We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Matt Mello - The Grey Area (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1567 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2017, JoelDickinson wrote:
Initially I thought 'The lies we tell' was a really clever idea but as I carried on reading it was clear Matts thinking behind this makes it a solid and workable routine. I have had some ideas for this which I am going to share with Matt soon. I am performing at my residency this evening and I will be performing this.

'Nameless' is an original idea, I will not over look this and I will use it this evening.
'Force field' is Very good. It's also hugely interactive and a routine which will engage everybody watching.

I will give honest feedback on Nameless and The lies we tell.

Joel.

What effect is your favourite? And also, can you give more information on force field? T

Thanks

Sleepy 😴
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1296 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2017, SleepyMagic wrote:
Quote:
Initially I thought 'The lies we tell' was a really clever idea but as I carried on reading it was clear Matts thinking behind this makes it a solid and workable routine. I have had some ideas for this which I am going to share with Matt soon. I am performing at my residency this evening and I will be performing this.

'Nameless' is an original idea, I will not over look this and I will use it this evening.
'Force field' is Very good. It's also hugely interactive and a routine which will engage everybody watching.

Joel.

What effect is your favourite? And also, can you give more information on force field? T

Thanks

Sleepy 😴

What kind of information do you want about Force Field?
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1567 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2017, MadisonH wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2017, SleepyMagic wrote:
Quote:

Joel.

Thanks

Sleepy 😴

What kind of information do you want about Force Field?

I just want to know different opinions on force field and if it really is as powerful as everyone is saying!

Sleepy 😴
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1296 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Sleepy, a PM is headed your way.
matthewmello
View Profile
Special user
780 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
"The Grey Area" is now live on Penguin!

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7940
m.o.pfeil
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of m.o.pfeil
Nice publication. I really love the approach behind the mentalism presented. Especially the "Targetting" approach I find highly useful. Thank you sir for this!
I'd rather be read than (w)ri(gh)t(e)
matthewmello
View Profile
Special user
780 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Thanks for your comments, m.o.pfeil!

I'm glad that you found the "Targeting" approach to be useful. It's incredibly versatile. I actually have a LOT of work using it, and not only with psychological forces! Smile
tricky360
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of tricky360
I second what people are saying about Matt's latest release.

To my mind this is probably his best release to date. Excellent thinking, love all the routines in the PDF. Force field is great, a very well structured routine that it is bound to fool those who witness it.

But my favourites are The lies we tell and Which hand. Both use the same principle, which are open to many other applications. Highly recommend.
matthewmello
View Profile
Special user
780 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Thanks for your review, Michael. I've received a lot of feedback from performers about "The Lies We Tell" being their new favorite approach to this kind of work, which is always flattering!
Ross Tayler
View Profile
Regular user
Rugby, England
127 Posts

Profile of Ross Tayler
As ever, Madison has said everything of use better than the rest of us are capable of saying it.

I'll just focus on a few bits I particularly enjoyed.

Firstly, the essays are excellent, my favourite part of the project. TANNE gives some great thoughts on artistic development which I think will be really beneficial to our community if widely read. PP contains some pretty key ideas in terms of understanding what type of material we should be performing, and whilst I don't fully share every conclusion Matt regarding precise effects which can be performed following these conclusions, I certainly think that this is the correct way to think about such things. TAC is a really interesting essay about Matt's creative process. Whilst some of the ideas may seem a little unorthodox, they in fact align very accurately with a lot of research on the psychology of creativity. I've personally never particularly structured my creative sessions, however I may attempt a few of Matt's strategies moving forward.

The Lies we Tell, Which hand and Metal detector are three effect built around variants of the same principle. TLWT is my personal favourite of the three, as it seems like the most natural and deceptive application of the idea. This is a really nice application of a non-physical method which has been played with by a few people, including myself and Fraser, in the past. However Matt has introduced a new dimension to the method which opens it up for numerous possible effects (typically this method is used with a single individual to differentiate between multiple possible thoughts, Matt has shifted it to be used to identify relevant individuals in a group. Very clever.)

Motor Skills is a great effect, and I particularly love the second method. Something odd about Motor Skills is that my first impression was not entirely positive, as the effect seems almost too strong. But then I read Matt's additional thoughts, and given some consideration, I realised that Matt is correct in saying this is exactly how the effect would look to the participant if it was real. If one really went for it on the presentation, and perhaps included some actual hypnotic work to disorientate the participant, I think this could play incredibly strong, and also result in one of the most beautifully elegant and interesting name guesses I've ever come across.

Nameless is one of those things which a few will have considered before, but perhaps thought too bold to actually pull off. This had been my position prior to reading Matt's thoughts, but again the case he makes for it convinced me to change my opinion - this is after all how it would look for real. Thus an idea I had previously discarded has made it's way back into my repertoire (albeit with the stipulation that I personally would never go for a dead hit on the name in this circumstance). This is also a really great illustration of several ideas presented in the essays.

Those are the pieces that really stood out to me personally as the most interesting. As ever I think Matt has produced a work that is really worthy of study, and adopting the thought processes which drive the routines Matt offers will provide one with a tremendous amount of value, even if the routines themselves don't make their way into your repertoire. Matt is one of my favourite thinkers, and its great to have a peak into the thought processes of such an innovative guy.

In conclusion, The Grey Area comes highly recommended!

Best wishes,

Ross Tayler.
matthewmello
View Profile
Special user
780 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Thanks for the great review and compliments, Ross. I've actually had these essays written for a long time, but I didn't want to release them without offering some effects that instilled the beliefs from those opening chapters. I'm happy to hear that you found value in both sections.
Johnsypoppins
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Johnsypoppins
Really like this release of Matt's though he doesn't seem to release anything but great real world material, and this follows that tradition with both great effects and interesting essays.

The only thing I didn't really like from this was Nameless, though its so simple that I'll have a play around to see how it fairs, but my initial feelings are that it's kinda naff... will see though.

The Lies We Tell is straight up fantastic, have seen the idea used in various ways but the way it's woven together here is just great!!
matthewmello
View Profile
Special user
780 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
I appreciate your feedback, Johnsy!

'Nameless' certainly won't be for everyone. I included it only because it fit within the guidelines of my essays, and because I personally enjoy making use of it every now and then when I'm working with a larger group.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Matt Mello - The Grey Area (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL