We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Sketch by Joao Miranda and Julio Montoro (24 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1719 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
My gimmick is in perfect shape.

I think every magician should learn how to repair their gimmick in case something like this happens. It's not hard at all and could save you time and money.
Get yourself the Flap Cards guide : http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4435

Make sure to check my review website, new reviews coming every week ! http://lesavisdalexis.wix.com/reviews
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4611 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2017, Alex DLF wrote:

I think every magician should learn how to repair their gimmick in case something like this happens. It's not hard at all and could save you time and money.

I agree Alex. But I think the point is when Joao stated this,

"I can guarantee 100% that the gimmick is NOT fragile.

That statement is totally false.

We tested the gimmick more than 20.000 times and still works like the first time. ",

was a little misleading since we now see more than one person having trouble with their gimmick with very limited use. That kind of statement from a creator can really result in some backlash. Better to be up front in the beginning if you plan on creating and selling future effects as the trust factor in what the creator states will begin to diminish. That's why one should never "guarantee 100%" on a product that is made with certain materials that can obviously break.

I have found when a creator comes and makes statements like "guarantee 100", I have found it better to wait a while for some reviews. Hence, broken gimmicks right out of the box. I do love the visuals of this effect but for $40.00 it at least should not break right out of the box.

RNK
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
764 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
I'm wondering.... just wondering.... if those that had their gimmicks break quickly were opened properly.
There are TWO ways that the gimmick can open.
The right way...which there is no resistance and the wrong way...where you feel it gives you some tension.

I found myself experimenting with it and was tempted to continue to open the side where it was giving me some resistance.
I immediately STOPPED and prepared the gimmick from the OTHER side. (As demonstrated in the tutorial instructional video)
It opened up just fine.

I believe the creators had very good intentions in mind which truly was for them to create an effect where the concentration was on the presentation.

My package seems to be complete thus far and I look forward to performing with it.
It would be nice though to have a spare gimmick just as a back up.
Seems like a great effect and lots of fun for the spectators.
Peace on the Magical Streets
~Nick V.~
fcchief1
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of fcchief1
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2017, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2017, Alex DLF wrote:

I agree Alex. But I think the point is when Joao stated this,

"I can guarantee 100% that the gimmick is NOT fragile.

That statement is totally false.

We tested the gimmick more than 20.000 times and still works like the first time. ",

was a little misleading since we now see more than one person having trouble with their gimmick with very limited use. That kind of statement from a creator can really result in some backlash. Better to be up front in the beginning if you plan on creating and selling future effects as the trust factor in what the creator states will begin to diminish. That's why one should never "guarantee 100%" on a product that is made with certain materials that can obviously break.

I have found when a creator comes and makes statements like "guarantee 100", I have found it better to wait a while for some reviews. Hence, broken gimmicks right out of the box. I do love the visuals of this effect but for $40.00 it at least should not break right out of the box.

RNK

I will attempt to repair it, if I can find more of a certain something. Am here in Japan for 3 months and since I don't read kanji, katakana or hirakana will have to try and find the something, easier said than done!! Secondly I followed the tutorial that was given on opening the gimmick. There was very little resistance but when I got it about 3/4 way open that is when both sides broke. I do not see any other way of opening it other than what was shown on the video. Granted I had to wait for this since it was backordered for some time so that is why I conjectured on whether there was a hurry to get more made to meet the demand and may have caused quality issues.
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
764 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2017, fcchief1 wrote:

I will attempt to repair it, if I can find more of a certain something.

Me too. This effect is truly visual and a winner when everything is set up right.

Also, A friend of mine said you really need to work those gimmicks SLOWLY at first.
Remember they were sitting in a box and sitting in a warehouse for a little while prior to it reaching your doorstep.

I really do like this effect.
Having a reliable gimmick makes this thing a winner.

Quote:
On Feb 7, 2017, RNK wrote:
Hence, broken gimmicks right out of the box. I do love the visuals of this effect but for $40.00 it at least should not break right out of the box.

RNK

Agreed.

I Pmed the creator about my situation. He did say earlier that he would replace the gimmick if any breaks.
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2017, Joao Miranda Magic wrote:

I am so confident with the durability of the gimmick that I will replace the gimmick for free if any breaks.

This is how confident I am about the product.

Good enough?

Sounds good enough for me.
Peace on the Magical Streets
~Nick V.~
Big Bad Baz
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Big Bad Baz
I fixed mine and it's working fine. But maybe th inventor needs to be honest instead of lying about their product. Even the company I purchased from said in their video review 'l 'there nothing to break" !

So sad when profit come before truth.
Sparkybear
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Sparkybear
Aaaaarrrrggggghhhhhh!!!!

I got my Sketch about 3 weeks ago, practiced with it, got on great with it and have used it a lot, well over 100 times. I mainly do table hopping with some parlour. I have found that table hopping takes waaaayyyyy to much management... FOR ME!! That said parlour or as an "encore" for all tables in restaurant at end of the night its perfect.

The point of me writing though is more to do with the usual question you get on threads about being able to give out for inspection etc etc. Then you get the usual answer audience management etc etc. Well last night I saw 100% why we always have this argument all the time. don't get me wrong I know what can go wrong and where people get themselves into trouble with this scenario, but last night just emphasized the problem all the more.

Like I said I have performed this trick over 100 times. In that time I have NEVER been asked to give a spec the pad...NEVER!!!! The note pad sits on the table, I open it up to do the sketch, do the drawing (with some patter) show them the back of card and reveal.... Voila, good response and move one.

Last night I was out with the other half and a mate and his wife at local restaurant. My mate has seen me do this trick a few times and hated that he couldn't figure it out. A magician did some table hopping and then did a short parlour show. Midway through it, out came sketch. 1/2 way through the guys presentation my mate had sussed almost exactly what was going on. Why? Dead simple. The magician made the classic and simple mistake of showing how "normal the pad was" even emphasizing the point by literally saying "look, this is just a normal notepad" whilst thumbing through the pages. on top of that his handling of the notepad screamed, that aint a normal notepad. The guilt transmitted by his handling and the look on his face was unbelievable. The whole thing just screamed, and I literally mean SCREAMED, that's a trick notepad. By the end of it, my mate knew but didn't say anything about it publicly, but a couple of people around us wanted to see the notepad. One guy even said "its a trick notepad".

The guy earned that I was a magician when he visited our table during the night and so afterwards had a chat with me. I told him that I had Sketch and how much I liked it. He told me he didn't like it and was going to dump it from his act because he always got called on it. Long and short of it, I told him why, and in a backroom of the restaurant showed him how I presented it and showed him WHY he was getting called on it. His problem wasnt even as hard as "audience management" just a simple case of guilt and the need to prove "nothing to see here".

Then when I looked through this thread I noticed on page 1 a link to Joao Miranda's own site. On looking there I saw a video that shows exactly what I witnessed last night.... if you watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UqPtlsa-nE

You will see exactly what I mean.....aaarrrgggghhh Its a note pad, nothing more, nothing less, just open the bloody thing, draw your prediction and move on. Why make a big deal of a sketch pad???

Maybe it will help some fellow beginners to see why you might be getting too much heat on gimmicks etc.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Sketch by Joao Miranda and Julio Montoro (24 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL