The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Help with source of a quote (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

LarryD
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of LarryD
After a 30+ year hiatus from the magical arts, I got "the bug" again after retirement and recently re-joined my local SAM Assembly. I've found The Magic Café to be a wonderful source of information, and I should have been taking notes! I'm giving a short address to my local SAM Assembly next month, and I'd like to give proper credit to the magician who coined the phrase, "Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect!" I know I read the phrase in one of The Magic Café's forums, but I haven't been able to find it again. If anyone can point me in the right direction it will be appreciated.
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
That quote is often attributed to Vince Lombardi. Not sure if he originated it.
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
RitalDino
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of RitalDino
I think M. Trouten is right on this one. A lot of people think they quote The Professor, but the few research I've done on the subject point the direction of Lombardi. Maybe he quoted someone else, but he is the oldest source I could find.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I THINK it may be me...
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
Dick, Lombardi may have heard the quote from you ... if you were doing school shows in Brooklyn in the 1920s. But I'm thinking even your illustrious career doesn't stretch back quite that far!
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I was just teasing, Doug! (I should have added a "hee hee" or an LOL!)

It's possible though, that I may have been first to say "PRESTO" to make something disappear! (HEE HEE)
RitalDino
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of RitalDino
Haha, you're hard on yourself, M. Oslund. I'm quite certain you're not that old Smile
Or else you have a real magic secret to explain that :-p
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Well, I'm only 85. --I would have been 86, but, I was sick for a year.... (another gag that kept me off the big time!)
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
What I contribute to the saying is, "Practice doesn't make perfect...Practice makes permanent. Perfect practice makes perfect!"

FWIW

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
When I used that expression, it was when I was talking about a mentor.

A musician, an athlete, a magician, a juggler, or any "performer" may practice for hours, but, if his/her technique is imperfect, he/she is learning "bad habits". A qualified mentor, or coach can be objective and correct the performer's technique, thus producing "perfect" practice.

"Perfect practice, makes perfect"!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Help with source of a quote (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL