The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Live to 120! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3668 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I just saw a really interesting BBC Documentary about the power of fasting.

It's called:

Eat, Fast & Live Longer BBC Documentary

Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihhj_VSKiTs

The thing that was amazing to me was how scientists have discovered that our bodies are triggered into "healing" mode when we fast and "growing" mode when we eat. It was also interesting to find out that studies show the human metabolism rises during fasting, not that it lowers as most "dieticians" say.

I started the 5-2 diet a couple weeks ago and noticed huge improvements in my health in just two weeks.

check it out.

BTW... here is something you can do without having to spend a penny.

KJ
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
You're preaching to the choir, as far as I'm concerned.

It's something you have to experience.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3668 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
NYCTwister,

Have you been doing this for a while? That is your experience? What are your thoughts?

I am very new to this.

KJ
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
I've known about the benefits of fasting for about thirty years, but have only practiced it for ten.

I'm 54 now and ten years ago I started noticing myself slow down and get sick more often, so I revisited the books in my library and tried it for three days. That showed me the benefits and, while not a fanatic, I've continued since then.

I go 36 hours once a week, which is time enough to give your organs a complete rest.
Three times a year I go 72 hours, and for the last three years I've gone 7 days, once a year, since I've spent the winters in Florida.

I'm thinking of doing a complete fast with no set limit this year. I'll definitely go two weeks.

You're always hungry during the 36-72 hour fasts, it's a primal survival mechanism.
During the 7 day fasts it goes away around day four or five. Your body realizes that the hunger signal isn't getting it anywhere.
The hardest thing to deal with isn't really the hunger per se, it's not eating when we're used to eating.
We've been programmed to eat at certain times and it's a hard habit to get over.
The best way I've found to deal with it is to schedule it during times you know you'll be busy, so you'll be distracted. Drinking a big glass of water also helps deal with the urges.

I'm always busy on Sunday; so my dinner tonight is it, until lunchtime Monday.

Like I said, you have to experience it.
It's definitely not for everyone, and can be dangerous for some, diabetics in particular.

As for the 5:2 diet it's not a true fast, but anytime you severely reduce your caloric intake you benefit, imo.

The food most eat, myself included at times - and until ten years ago all the time, leaves so much junk in our blood, and our colons. There's plenty for the body to use as fuel for a long time, before it's ever in danger of starving.

I could go on forever since this is an area of interest to me, but if you like, I HIGHLY recommend the "Tao of Health, Sex, and Longevity" by Daniel P. Reid.

He shows how it's a part of an overall healthier lifestyle, among a lot of other things; while giving a straightforward explanation of the process.

Thanks for starting this thread.

I believe that in humanities struggle to overcome it's own stupidity, we have to re-examine the type of food we eat, and why, and the way we get it.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3668 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Thanks, that was helpful.

I have no problem going two days with minimal calories. I probably average around 200 calories during those days, drinking water with just a little vegetables blended in (cucumber, carrot, and red pepper). For some reason I don't experience too much hunger. I do this at work where I don't really have a regular food schedule anyway. The biggest issue is when I get home and my family is eating a "normal" dinner.

So far, it is working well for me and I'm starting to lose some of my midsection weight.

KJ
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3668 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
BTW, I am 54 as well.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3668 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I ordered the book you recommended for $2 on Amazon (used). Thanks for the recommendation.

kj
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Cool.

Lmk what you think?
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3668 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I have lost 15 pounds so far, I feel great, and I did experience my metabolism increasing when I fasted, not decreasing.

Also, I think my body is detoxing because I have had to go to the bathroom way more often than normal. Hopefully that isn't TMI, but I think it is related to me feeling great.

kj
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2017, NYCTwister wrote:
I go 36 hours once a week, which is time enough to give your organs a complete rest.
Three times a year I go 72 hours, and for the last three years I've gone 7 days, once a year, since I've spent the winters in Florida.

I'm thinking of doing a complete fast with no set limit this year. I'll definitely go two weeks.

I've found that 'fasting' means something different to different people. So, to be clear, when you say 72 hours, 7 days, etc., are you talking about 0 food and just water? What's your definition of fasting?

Thanks, I'm curious.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Zero food, distilled water only.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16029 Posts

Profile of tommy
I have done bread and water as a punishment; Meals consist of a piece of bread and a glass of water. 6 days bread and water means bread and water every other day for twelve days down the block.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3668 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2017, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2017, NYCTwister wrote:

I've found that 'fasting' means something different to different people. So, to be clear, when you say 72 hours, 7 days, etc., are you talking about 0 food and just water? What's your definition of fasting?

Thanks, I'm curious.

Rockwall,

This is an interesting question. in the documentary, they describe "fasting" as ranging from only drinking water to consuming less than 500 calories (for men) or 400 calories (for women). The 5-2 diet they describe where every week you eat normal five days and fast two days, it is a modified fast (500 or 400). In a diet where you are not "fasting" every week, they tend to be water only fasts.

I am doing around 200 to 300 calories on my "fast" days because on those days I am drinking a very healthy blended vegetable and water drink, and for other reasons, I have to take vitamins every day, including my "fast" days.

KJ
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
NYCTwister,

So, from what you wrote, I assume you fast one day a week and basically don't eat anything from the evening of one day until noon of the 2nd day. Can you tell us what benefits you've noticed from doing this over an extended period of time. I'm very interested and I've ordered the book you mentioned.

Thanks.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2017, rockwall wrote:
NYCTwister,

So, from what you wrote, I assume you fast one day a week and basically don't eat anything from the evening of one day until noon of the 2nd day. Can you tell us what benefits you've noticed from doing this over an extended period of time. I'm very interested and I've ordered the book you mentioned.

Thanks.

Basically what I've noticed is an increased level of energy, and sense of well being.
Since starting I hardly notice any aches and pains, always have energy and just feel good.

Before I suffered from chronic fatigue, increased aches and pains...just general malaise.

I'd read the book you ordered and it made sense, so I tried it.

After the first three day fast I felt incredible. Light and full of energy.
My bowels felt empty for the first time I could remember.
(I'd suffered from constipation on and off, mostly on)
Since then it hasn't been a problem.

Keep in mind that it's just a part of a lifestyle change I underwent at the time.

Before that nineteen out of twenty one of my weekly meals contained some kind of cooked meat. Usually red meat, or bacon, or something fried.
Now it's like three out of twenty one, and those are chicken or fish.
I started drinking three liters of distilled water every day, stopped smoking, began exercising and just got serious about not dying stupidly.
I also drink about a quart of fresh juice a day.

It was just a matter of replacing bad habits with good habits.
Simple but not easy.

(In fact a few months ago I kind of went off the rails, gained a lot of weight and ended up suffering chest discomfort. I got back on the rails and have felt like my old self since.)

The book will explain the physiological changes your body goes through during the fast better than I can.
Our bodies are truly amazing.

One thing about the book is that it draws on a lot of Asian knowledge, so it might seem a little esoteric.
I suggest you follow Bruce Lee's advice and
"absorb what is useful to you and discard what is useless."

From what I understand about you, you're a pretty healthy guy, so this will just be an adjunct to your fitness routines.
Basically the healthier you are the less you'll benefit since there will be less garbage in your system than most.

Check out the book and try it for thirty six hours. You won't die and you'll definitely notice some changes in your energy levels and mood.
(Unless you're diabetic, in which case ask your doctor.)
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Thanks.

I would say that I'm 'relatively' healthy but despite regular exercise, my diet is crap and I'm more overweight than I'd like to be. I 'want' to change my eating lifestyle as a complement to my workout lifestyle and I know the two would complement each other immensely.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
It's not about being a health nut for me.
It's just that as I got older I had to make some changes. I didn't make all the changes at once, they just sort of happened naturally.
During the first, thirty six hour fast I was very hungry and was worried I'd pig out when I broke it, so I used the time to plan my diet for the week.
I went grocery shopping and bought a juicer, so I'd be ready.
After a week or so it just seemed incongruous to keep smoking, so that went away.
I doubt you have as many things to deal with, what with the Iron Man competitions and such.

Read the book with an open mind. As I said it flies in the face of what we've been taught, but it works.
As I said you're in better shape than most, so you'll benefit more quickly.
Lmk what you think when you've read the book.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4911 Posts

Profile of landmark
I remember one famous fasting guru wrote, "Any fool can fast, but it takes a wise man to know how to break it." True, I think.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Very true when it comes to very long fasts.

I've never fasted to completion. Going all the way can be dangerous both in knowing when to break it, and how you break it.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3668 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2017, NYCTwister wrote:
It's not about being a health nut for me.
It's just that as I got older I had to make some changes. I didn't make all the changes at once, they just sort of happened naturally.
During the first, thirty six hour fast I was very hungry and was worried I'd pig out when I broke it, so I used the time to plan my diet for the week.
I went grocery shopping and bought a juicer, so I'd be ready.
After a week or so it just seemed incongruous to keep smoking, so that went away.
I doubt you have as many things to deal with, what with the Iron Man competitions and such.

Read the book with an open mind. As I said it flies in the face of what we've been taught, but it works.
As I said you're in better shape than most, so you'll benefit more quickly.
Lmk what you think when you've read the book.

I feel the same way about "It's not about being a health nut". I feel liberated with this diet. Like you, on the days I fast, I actually feel tremendous. On the days I don't fast, I just try to be reasonable. I can still eat pizza or anything else I want, I just try to balance the things I enjoy eating with much healthier choices.

I'm loving this diet, or should I say, this way of life.

KJ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Live to 120! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.38 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL