The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Magical Shirts & building a magical outfit :) (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
That armband/bracelet is very interesting, friend2cptsolo, where did you find it? Thanks for all your posts. I said this earlier regarding time:

"There's a fine line here, in searching, because I want the outfit to work 'across time'. I want to emphasize my message as relevant throughout the ages and as currently significant, which it is. So, I don't want to get stuck at Woodstock. I want connection, roots, earth, through time and now. So in searching, I want the hippie flower child look- it's rooted, but I don't want it over the top, too much, a distraction.

I need just enough to make it interesting, distinctive. I want current credibility- an authenticity."

I do, though, have a fondness for 1800s, turn of the century, early 1900s, and 70s styles. And "everything old is new again" so that's helpful. Smile
You hit, too, on jacket style in one of your pics and that's something I was searching last night and had found a reference item for. I purchased a jacket today at the local thrift store for $5.00 that's in keeping. Another, for $6.00, I gave to my Mom. Smile Pics to follow when I can get some nice shots. Thanks for picking up the conversation here! I appreciate the posts.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
This was the jacket I found for reference:

Vintage Women Scully sz 14 brown leather suede western jacket coat

Here, I thought maybe I wouldn't want to go with suede, as a naturalist/conservationist, (English always with the "ists"! As magicalaurie, let's say!) and as per the picked flowers issue. Smile At the same time, I do own a suede jacket. The one pictured above would be a vintage item that's being reused. I'm a conservationist, but we all get by with help from each other- we're all connected and effect each other, and acknowledgement of that and appreciation and gratitude is where I'm really at, so suede wouldn't be a deal breaker. The coat I found isn't suede and that's consistent, still. Either way is in character. So, I could do the flowers, but I'd rather do the found feathers, you see?
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
More views of the reference coat:

back detail
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I found that armband- I thought it looked a little Steampunk. Smile
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I'm not doing Steampunk, though. I've taken a look at it in the past and again just now and the problem I have with it is this: "Steampunk is a subgenre of science fiction or science fantasy" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk
I want authenticity and credibility. So, Steampunk won't fly. It's lots of fun and creative but I find it certainly muddies waters so it's just not my cup of tea. Smile
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Are you going for a "timeless/out of time" look?

Up until now, the simple dress, bare feet, feathers in hair, could have been any period from the Renaissance, colonial, frontier, hippie, hippie revival, contemporary or even future periods.

I think that the jacket/outerwear can be tricky. Is that going to be part of your performance costume? Have you considered a cloak, cape or untailored wrap (maybe with some kind of clasp or frog closure)?
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Yes, I guess you could say timeless, or as I've stated "across time". Having some pieces that might be more specifically identified with a certain time period or region would be in character that way, especially if you consider the "everything old is new again" way things are brought back. The "vintage" 70s pieces for example were largely throw backs to earlier styles, as you've pretty well said.

As I've mentioned earlier and on the pants thread, one who walks through the woods in an explorer, gypsy, voyageur style would be in keeping with my character and what I do.

The term "goddess" was issued forth earlier, but I'm really much more grounded and practical than that, I think. I'm not a diva. I like REAL things. I do, though, have passion and determination and imagination, I'm a romantic, and I would call myself an artist, and have done so on occasion, some have called me magical (that's how I got my name Smile ), so mileage will vary depending on your definition of "goddess", I suppose. Smile

The coat isn't necessarily something I'll use. I will take a look cloaks, etc. Thanks for your ideas.

What, specifically, do you mean by the jacket/outerwear being tricky?
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
I think that outerwear - other than very simple wraps - becomes period-specific. For some reason, virtually everybody is wearing the same coat during the cold seasons. Most recently, it is those Canada Goose coats. It becomes very difficult to identify a timeless classic. I don't think I can.

Even the suede jacket you like above looks relatively contemporary.

I was not thinking of an explorer/voyageur feeling for you, but more of a nymph/woodland spirit. Something vaguely ephemeral, feminine, connected to the natural world (something that 'manly men' wouldn't be able to articulate).
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
445 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
Yeah the armband is definitely a little steampunk thing but I thought it looked almost like a functional item an explorer would have but could also just be a jumping off point for a new idea, little accent pieces to the clothing.

Yeah I like that "across time" concept. Do you have like a story arc for your character? Time traveler?
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
That jacket style is a pretty classic one, I'd say. I'd agree the wraps might be more timeless, but they might also be of the time before buttons and sleeves. Smile The coat is practical. For performing, too, I think the coat would be much more practical. Bonus- it has pockets. But as I mentioned, it's in keeping if people are reminded of a certain time and place- I am trying to connect, "across time" as I've said.

The show is nature themed- I've spoken a little about it here, as posted above: https://magicalaurieblog.wordpress.com/

I'm looking for authenticity and credibility across time and now.

I have a woodland spirit, but I'm not a nymph. Smile I like the idea, maybe someone else would run with that, and it depends on your own interpretation and definition Smile , but I'm a real person and like real things, as I said. The jacket would work well with pieces I've already acquired. I'll put up some pics later and compile to update.

All of your points have been valid and interesting, and I appreciate the discussion! So, thank you. Pics to follow. Smile
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
So, here's the coat I picked up yesterday for $5.00 Smile :

bottom pocket

Now, see this top pocket stitched together? This is what people do to women's clothes. What could she possibly need this pocket for? I'm fortunate, though in that there is a real pocket here. Often, women's jackets will have a pocket opening with NO POCKET! Clever Illusion? I don't think so! These pockets will be legitimized by myself shortly- ie. they will be opened! Just like in the good 'ol days! If we're going to have pockets, let's make them real ones, shall we? I say. Smile
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
So, purchases, so far:

$5.00 CAD

$5.00 USD + Shipping

and these pants:

$19.99 USD FREE SHIPPING from Thailand
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I forgot to post photos of the back of the coat earlier, for comparison to the reference item. Here's the back:

The kitten helping in the pic is Irish (Black Irish, get it? Smile ) - one of a couple left for adoption here, of the colony that used to be outside. She's very helpful, as kittens will be. They're so very present and interested in everything it's absolutely inspirational.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
More inspiration! As you may have noticed, I love lace. Most reference items I'm finding on ebay, just FYI. It's a fantastic resource, I think.

Vintage 1920s Cream Tambour Embroidery Lace Net Drop Waist Chemise Shift Dress

magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
VTG 70s 80s LONG Brown boho gypsy festival embroidered dress gown

magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I like red, I think I have at least since they asked us in grade 1 what our favorite colour was Smile .

This is a fantastic dress that would probably be a little small on me. Inspirational reference, nonetheless!

AMAZING VINTAGE 60'S/70'S MAXI DRESS! EMBROIDERED BUST, BUTTON TAPERED SLEEVE

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFg3MTU=/z......GDA/.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjM1/z......GDC/.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFg3NTI=/z......GDC/.JPG
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2017, magicalaurie wrote:

I purchased a shirt I really! like (pre-owned) from a seller in Vegas, a few days ago:

Got this in the mail today, too, and it is very cool, indeed. Very happy with it. I think it will work well for the set.
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Cool threads. On the coat pockets, yeah, I bought a great vest online. Great except the pockets are completely fake. Not too useful for doing magic.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Not that I'm going specifically for this, but I'm a "naturalist", and found this article interesting. A little dramaturgy, then:

https://www.nps.gov/articles/breeches-blouses.htm

I'm interested more in "camp clothes", so I'll be looking into that since I've found the term and it might be helpful in a search. "Wool", "tweed", "wide leg", "vintage pants" have only gone so far, so far. Smile

I'm really looking to build outfits that speak universally, across time. There's lots of freedom in it, but connectedness at the same time.
I'll start to sort things, too, into "Inspiration, Reference, Dramaturgy" and "Owned, Borrowed (in this case, I won't be borrowing, but I do have a couple of things that friends have given me, one in particular that I think I'll be using), Bought."

A couple things I have need very minor repairs, so there's that, too.

And the elusive shoes will be revealed, as well...

I appreciate your thoughts, so please feel free to share them with me. Smile
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Well, I've been looking for something patchwork, and I found it today! Back at the local thrift store, the "Opportunity Shop" Smile

Boiling the kettle a little while ago in the kitchen look what I notice, a little more carefully, with a little more clarity Smile hanging from the window:

:) !
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Magical Shirts & building a magical outfit :) (20 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL