The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Fifty Cent Coin Source (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Norm
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Norm
Hey everyone. Where can I get a bunch of American fifty cent pieces? I want to learn the Miser's Dream with them and would like around $10-$15 worth of fifty cent coins. Do most major banks carry them if I just walk up to the teller window? Or.. should I call and inquire first? How many come in a roll?

I used to save my fifty cent pieces every time I got a blackjack in Vegas. Years ago I had a large goblet full and should've kept them, but alas, wanted the cash and spent them!
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Rolls come with 20 coins for $10.
Some banks will have them, some won't - they're not in a lot of demand, but people will sometimes hand them in or request them.
Even if the bank doesn't have a whole roll, they might still have a few in their drawer, so it's worth asking.
I'd be prepared try a few banks locally in case the first one or two don't have many.

But to answer the original question - yes, the tellers will be able to help, especially if you ask nicely. Smile

Good luck!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
All like Tonsof said!

You are wise to use half dollars, not "tokens".

I started, in '46 with "Green River Whiskey advertising tokens. (Half dollars were worth a "bit" more, then!)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Profile of Matthew Crabtree
Banks can order rolls for you.
National First Vice President
The Society of American Magicians
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
I've been working on Dick's Miser's Dream routine (if you don't have his book and DVD, they're definitely worth having, not just for magicians who perform for children, but for performing magicians, period), and I've been using Abbott's palming coins, but I tried some half dollars and some Ike silver dollars, and I'm also tending toward using real halves. The sound they make is virtually the same as the Ikes and they're louder than the palming coins. I also think some banks should have them. These days, many people ask for halves at banks because they're looking for the silver ones, which if found tend to be the 40% silver ones from 1967-1970, so there's a little competition when it comes to finding what the banks have on hand.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I started using IKES when they were first minted. I had been using Franklins. With school show audiences numbering in the hundreds, and in some cases, thousands, the IKES were more visible, and, made a louder "clunk"!

Well, I had considered using $20.00 gold coins, but, decided that would be too ostentatious, so, I just use the 20s for tips! LOL!

For most birthday parties, and similar events, half dollars should be more than adequate.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Oh!

A thousand thanks, drhackenbush, for your very kind words about "the" book, and DVD! I am going to save your note about Denny's and your comments about them, to justify my buying a larger hat!
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
My pleasure, Dick! I've shied away from doing the Miser's Dream for decades because it seemed too complicated in the working, and it was watching you and reading your book that helped me really brought it home that it's all about the entertainment and rapport with the kids and audience, and the coins and pail are simply tools to help me entertain and have a good rapport.

When I used some Ikes recently, they seemed too loud, but thinking about it, they would be very good in terms of the audience being able to really hear them, and they wouldn't be too loud for the audience at all. Visually, you're right, they can really be seen.

It's a long shot, but sometimes banks still have an Ike or two lying around, too. The worst that could happen is they'll say " No" when asked if they have any.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2017, Matthew Crabtree wrote:

I hadn't heard that before.

I just walked into a bank, and asked what they had. They were willing to help.
In general, be prepared to keep going back, and to different banks. Just a few days ago I saw one in the coin drawer of a grocery store.

You can also get them online (e.g.; ebay), but you will pay a premium.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
821 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
I have been lucky my bank calls all their branches and gets them to the one. Then I just go in.
Norm
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Norm
Whoa, great information guys. I also didn't know they could be "ordered."

I am saving up to buy Mr. Oslund's book as I heard nothing but good things about it. For now, I'm going to work with Charlie Miller's version as well as Bruce elliots, although that one is a bit more difficult. Either way, I'm excited to embark on this new trick! Smile
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Profile of Matthew Crabtree
Quote:
On Jan 19, 2017, John Long wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2017, Matthew Crabtree wrote:

I hadn't heard that before.

I just walked into a bank, and asked what they had. They were willing to help.
In general, be prepared to keep going back, and to different banks. Just a few days ago I saw one in the coin drawer of a grocery store.

You can also get them online (e.g.; ebay), but you will pay a premium.

Yeah I needed a new batch and asked my teller if she had any, she said she could order some. So, now when I need them I order them and get them about a week later.
National First Vice President
The Society of American Magicians
Norm
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Norm
For what it's worth, I went to my local Chase bank and asked if I could get some 50 cent coins. They had about $7 worth to exchange with me. When I asked if I could "order" more, they said NO. They only carry whatever people bring in. I guess Chase won't order them for you?
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
I've had scant luck obtaining Kennedy halves or Eisenhower dollars at local banks.

I actually had far better luck at large antique malls, some of which sometimes have dealers selling coins of varying degrees of collectability. Just the other day I found one with a big boxful of loose Ike dollars (all gently but definitely well circulated).

Yes, I paid a small premium for them, in that even though they're technically still only worth a buck apiece the dealer was asking $1.60 or so for each one.

But I figured it was worth it, just to finally be able to walk out with a whole half dozen of them all at one go, saving me the time and trouble of continuing to visit banks only to be disappointed and leave empty-handed again and again (or, if lucky, maybe eventually finding just one or two).
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1693 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Norm, My bank as well as others in my area told me the same thing. What I was told the mint stop making half dollars for public use in 2002. But you can buy them from the mint. I just ordered a bag of 200 had to pay a little more than face value for them I guess to cover shipping. Here's the link for anyone who might want to go that route https://catalog.usmint.gov/coin-programs......dollars/

Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Ike are different - they aren't in circulation at all anymore, so are much harder to find. A bank would buy one from you for a dollar (hell - they'd only give you a dollar for a Morgan), most other places wouldn't take them. Kennedys on the other hand are perfectly fine, just less common.

I've heard all sorts of answers from banks. Some have, some don't. Some will order them, some won't. One bank had no loose coins and would only sell me an entire roll - they weren't willing to open it up to just sell me some... which is kind of ridiculous, because if I'd bought it, opened it up in front of them, and then handed half of them back, they would have had to take them back. Fortunately for them, I was OK taking the whole thing.

In the end, the old adage is true - if at first you don't succeed, try again. You might not have any luck at the first bank or two, but one of them will probably be able to help you.
Norm
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Norm
Interesting to hear you guys have had similar luck.

I'm going to look into ordering directly from the mint, as that sounds pretty cool. While I don't need mint condition coins, it would be kinda nice to have them "clean" and shinier than what the bank just gave me.
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1693 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2017, Norm wrote:
Interesting to hear you guys have had similar luck.

I'm going to look into ordering directly from the mint, as that sounds pretty cool. While I don't need mint condition coins, it would be kinda nice to have them "clean" and shinier than what the bank just gave me.

I just got my bag of coins from the mint yesterday. Some where on the site, in the link I provided above, it talks about 2002 was the last year half dollars were released to the public.
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
Escamoteur
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Escamoteur
Good to know that they can be ordered. I was unaware that there were current year ones.

With banks I find it is hit or miss. However my lucky spot locally has turned out to be the power company. When I go to pay my bill (a bit old fashioned and still do it in person), I often spy a couple in the teller's change tray which I then ask for.

Carter
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
Something else to consider might be how well mint-condition half dollars might match up with commercially purchased gaff coins, if you plan on using them together.

An expanded shell or a copper/silver coin made from somewhat worn looking circulated coins with noticeably older dates might stick out like a sore thumb to a keen observer or a sharp-eyed spectator... if that's a concern. Just a thought.
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Fifty Cent Coin Source (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL