The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Pocket Mentalism - The Nano Book Test (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1663 Posts

Profile of elimagic
My order is in. Smile I have a thing for book tests and I love the size of these, really fantastic. What really pushed me over the age though, was Looch having the wonderful idea to provide users with a replacement at a minimal fee. To me that is wonderful. I, like many of you, like the books I use for my book tests to appear well read, battered, just like books. However, I think because of the particular size and style of the Nano books, that will lend me to want them to look newer, not tatty or well worn as I don't think that would lend themselves to these. Thank you Looch for offering this. I cannot wait to get it.

-Eli
MagicalEducator
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of MagicalEducator
The MWP and blagging concepts are just brilliant thinking. Just ordered the double set. Very smart and original thinking involved in this work.

Jeff
Voted "Canada's Most Inspirational Magician"
www.MagicalEducator.com

Check out my column "Magic is Education" in Vanish Magazine
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Jan 14, 2017, Looch wrote:
To future proof original owners of AREA Nano (bought through me at www.readmymind.co.uk) I will be offering a trade in service whereby 'tatty' and 'well used' copies can be sent back to me, and upon receipt I will post out a brand new shiny copy for a massively reduced price (TBD)

Atlas this is a great offer and I think goes well beyond normal customer service! Thank you!
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Jan 15, 2017, MagicalEducator wrote:
The MWP and blagging concepts are just brilliant thinking. Just ordered the double set. Very smart and original thinking involved in this work.

Jeff

yes MWP principal is really clever and I really appreciate the level of work that must have gone into this! And now what does MWP stand for well simply put it means your spectator's mind will pop! But I am not telling you what it really stands for. Smile
otreboR
View Profile
Veteran user
The Netherlands
398 Posts

Profile of otreboR
I hope this will be released in different languages some day.
Starting with DUTCH. Smile
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3235 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I bought this just after Christmas and have this with me at virtually every performing opportunity. My one regret is that I did not go for the two book version.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
Quote:
On Jan 14, 2017, dave_matkin wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 9, 2017, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
I love this and the built in crib is genius. I had to look in the manual to find out where it is only to discover it was staring me right in the face the whole time.

Mark

You beat me to saying this Mark. I deliberately went looking for the crib AFTER looking at the word list - not memorizing all words but looked at it. I could not see it anywhere.... I spent 2 days looking and finally went to the instructions (Emailed to you as soon as you place your order so you can read them right away -great idea Looch!). Well, I about kicked myself. How did I not see the crib?

I emailed Looch and told him he is one devious cunning "expletive"!!! Smile

Not performed it yet but will be in the next few days.

Well worth the investment - it's a great product, well packaged (very well!) and incredibly professional looking. I am a huge Looch fan - but it is really really good!

A sticker for a pen would be greatly appreciated by the way. Smile as well as the crib...

Lol...Im glad you are liking it. The crib is a great addition to the cover, and I appreciate you censoring out the expletive lol
Smile
Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/ Learn Mentalism with the Pro's: https://www.mymind.rocks
Paul S Wingham
View Profile
Inner circle
1378 Posts

Profile of Paul S Wingham
Quote:
On Jan 10, 2017, Looch wrote:
Mark has the normal edition (Green) cover.

One of the things I developed for the original AREA was a crib that was printed onto a label. I stuck this on my marker pen and could use it when needed as I was writing. ;-) If your eyes aren't perfect then that's certainly something to consider....In fact I might actually see if Phill can produce a generic Marker label crib and have it uploaded onto the website for download Smile

I think this would be a great idea but the crib on the book is very cool and readable in al but the worst light for me.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
That's good to know Paul.

The Blue/Pink cover is actually easier to read than the Green but Im getting older now so maybe I just prefer the lighter colours.

On a slightly different note, has anyone who ordered (except the past few days) not received there's yet? I know Brett is still waiting which concerns me slightly. Any more?
Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/ Learn Mentalism with the Pro's: https://www.mymind.rocks
FJR
View Profile
Regular user
London
129 Posts

Profile of FJR
Yes, this is a great creation. I have a lot of b**k tests - too many! The quality of this is excellent. Unlike some, these look (apart from the size perhaps) like regular books. Too many of these types of effects look like tatty pulps, or very cheaply made books designed by the severaly aesthetically-challenged. For people of a literary bent, who read books, and who perform for people who are literate, having a book that looks like a 'quality' book, like Hedan's brilliant 'Babel', or Philpott's 'Tossed Out...' is a real boon.

I will chime in on the readability of the crib on the green book though. I find it virtually illegible, but I bought the double-set and it's way easier to read on the additional blue book, so I shall perhaps 'steer' people to use the green one! In saying this, I do tend to not use cribs and memorise things instead for all the different b**k tests I own/use, and am working with memory systems anyway. However, as Mark points out above, when one has lots of lists etc. to remember for different books/effects, and one might not have used a particular book in a while, a well-placed (and legible) crib is a great crutch and relief.

Excellent creation. Thanks for sharing.

Best,
Francis
Flaneur / Gentleman Amateur
Member of the I.B.M - Ring 25
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
Thanks for your feedback Francis!

Interestingly you mentioned about having both books in play, I did this at my last show (bear in mind I've been using the original 2010 version of AREA for years) and equivoquated the green book into play leaving the blue face down in front of me. Perfect for if I needed the crib (these days I don't but still it's nice that it was there)

An added note: the cribs intended use is not for the word list. It's to help cue the letter post MWP. Smile
Yuan Moons
View Profile
Veteran user
348 Posts

Profile of Yuan Moons
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2017, FJR wrote:
Yes, this is a great creation. I have a lot of b**k tests - too many! The quality of this is excellent. Unlike some, these look (apart from the size perhaps) like regular books. Too many of these types of effects look like tatty pulps, or very cheaply made books designed by the severaly aesthetically-challenged. For people of a literary bent, who read books, and who perform for people who are literate, having a book that looks like a 'quality' book, like Hedan's brilliant 'Babel', or Philpott's 'Tossed Out...' is a real boon.

I will chime in on the readability of the crib on the green book though. I find it virtually illegible, but I bought the double-set and it's way easier to read on the additional blue book, so I shall perhaps 'steer' people to use the green one! In saying this, I do tend to not use cribs and memorise things instead for all the different b**k tests I own/use, and am working with memory systems anyway. However, as Mark points out above, when one has lots of lists etc. to remember for different books/effects, and one might not have used a particular book in a while, a well-placed (and legible) crib is a great crutch and relief.

Excellent creation. Thanks for sharing.

Best,
Francis

I found the crib illegible too even in normal lighting. I thought it must be my eyes as other find it ok. I like it a lot but the crib is unusable for me.
FJR
View Profile
Regular user
London
129 Posts

Profile of FJR
Just to note that my comments about the script on the back of the green book (main one) being difficult (not impossible) to read were not meant to be taken as a serious criticism at all. The fact that there is a crib at all is a boon, and not at all expected as obligatory. Many b**k tests don't include cribs, and I always expect to memorise things when I buy a new one. If there is some sort of crib, such as with the Shakespeare one or Philpott's lovely poetry one, then this is a boon.

The ones I use most regularly, such as 'mother', Babel, or a couple of others, don't provide cribs. You can always rustle up your own if needs be. In fact, I like using different memory systems to remember such things as it gives a tremendous freedom in performance which a crib would detract from a bit. And I'm alwys rather chuffed with myself for remembering 'the works' pretty easily with simple memory systems! I do appreciate the effort you put into the instructions on how to easily memorise what needs to be memorised. Very helpful.

I also didn't praise the fact that this book really allows the great effect of pulling individual letters from a spectator's mind before anything is said by them at all - an ingenious method, and it adds greatly to the reality and impact of the effect.

A highly recommended purchase for any aspiring 'international man (or woman) of mystery'.

Best,
Francis
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3235 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I feel the crib should be used only as a very last resort. It is reassuring to have but I am also pleased it is no way obvious or easy for a keen-eyed spectator to see.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
One of the things I wanted to address from the first incarnation of AREA was the balance of both stories. In the first book the first story was slightly longer which meant took up more of the book. This obviously caused a bias in terms of how many people would access the first story. Now they have been balanced out equally, do you find your participants tend to open in the first half or the second?

Kind regards
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
For those wanting a virtual taste of just how Nano is Nano....see the 1/1 scale image here: http://www.readmymind.co.uk/uncategorized/nano-is-nano/
FJR
View Profile
Regular user
London
129 Posts

Profile of FJR
I tried it out for the first time this week. Very successful! Used both books for the litle helper. It was a casual environment with my students, where moving about a bit, holding up my writing pad (Nyman's Pro-Pad is a great 'invisible' hiding-place for lots of such things) with the the helper right by my pad.

Cue shocked and bewildered students. The reveal was nicely acted out, if I do say so myself, with a brief 'struggle' here and there, before the dramatic and incremental revelation. The fact one can reveal some letters right off the bat, and locate their relative positions to one another, is an incredibly powerful convincer.

As it was asked, the word they chose came from the second story. It can be hard to discern this (first or second) precisely sometimes over a certain distance, but this is not a problem.

Great stuff!

Francis
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
Quote:
On Jan 27, 2017, FJR wrote:
I tried it out for the first time this week. Very successful! Used both books for the litle helper. It was a casual environment with my students, where moving about a bit, holding up my writing pad (Nyman's Pro-Pad is a great 'invisible' hiding-place for lots of such things) with the the helper right by my pad.

Cue shocked and bewildered students. The reveal was nicely acted out, if I do say so myself, with a brief 'struggle' here and there, before the dramatic and incremental revelation. The fact one can reveal some letters right off the bat, and locate their relative positions to one another, is an incredibly powerful convincer.

As it was asked, the word they chose came from the second story. It can be hard to discern this (first or second) precisely sometimes over a certain distance, but this is not a problem.

Great stuff!

Francis

Hi Francis, thanks for your post. I enjoy reading that people are enjoying performing with Nano and getting great reactions!

Smile
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1130 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
I've been playing with this but I haven't put it into regular use yet. I do quite like the Area concept. I'm not sure about all the ways it's suggested to be used. If you ever make a video of this in play I'd love to see you do it Looch. Some of it makes perfect sense to me and other ideas would be overly involved in process for me. My biggest concern is that I've never seen a novel quite this small, nor do I know where one would buy such tiny books where I live. I looked at a book store and no such books were there. I'll probably end up making up a story about buying them while traveling. Which will then just end up being back story in my head. Etc... However, while I am curious what the reactions will be to such a small book, I also don't think it will take away too much from the performance as it's just a vehicle to having a word selected.

For those who have the original and the nano I'm curious which you will be using more.
Belief Manifests Reality.
Nebula CT: https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8517
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
This doesn't really answer your question -as I have neither

But it seems as a range of Area books are in the pipeline

So I held off of the Nano version for two reasons:

1. It will look a little strange it being so small – although these books are apparently sold at book shops in the UK, I thought the ones that were, were most BS self-help books
2. I think the size makes it less impressive both at the time, and after the fact. Even if two books had the same number of words in them, if one is tiny – that will be memorable – ‘oh he got a word I read, in a tiny book’ – it doesn’t have as much impact [to me] – I understand it’s great for acts pocket space

Those are my thoughts

I would love to see videos of people working this

And I would love to know when the normal sized versions are due out
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Pocket Mentalism - The Nano Book Test (14 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL