The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How To Get A Pay Rise (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

GeraintClarke
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of GeraintClarke
Not everyone is a working magician.

Some of you have jobs and I thought this might help you.

FULL POST : HOW TO GET A PAY RISE

http://geraintclarke.com/life-advice/get-pay-rise/

http://geraintclarke.com/life-advice/get-pay-rise/

Let me know what you think below Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20384 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The advice is not wrong necessarily, but isn't it sort of self explanatory?

And I have no idea if you arr "legally obligated" to give your name or not, but refusing to do so will not help the interview prices at all. It will set a bad tone immediately.

Personally I would not want to do that. Only an opinion.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:

And I have no idea if you arr "legally obligated" to give your name or not, but refusing to do so will not help the interview prices at all. It will set a bad tone immediately.

He mentioned not being legally obligated to give your AGE. (I agree, not giving your name would be bad.)

"Half of your determined value by employers comes from age. Something I refuse to give employers during an interview.(You’re not legally required to)"
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I've had to cut back on my past experience to just the last 10 years, as I don't want to scare them off with my age. I do decorate my resume with certifications, but no cartoons as of yet...
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20384 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2017, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:

And I have no idea if you arr "legally obligated" to give your name or not, but refusing to do so will not help the interview prices at all. It will set a bad tone immediately.

He mentioned not being legally obligated to give your AGE. (I agree, not giving your name would be bad.)

"Half of your determined value by employers comes from age. Something I refuse to give employers during an interview.(You’re not legally required to)"


I am sorry let me clarify. Where I live I am not certain if you are "legally required " to give your age. If you want to be paid your social security number IS required. Identity verification is part of many hiring processes. So it seems as if age does come into the picture.

I can't imagine that it is not at least part of the process to give age. I don't see the point in not giving it to tell the truth, much less refusing to do so.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
On the flip side employers seem to be giving increased value to experience.
Maybe they're finding too many young people with degrees who can't actually DO anything.

Maybe.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2017, NYCTwister wrote:
On the flip side employers seem to be giving increased value to experience.
Maybe they're finding too many young people with degrees who can't actually DO anything.

Maybe.


Image
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16030 Posts

Profile of tommy
Smile

What is on the rise is a demand for cheap labour. If you are in a country that demands high wages, then business will either move where there is cheap labour or get cheap labor moved in. So forget the job and start a business made in China.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3679 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
It's not about age or cheap labor. I would hire in a heartbeat someone who I thought would earn me more than they cost me. If you want to get a job or get a job raise, just prove you are worth more than you cost.

kj
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16030 Posts

Profile of tommy
In what fraction of a heartbeat would a businessman hire somebody to do the same job in China for a fraction of the price to earn himself a fraction more?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2755 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
The best way to get a raise is to first prove you are worth it by doing more than you are getting paid to do.
Most don’t give raises on a promise that you will do better. Raises are based on past performance, not on what
you 'may' do.

In hiring, there is a thing called having too much experience; those who have been doing the same thing over and
over for years can be set in their ways and not open to new ideas or change.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20384 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2017, TomBoleware wrote:

Most don’t give raises on a promise that you will do better. Raises are based on past performance, not on what
you 'may' do.


Tom


This one thought is better than the entire article.

Bravo Tom!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2017, TomBoleware wrote:
The best way to get a raise is to first prove you are worth it by doing more than you are getting paid to do.
Most don’t give raises on a promise that you will do better. Raises are based on past performance, not on what
you 'may' do.

In hiring, there is a thing called having too much experience; those who have been doing the same thing over and
over for years can be set in their ways and not open to new ideas or change.

Tom


Unless you work for a government agency, or a union,then seniority matters more than anything.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Dale A. Hildebrandt
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Dale A. Hildebrandt
Improving your situation starts with improving yourself. If you want a pay RAISE, then you might want to know the difference between get a rise out of your employer and getting a raise on your paycheck. Even if English is not your native language, this error is easily checked before writing a blog post with an obvious error. Employers tend to like employees who hold themselves to high standards that said employees regularly achieve and surpass.

===Dale

"Be The Change You Wish To See In The World"
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
English is his native language. I would think that he is from the UK (after all, all of the prices noted on his website are in pounds sterling). And, in the UK the proper expression is "pay rise." It is what Americans call a "pay raise."

So . . . not an error.

Your criticism, however, was.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3679 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2017, tommy wrote:
In what fraction of a heartbeat would a businessman hire somebody to do the same job in China for a fraction of the price to earn himself a fraction more?


This is why we need more of a small business driven economy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How To Get A Pay Rise (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL