The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Help with stage illusion routines (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

vj022
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of vj022
Hello,

I've asked about this about 3 years ago, and figure I might try once again. I have spoken to other magicians and the suggested to try here again since they mention that the illusionists here could assist with what I am looking for.

I have designed different illusion routines and I'm looking for illusionists to try out some routines I have designed, I don't mean on stage, I am looking for rehearsal of the routine (I know that some magicians say that the routines are not their style, which could be true, all I'm asking is for you to test out a routine, video it and forward me the video)

If you have any of the following illusions and are willing to test out some routines, please email me at vj022@aol.com

CubeZag
Origami
ZigZag Girl
Modern Art
Thin Model sawing
Wakeling Sawing
Mismade Girl
Op Art
Compressed
Bisection
Stretcher

Thank you in advance

Vinnie
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I take that you do not have these illusions, thus your question. You say, "all you are asking" is a very big task for any working illusionist. I believe you are not getting a response because most illusionist work for a consulting fee, and you I don't see where you are offering payment for their "work" for you.

I can only suggest you can do this yourself, by simply purchasing, leasing, or renting the illusions and this should answer your own desire of what you may think is a good routine and presentation. After all, you will be the one to be benefit from the hard work. Whatever that may be for you.

The Café motto of "Magicians Helping Magicians" is through advice and giving information to those seeking advice. It does not mean they will do your work for you, to gain any rewards you seek.

Tony Clark offers consulting a service and has worked in Las Vegas for a number of years, you might contact him and get his advice on your routines. He charges a reasonable fee for his expertise. I would not think that would include physically performing your routines you have developed.

Hope this helps you see that what you are asking is beyond the services of the Café.
vj022
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of vj022
Bill,

I agree about the "Magicians helping Magicians" and the consulting services, but it seems that it's more of a (for lack of a better term), "ego" thing. If the Café is set up as a "Magicians helping Magicians" (which is something I believe advances the art more than anything else) then the ego and monetary should not supercede assisting other magicians. It seems that some magicians feel that they don't want other magicians to succeed. If it was for me to gain reward, the reward would really be for both, which would give the magician rights to do the routine (getting the routines copywritten). I have spoken to other magicians and said that there might be some magicians here willing to help out, and even some who are sick and tired of doing illusions in the standard way, ways that not only magicians see over and over and over again, but so do the audiences. The routines give a fresh look on the classics and some newer ones.

If there are any magicians I have spoken to in the past and would like to comment about endorsements, please post your experience and let other magicians know about some of the routines and my background (which spans over 30 years).
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Hello Vinnie,

I will try to turn it the other way...

What is your goal by asking others to test your presentations ? What are you going to do once they tested them and gave you their video shootings and feedbacks ?

Why do you need a video shooting ? Couldn't you just ask a few illusionists to test your presentation and give you written feedback ?

Why don't you just put all your presentation ideas together in a booklet and sell it ?

Thank you in advance for ur reply.

Oliver.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2017, vj022 wrote:
Bill,

It seems that some magicians feel that they don't want other magicians to succeed.

If there are any magicians I have spoken to in the past and would like to comment about endorsements, please post your experience and let other magicians know about some of the routines and my background (which spans over 30 years).

It is not that they don't want others to succeed, it is that they are busy with their own clime to the top in this profession. There are many ways to enter the entertainment field, just no direct route to breaking into the business. What worked for one person will not necessarily work for others. Many cannot even tell you how it all happened.

Your last sentences seem to take it that we know who you are, that may be a big factor in getting what you desire. Are you known in some fields, 30 years is a long time, and someone should know you. Are you a famous choreographer of sorts.
Zakari Asiago
View Profile
Regular user
Panhandle of Florida
183 Posts

Profile of Zakari Asiago
I have spoke with this young man. it was obvious to me that he has little or no idea of the methods of the illusions. his routines were either not possible or impracticable.
Zakari Asiago

401 South Ave.

Fort Walton Beach, FL 32547
vj022
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of vj022
Zakari,

are the routines impractical for you or impractical for magicians? As far as the mechanics of the illusions, all of the routines are designed to use the routines as they are normally performed, it's just the presentation done on stage.

I spoke to you over a year ago about a mismade routine I designed. You didn't think the routine could be done with the mismade you have. I have spoken to other magicians and they love the effect and routine, and also confirmed that it is possible. I have forwarded a manuscript to some magicians with a set of 14 illusion routines, all of which are possible.

I am going to call you out, since you called out my experience, I want you to post what you claim as me "not knowing any methods" of the illusions. I might have more experience with the illusions than you claim. I want to know what you claim as obvious?
vj022
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of vj022
Oliver,

The test and video are for my to confirm that the presentation is "believable", meaning the illusion routine looks like it could be done live (hence no Angel treatment). The video is for my (and the performer's) reference to look over. Think about it, if you create something, but can't see it (I wasn't looking for a consultation fee, I was giving the idea for free before I write a book of the routines) what good is the idea?

I am in the process of writing a book of the routines. I do have a copywritten manuscript, dating back to 2012 with some routines (which I would be willing to share for nothing if anyone can try them out).
EStorey
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of EStorey
I normally do not post, but I have to make a comment. Any of us that do Illusions usually build our own routines for what we feel works best for our own type of show and personality. Taking the time to work out and film a routine just to see if it works is, sorry to say, a waste of our time if doesn't fit our shows. I, myself do not believe there is a "plug and play" routine that fits. Also, if you want to know if it works build a mock-up of the illusion as we would do and run through it videoing yourself and you will see how it looks. There are so many variables to a routine ( music, prop design, back drops, mood you are going for ) to just read through it and do it! Especially if you want to do them right
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I think if vj considered his idea in a different light.

Let's say you approach an actor and ask them to try on a persona for an exercise. Maybe they would and maybe they would ask why.
Using illusions becomes complicated when pushing around boxes and getting your assistant to play along and don't forget the technical aspects or changing the music you like.

Most illusionists have developed a persona they are comfortable with and physically move in their own way making their performance theirs.

On the other hand, if you yourself made a good video of a routine, some illusionists would learn from, adopt aspects or copy the entire routine because they could then appreciate that the routine already works.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I own and perform over half of the illusions listed. My routines have taken years to develop and perfect. They represent who I am and what I want to say every time I step on stage. My illusion team continues to invest countless hours rehearsing these illusions on a regular basis because each of us are equally committed to conveying the "story" that is our show. I would not feel comfortable performing someone else's act or routine. I likely would not be able to do it justice since I wouldn't have that same sense of "ownership" over the routine. Even to come close to doing it justice, my illusion team would need to invest a significant amount of rehearsal time to get the routine up to speed. And then, afterwards, we would need to re-rehearse our original routine so we can "forget" the other one. A

All of this time and energy translates into a significant financial cost for me. Space needs to be rented for the rehearsals. Assistants need to be paid. Regular rehearsals need to be put on hold. That's asking a lot. And no .... a professional illusionist will not simply perform the routine without the requisite rehearsal and have it videotaped. That would not be representative of the quality of work with which any of us would want to be associated.

Of course, all of this is just my personal opinion, based on the way I approach my show.
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Help with stage illusion routines (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL