The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Insane (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
You tube sent me a letter threatening to to block my account for favoring videos they posted.

Hi David Sweeney,
The YouTube community flagged one or more of your playlists as inappropriate. After reviewing the content, we’ve determined that the playlist violates our Community Guidelines. As a result, we removed the following playlist from YouTube:

girls

Please note that this removal has not resulted in a strike on your channel. We encourage you to review all playlists in your account to make sure they are in line with our community guidelines. Additional violations could result in strikes on your account, or even lead to account termination.
For more information please visit the YouTube Help Center.
Sincerely,
- The YouTube Team
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I don't see where this was "insane." I'd have to know what was on that particular playlist.
Although it is true the YouTube does tend to pull first and talk later.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Jan 20, 2017, ed rhodes wrote:
I don't see where this was "insane." I'd have to know what was on that particular playlist.
Although it is true the YouTube does tend to pull first and talk later.

This sounds about right, in its entirety, to me.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
The "girl" playlist was mostly can-can and thirty's burlesque, and anything else that might fit. I can't access it to check. I haven't used it lately. Of course everything on it was posted by you-tube months or years ago.
Yes it is insane that some unidentified stranger can anonymously mess with my private account before I'm even notified.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
It sounds insane to me.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Jan 20, 2017, ringmaster wrote:
The "girl" playlist was mostly can-can and thirty's burlesque, and anything else that might fit. I can't access it to check. I haven't used it lately. Of course everything on it was posted by you-tube months or years ago.
Yes it is insane that some unidentified stranger can anonymously mess with my private account before I'm even notified.

"Your private account" is hosted (for free, I imagine) by unidentified strangers who, unsurprisingly, have guidelines governing the use of the servers. I can't say it rises to my definition of insanity.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Quote:
On Jan 20, 2017, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:

"Your private account" is hosted (for free, I imagine) by unidentified strangers who, unsurprisingly, have guidelines governing the use of the servers. I can't say it rises to my definition of insanity.

Apparently it wasn't YouTube, the unidentified stranger was just that, an unnamed "member of the community"who somehow looked at my play list and decided she didn't like my taste in dancing,although none of it was age restricted or sexually questionable violated copyrights, and I hadn't downloaded any of it myself.If anyone had violated guidelines it was you tube. The tone of the letter is threatening and hostile. Does that fit your definition of acceptable ?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
We live in a world today full of social justice warriors, which in the old days we called busybodies.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:

The tone of the letter is threatening and hostile. Does that fit your definition of acceptable ?

I thought it was neither. I would describe it as polite and vanilla corporate.

Anyway, following up on what Lobo said, what do you expect for a free service?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I think YouTube needs an overhaul in there policy decisions. I got an e-mail saying that I now had one strike against me because I put up someone's copyrighted video.

Weird, the video in question is indeed not mine, and I did not put that video up on You Tube....

What are these guys talking about? I got one strike? Does that mean three strikes and your out?
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I kinda defended YouTube earlier and frankly, I should know better.

There is a video by Doug "The Nostalgia Critic" Walker called "Where's The Fair Use?" In the video, he complains that a couple of his videos were targeted and his channel shut down until the problem could be rectified. Annoying as that would be for you and me, for Doug is was a loss of income that he lives on! He also mentioned other cases that have occurred including one channel of two guys who sit on a couch and TALK about the movie they just saw, no clips, no copyright violation, but because they gave a movie a bad review, the studio made a claim against them and YouTube shut them down until they could provide proof otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC3NIdiZF_E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVqFAMOtwaI

and, he presented an update;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYWNtkls2Jw
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I am a freedom loving fellow but I do not think anything goes. I believe in some censorship. We must draw the line of decency in the sand somewhere. The magic café is good in that way.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2017, ed rhodes wrote:

There is a video by Doug "The Nostalgia Critic" Walker called "Where's The Fair Use?" In the video, he complains that a couple of his videos were targeted and his channel shut down until the problem could be rectified. Annoying as that would be for you and me, for Doug is was a loss of income that he lives on! He also mentioned other cases that have occurred including one channel of two guys who sit on a couch and TALK about the movie they just saw, no clips, no copyright violation, but because they gave a movie a bad review, the studio made a claim against them and YouTube shut them down until they could provide proof otherwise.

He is using them to make a living. Their house, their rules. Why so tough to understand?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
How could YOU be in trouble for listing THEIR video's???????? Smile Smile Smile Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
These days you can be in trouble for wishing people good luck or even breathing. As for what is insane, there are so many things listed as mental illnesses today that we are all in danger of being nutted off for doing anything or even nothing.

Tommy
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:

He is using them to make a living. Their house, their rules. Why so tough to understand?

Because;

a) Their rules are Machiavellian. It seems to be impossible to get a response as to WHY some strike was issued.
b) Their rules are also UNCONSTITUTIONAL! It has been determined that clips of copyrighted material for use in parody or critical uses is legal. You can't therefore set up a rule that you can't do something that has been set up by the courts of the country.
c) Also their rules are arbitrary in that in one case, a channel that was pulled wasn't even USING clips. It was a review show where two guys sat on a couch and TALKED about the movie they had just seen. The studio didn't like the review and tagged the channel. YouTube didn't even investigate, just pulled the channel.

To put it in relative terms for this group. What if someone tagged a magician's channel because "he's clearly channeling demons" and YouTube pulled all your video and seized your income as a result?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
How exactly are their rules UNCONSTITUTIONAL? Which for unknown reasons you felt the need to make all caps.

They can indeed set up those rules for entrance into their site.

The government can not prosecute you, but if I want to have a site with such rules as to not allow it I believe I can.

Concealed carry is constitutional in some parts. But as a business owner I believe I can restrict firearms within my establishment. Please explain to me how this is different? I could be way wrong.

You are free not to use them. You may not understand the rules. They may seem unequally applied. But UNCONSTITUTIONAL is tough to back up I think.

And to be clear YouTube "seized" nobodies income. That is a ridiculous claim and comparison to make. They may have stopped him from earning further income but did they "seize" anything and do they have the power to do so?

Unless you are using the term as one would refer to a "seized engine".
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2017, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:

Because;

a) Their rules are Machiavellian. It seems to be impossible to get a response as to WHY some strike was issued.
b) Their rules are also UNCONSTITUTIONAL! It has been determined that clips of copyrighted material for use in parody or critical uses is legal. You can't therefore set up a rule that you can't do something that has been set up by the courts of the country.
c) Also their rules are arbitrary in that in one case, a channel that was pulled wasn't even USING clips. It was a review show where two guys sat on a couch and TALKED about the movie they had just seen. The studio didn't like the review and tagged the channel. YouTube didn't even investigate, just pulled the channel.

To put it in relative terms for this group. What if someone tagged a magician's channel because "he's clearly channeling demons" and YouTube pulled all your video and seized your income as a result?

b) is not only wrong; it's ridiculous. You have a constitutional right to an abortion; that doesn't mean I I can't set home a rule that says you can't have your abortion in my restaurant. Legal rights do not suggest the right to exercise them wherever you want to.

If the First Amendment is ever repealed, the first law I'm going to push for is a ban on non-lawyers making pronouncements about the law. You have a Constitutional right to a gun; that doesn't mean you can have one on an airplane, or in the White House.

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2017, LobowolfXXX wrote:
If the First Amendment is ever repealed, the first law I'm going to push for is a ban on non-lawyers making pronouncements about the law.

I would also support something like this about medicine and doctors.

It is why my response was riddled with "I believe" and "I could be wrong " qualifiers.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Insane (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL