well, gimmick can flash.

THE PROS :
- The gimmick is really well made and works very well, they could have rushed the production but I think this one is handmade so kudos to them.
- The effect is amzingly visual, it's a dream of every child to make their drawing come true, you can do that with Sketch and it really looks like the drawing is morphing into a card.
- Since the pad was custom made, it has some velleda pages so you can write on it with a dry earse marker and erase it very easily ! So you don't have to use a page per performance.
- You can draw on the gimmick, it had so much to the visual side of the trick, they feel you're drawing on the page while you're setting up for the transformation.
- There is aversion taught so you can do this trick with a signed card ! This technique can also be used in order to change the face of the card you want to reveal !
- The release system is brilliantly simple ! All 5 fingers can be seen around the pad when the drawing is morphing, the système they thought is one of the simplest and the best I've seen for this kind of product.
- The reset takes only a few seconds and it's very easy to do. You don't need a gimmick in your deck so you can even borrow one if you want.

Overall rating : This is good ! It's a very nice card revelation, very visual. I don't see myself carrying the pad just for this effect but you can use it to reveal other things such as words from a booktest routine, 3.5/4 hearts.

As for the difficulty level, it's very simple, you'll need a force, the activation of the gimmick is easy, I would say 2/5 stars.

Similar products : Pop Art by Mark Southworth is in the same mood, you show a deck printed on a pad, then make it appears. 3D Advertising is a nice trick too.

If you like my reviews, you can check them out here : http://lesavisdalexis.wixsite.com/reviews
Get yourself the Flap Cards guide : http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4435

Make sure to check my review website, new reviews coming every week ! http://lesavisdalexis.wix.com/reviews
Joao Miranda Magic
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of Joao Miranda Magic
Here is one more review from Alakazam:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Te6mN1a8RdQ

Enjoy!

:)
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2369 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
We have Sketch coming back into stock on Monday Smile
Mark Traversoni

www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3535 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
While the effect can be good in the right setting, the trailer is misleading. it shows the participant cupping his hands and the performer makes the card pop off the sketch pad into their hands.

THIS CANNOT BE DONE WITH A REAL PARTICIPANT.

This sort of misleading advertising is what gives magic sellers a bad name.

Also, I would say that this is not something that should be performed too close-up. I would say that within around ten feet, depending upon the lighting, a participant will see that this is not a drawing on a pad.

I think there might be a better method to accomplish this.

KJ
Christian Rey
View Profile
Regular user
Magician'y toast...to my
135 Posts

Profile of Christian Rey
Just picked up my copy of SKETCH from the Magic Apple in Studio City, CA.

Here's my review:

Upon opening the SKETCH box. I was surprised to see the gimmick without actually watching the instructional vid yet.

The product comes out of the box, READY to go.

The instructional vid is just over 8 min total running time.

They go over the gimmick, how to get the card to 'POP' off the page as they do in the trailer.

They also go over how to switch out the gimmick for examination, and how to 'F---E' the card on to the spec.

I decided to dig up my "The F----s Project" DVD by BBM. And see what works best with this effect, or what flows best for me at least.

The gimmick itself is unique to say the very least....I'm not sure I've seen anything quite like it before. It feels well built at first try.

I had a tiny bit of a tough time trying to figure how the SKETCH drawing pad actually was supposed be held and with how many pages flipped over your palm as you begin to draw on it.

After a few tries I figured out what felt best for me. Once I had a rhythm going I had the card jumping out on command....I must had practiced with it at least 10 or 12 times in a row...and the gimmicked didn't break or falter in anyway.

They recommend not trying to catch the gimmick in mid air, in case you miss and the card hits the floor....however of course I had to try it...and I caught it once out of all the times I tried which was like 10 or 12. So yeah I agree. Probably best to just cup your hands under the pad. Although I would say if you can catch that baby almost overtime mid-air style...GO FOR IT. It looks super awesome with a mid-air catch.

Everything seems to be right in my book. I agree with the folks that say its best to not do this effect all up in someones face. Not at all for close-up. But you can stand a few feet back, in a properly lit setting, not too bright. But imagine a restaurant type of dim lighting. That kind of atmosphere with work smoothly with this effect.

The gimmick kind of makes a slight noise, but really you can just click your tongue to cover the sound. I actually think if your clever enough you can say something like, "...you can actually almost HEAR the moment the card morphed into existence..." as the card POPS off the page.

All in all this effect is absolutely brilliant, well thought out, well built, and well explained.

Definitely worth the $40 price...probably worth more IMO just because of the sheer impact it has on people. Its shocking to laymen to see something so instant like that. And the cover to pull the switch is done at the moment they are trying to contemplate what just happened. It happens as fast as the gimmick doing the work...in one complete seamless motion.

Practice that enough, and you'll see this effect is something special.

My question is when will there be refills on the gimmick itself once it gets worn out or eventually needs to be replaced? I'd say at this point this effect is so darn good I'd pay another $40 just to have a back up. But would also love to use that $40 to just buy a pack of 3 refills if possible?

SKETCH gets a solid 95% from me. Its a great effect, totally creative and fresh, and the name works right into my entire life. Hats off guys, really well done. Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
My first name rhymes with Magician
John Gerard
View Profile
Loyal user
Guam
236 Posts

Profile of John Gerard
While performing this, my main concern is lights from either the left or right that may cause shadows of the special something. It will be going into my next kids show for sure. Also, for a person who does a strolling gig, this makes for a nice effect to do if the event coordinator asks for a couple of effects to show "on stage". The effect happens elevated and people can see the effect from a distance.
Joao Miranda Magic
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of Joao Miranda Magic
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2017, Christian Rey wrote:

Here's my review:

Upon opening the SKETCH box. I was surprised to see the gimmick without actually watching the instructional vid yet.

The product comes out of the box, READY to go.

The instructional vid is just over 8 min total running time.

They go over the gimmick, how to get the card to 'POP' off the page as they do in the trailer.

They also go over how to switch out the gimmick for examination, and how to 'F---E' the card on to the spec.

I decided to dig up my "The F----s Project" DVD by BBM. And see what works best with this effect, or what flows best for me at least.

The gimmick itself is unique to say the very least....I'm not sure I've seen anything quite like it before. It feels well built at first try.

I had a tiny bit of a tough time trying to figure how the SKETCH drawing pad actually was supposed be held and with how many pages flipped over your palm as you begin to draw on it.

After a few tries I figured out what felt best for me. Once I had a rhythm going I had the card jumping out on command....I must had practiced with it at least 10 or 12 times in a row...and the gimmicked didn't break or falter in anyway.

They recommend not trying to catch the gimmick in mid air, in case you miss and the card hits the floor....however of course I had to try it...and I caught it once out of all the times I tried which was like 10 or 12. So yeah I agree. Probably best to just cup your hands under the pad. Although I would say if you can catch that baby almost overtime mid-air style...GO FOR IT. It looks super awesome with a mid-air catch.

Everything seems to be right in my book. I agree with the folks that say its best to not do this effect all up in someones face. Not at all for close-up. But you can stand a few feet back, in a properly lit setting, not too bright. But imagine a restaurant type of dim lighting. That kind of atmosphere with work smoothly with this effect.

The gimmick kind of makes a slight noise, but really you can just click your tongue to cover the sound. I actually think if your clever enough you can say something like, "...you can actually almost HEAR the moment the card morphed into existence..." as the card POPS off the page.

All in all this effect is absolutely brilliant, well thought out, well built, and well explained.

Definitely worth the $40 price...probably worth more IMO just because of the sheer impact it has on people. Its shocking to laymen to see something so instant like that. And the cover to pull the switch is done at the moment they are trying to contemplate what just happened. It happens as fast as the gimmick doing the work...in one complete seamless motion.

Practice that enough, and you'll see this effect is something special.

My question is when will there be refills on the gimmick itself once it gets worn out or eventually needs to be replaced? I'd say at this point this effect is so darn good I'd pay another $40 just to have a back up. But would also love to use that $40 to just buy a pack of 3 refills if possible?

SKETCH gets a solid 95% from me. Its a great effect, totally creative and fresh, and the name works right into my entire life. Hats off guys, really well done. Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

Hi,

First thank so much for the great review.

Regarding extra cards you can find them at www.joaomiranda.com
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3535 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2017, Christian Rey wrote:

what a coincidence. I picked mine up from the magic Apple in Studio City as well. Brent is a great guy!

kj
Big Bad Baz
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Big Bad Baz
Sadly only after 4 days the gimmick needs replacing. I have used about 12 times!!
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
777 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
GREAT EFFECT GUYS.!!!!!
Peace on the Magical Streets
~Nick V.~
fcchief1
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of fcchief1
Just received this today here in Japan. Opened it up and went to watch the tutorial. Upon trying to set up the gimmick, it broke. In addition the pad seems to be a little large for smaller hands in the handling. I could not get it to do what the tutorial showed. Not sure if I can get the gimmick fixed or not as it is kind of hard here to find certain items. Not happy at all with this and I would say that just looking at it, you would need 7ft or more to perform, definitely is not a table hopping close up as you will probably be called out on the gimmick. Sorry but I can't recommend this, maybe the first run had better production, construction and quality control???
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Sketch by Joao Miranda and Julio Montoro (24 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL