The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » FATHOMS (38 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
FJR
View Profile
Regular user
London
129 Posts

Profile of FJR
After reading through much of the manual I'm also very impressed by this. The method is great and the detail put into it - the people and their stories etc. - is mightily impressive. Waiting eagerly for it to make the trip across the seas.

I already plan on using it at some stage after an introductory performance of 'White Star' (I bought some period coins to flesh this out.) And what music will be playing ever so gently in the background? The wonderfully evocative 'The Sinking of the Titanic' by Gavin Bryars, which I was lucky enough to see him perfom live a few years back at the Barbican here in London. Though, for those who know the effect, for dramatic purposes, I don't say what the piece is called until after the 'secret' of the fairly sorted piles of photos is revealed...And then enter 'Fathoms'

Thanks to the creators for a thing of beauty.

Best,
Francis
Flaneur / Gentleman Amateur
Member of the I.B.M - Ring 25
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5175 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
The Sinking of the Titanic is a wonderful piece. Perfectly haunting. Produced by Brian Eno no less.

FJR, I hope you don't mind me posting a link here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oVMRADOq5s
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
TH1
View Profile
Special user
Zombies beware! I have your heads on
587 Posts

Profile of TH1
Quote:
On Jan 19, 2017, WitchDocChris wrote:
This is sorely tempting.....

https://youtu.be/JoqDYcCDOTg
Beware of evil spirits...and depleted batteries! Smile
TheHauntedOne.com
Assembly11.com
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2200 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Quote:
On Jan 20, 2017, TH1 wrote:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JoqDYcCDOTg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Et tu, Brute?
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
revenantproductions
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of revenantproductions
I can't thank you guys enough for your response to this effect. It has been a labor of love for almost a year and Vic did a stunning job bringing this to life. The BC routine plays so well in performance that words really don't do it justice. This has produced very emotional reactions in my show and I hope you all have as much fun performing this I do.

Cheers,
A.S.
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
By time you read this I will have
1540 Posts

Profile of jaizon
Yes, the Prof BC routine is wonderful. (as are the others Smile)
FJR
View Profile
Regular user
London
129 Posts

Profile of FJR
Quote:
On Jan 20, 2017, Wizard of Oz wrote:
The Sinking of the Titanic is a wonderful piece. Perfectly haunting. Produced by Brian Eno no less.

FJR, I hope you don't mind me posting a link here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oVMRADOq5s

Not at all! A gorgeous piece and tremendously evocative. I didn't realise it was produced by Eno of whom I'm quite a fan, so thanks for that. I cannot wait to use it as background for a combined 'White Star'/'Fathoms' performance at some point.

Speaking of which...the book just arrived and it is a thing of beauty indeed. A really lovely thing to 'casually' take off the shelf. I've already noted above that the mechanics are excellent and now it's in hand, I'll go through the rest of the performance suggestions/routines in detail. A beautiful, beautiful thing. Vic has done an amazing job, as usual, and I always love the black paper and string wrapping he uses. Gemini Artifacts are always the very best of gifts (to myself!) to unwrap.

Thanks for sharing the creativity.

Best,
Francis
Flaneur / Gentleman Amateur
Member of the I.B.M - Ring 25
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5175 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Francis, I opened my book and tickets today as well. Yes, Gemini Artifacts does a wonderful job of presenting their props. Opening them is a treat.

The book is magnificent, aged perfectly and a quality production through and through. I didn't think I would like the tickets being sealed in plastic, but now that I see and feel them, it seems totally logical that someone would preserve them in this fashion. A museum certainly would not, but an amateur collector would. And the plastic film makes them easy to handle, and obviously more durable.

I also ordered the switch box from Gemini Artifacts by Mr. Charisse and it is one his best boxes to date (I have quite a few as I am obsessed with boxes). I functions perfectly, but looks innocent and genuinely resembles a period souvenir. The box is designed to be just the right size so the cards fit comfortably, but allow enough room for the performer's fingers to reach in and remove the cards without any fumbling.

Just a sweet kit all the way around. Nice job again GA team!
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
By time you read this I will have
1540 Posts

Profile of jaizon
Quote:
didn't think I would like the tickets being sealed in plastic, but now that I see and feel them, it seems totally logical that someone would preserve them in this fashion. A museum certainly would not, but an amateur collector would. And the plastic film makes them easy to handle, and obviously more durable.

I would not advise trying to pass the tickets off as anything other than an excellent reproduction (which they are). As Vic points out in his instructions, a real ticket recently sold for about $58,000 dollars - a fact easily checked with a quick Google search. But having them in Marc's box and spinning a story about how you got them through some Titanic memorabilia website will fly right by. IMHO

Preston
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5175 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Good points Preston. Thank you for the insight.
salcioppa
View Profile
New user
Columbus, Ohio
81 Posts

Profile of salcioppa
After having worked with Fathoms for awhile I can truly say I love it. When performed in dark lighting, candles, a spirit lamp, rapping noises, you know, pull out all the stops, it scares the heck out of people. I've been using it conjunction with Whitestar as a kind of warm up, and together, they make a great theme for an evenings entertainment. Great job, Vic. This is priceless! If anyone has any ideas about other Titanic themed effects they do, I'd love to hear it. You can PM me anytime.
At a convention of mind readers, a man sees an attractive woman he'd like to meet. He walks up to her and says, "Hello! You're Susan. Who am I?"
steven-gibson
View Profile
Special user
Eastcoastspiritsessions.com
869 Posts

Profile of steven-gibson
What is the image on the flipside of Marc's switch box? The same as the front?
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1214 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
Steve, PMed you ...
steven-gibson
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of steven-gibson
Thank you sir!
steven-gibson
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of steven-gibson
Been working feverishly on my Fathoms presentation. I can not recommend this prop enough. It looks and feels real, aged to perfection and it just makes sense. Aiden Sinclair includes 2 excellent routines and Prof BC included one as well. Great thinking gentlemen, thank you very much! I am pulling elements of all 3 suggested presentations and adding some of my own stuff as well (of course). This is a very workable piece and we all know audiences love Titanic stuff. Fathoms plays perfectly as a follow up effect for White Star. Also, thank you Vic for a perfect "in" to select the spirit. Great props for this are included with the effect (reproduction Titanic tickets). I'm so pleased with Fathoms that I have decided to make it the closer for my new show. A Dinner theater presentation on Connecticut Hauntings. So how does a Titanic effect fit into a Connecticut show? Glad you asked. Turns out one passenger was a CT resident and did not survive the disaster. He will be my contacted spirit and everything is real and Google proof. Heck, now I can encourage folks to Google my contacted spirit (Nice suggestion Aiden). When you order, be sure to add Marcs excellent switch box. See switch box here https://geminiartifacts.com/collections/......itch-box

See FATHOMS here https://geminiartifacts.com/collections/....../fathoms
pawel
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of pawel
I'm seriously thinking of the getting Fathoms. Not sue if this was explained before:

"It contains a complete listing of nearly half of those who perished in the icy waters of the North Atlantic on that horrible night to remember."

I know it's a long shot and no one would ask why there is only half but out of curiosity - is there a reason?
“Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts.”
steven-gibson
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of steven-gibson
The book is a record of bodies collected by HMS Mackey Bennett 10 days after the sinking. So bodies not recovered in that effort are not listed. That is how I would explain it.
bud.scott
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of bud.scott
It's also explained in the performance manual.
Dabbler in the Esoteric
ECSS I,II,III,IV,V
North West Gathering of the Dark Magi II,III,IV,V
Perkins
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of Perkins
April 15th. Any anniversary performances?
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1047 Posts

Profile of reese
Also... the day Lincoln was assassinated, the day of the worst dust-bowl storm.... no wait. That all happened April 14th. The day the Titanic struck the iceberg.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » FATHOMS (38 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL