The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Wild Card Replacement Ideas... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1553 Posts

Profile of Cain
Anyone have any ideas on how to acquire multiple duplicates for a Wild Card routine?

It seems the most common Wild Card set is 9S/QH, but I don't know if it's possible to buy a deck that consists of just those.

At first I thought I would buy two one-way decks, then build the gaffs myself. Unfortunately, and in spite of repeated efforts, I am terrible at card-splitting.

My next idea was to buy several Mental Photography/Nudist decks. Naturally, I would make the Wild Card a blank and work them in so they're relatively bald. I am not thrilled with having shorts for the DTs in my routine. I'm also not sure how I feel about using blanks since they're obviously non-standard cards (or in the minds of laypeople, "trick" cards).

Then I thought about purchasing several double-face packs. The problem here, obviously, is that I'd have to buy additional one-way decks, and even then I'd still have a lot of leftover double-facers. I'm not sure what I'd do with leftovers since I don't perform Anniversary Waltz, and the MacDonald Aces cards don't degrade nearly as quickly as my Wild Cards.

There's gotta be a more efficient purchasing route...
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1553 Posts

Profile of Cain
For the point about double-facers, it just occurred to me that I could break several regular decks for the Wild Card, which would give me many, many sets, but it still seems like a sub-optimal solution.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
723 Posts

Profile of ejohn
Madhatter Magic sells Bicycle Wild Card for only $4.50 a set plus postage.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Anyone who has a computer hooked up to a scanner/printer, and some graphics software has unlimited options for Wild Card sets of all kinds. Here are some examples:

Straight Wild Card Rules: Qua-Fiki's "Go Wild Fish" from his "Go Fish Card Tricks" at the Magic Nook.

These Break the Rules: "Qua-Fiki's Wild Reindeer Games" from The Wizards' Journal #23. I believe Qua-Fiki was the first magician to realize that Wild Card doesn't have to end up with identical cards, since his ends with all eight reindeer ( Remember - "On Comet, On Cupid"... etc.?) plus Rudolph. He also played with ending with a full house or royal flush using regular playing card faces.

Then Qua-Fiki printed his own card sets to combine wild card plots themed with other card effects that could be routined together. The wild card plot is revealed in "More Bunny Business" from The Wizards' Journal #25, but other tricks using the same bunny designs are scattered throughout that issue of WizJ #25. As always, Qua-Fiki suggests other possible themes beyond bunny rabbits into which his tricks could evolve.
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1682 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Cain, go to makeplayingcards.com and create a deck of any combination that you want, you can even use graphics in some the cards. I have used them several times
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1553 Posts

Profile of Cain
Thanks for all of the kind suggestions.

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Taking a few steps further down that road, folks from Fred Kaps onward including Steve Dusheck and Bob Farmer have taken the trick forward to use something other than just a packet of identical cards. Bob may still be selling his "Headhunter" routine which is an eye-opener for exploring the magical effect.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Ebay
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Jan 27, 2017, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Taking a few steps further down that road, folks from Fred Kaps onward including Steve Dusheck and Bob Farmer have taken the trick forward to use something other than just a packet of identical cards. Bob may still be selling his "Headhunter" routine which is an eye-opener for exploring the magical effect.

Do you have a reference for the Dusheck handling? In one of his books or the UPCT?
Stefanowicz
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Stefanowicz
Card-Shark can help you with custom prints and packet tricks:

http://www.card-shark.de/index.cfm?lang=en
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2231 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
Tamed Cards by Tommy Wonder is now available thru Card-Shark. Im saving up for this and can't hardly wait to get it. Oh it comes with 4 sets as described by Tommy Wonder on his Visions of Wonder DVD set
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Wild Card Replacement Ideas... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL