The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Never forget the fourth ball! (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

HenryleTregetour
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of HenryleTregetour
Hi all,

This morning I had the opportunity to do a cup and balls routine for some co-workers. As this is the third time I have ever done C&B in front of people (and the first time in about three years), I decided to do a "self-working" routine, ie. a routine relying primarily on the "inertia move." So I laid out my three cups and three balls. And then I was about to start, and . . .

I HAD FORGOTTEN THE FOURTH BALL!!!!

It was in my pocket. As this was a very forgiving audience, I asked them to turn around while I got out the ball and placed it under a cup. I had come up with an entertaining routine, written it out, etc. But with that goof, I lost my concentration, proceeded with a routine that at one point was falling apart. Fortunately I did recover, and the end of the routine went really well, the audience was amazed, and I received my applause.

So, I have learned a very important lesson. NEVER forget the fourth ball!

HLT
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
There's a fourth ball?
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
HenryleTregetour
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Of course!

When you do a four cup routine! LOL

HLT
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
That's why you always take it out and put it away, the same way, every time.

It's all part of the routine. Just not a part the audience knows or cares about.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
RitalDino
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of RitalDino
I had the same type of experience with a [ coins accross. Got the coins out, began my patter, realized I didn't have the [. It was always on the same stack as the other coins, no idea what happened but it stayed in my wallet...

I since get them out the exact same way every time. It feels less casual to me, but the specs do not know I always do it that way so who cares ;-)

Never forget an important prop when beginning a routine, even if it doesn't exist to the specs :-P
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
I have always carried a small black drawstring bag (it's actually one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rosewood-Pet-St......QFN319E2 ) that lives inside the bag with my cups. It has a full set of bals in there, spares. Another important tip is to rotate them so they all get used the same. If you lose one and replace it, it needs to look identical.

Bri
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
There are routines that only use 3 balls too (one example, the Ken Brooke routine), having this as a back up is useful Smile
HenryleTregetour
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Thanks guys for the advice.

HLT
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
You should also get used to thinking on your feet. When you realized you goofed, you could have found a way to make it work and the audience wouldn't have noticed. When they have to turn around so you can fix something it breaks the illusion that what you are doing is real. They of course know it isn't, but what makes magic so great is that they feel like its real while they know its not. That conflict is what creates amazement. When they have to turn around it breaks the emotional belief in your magic.
Reality is a real killjoy.
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Easy fix.

Three balls on table or on cups.
And then you realize, ONE IN THE POCKET (Uh oh).
Take one of the balls make it vanish and lift cup saying, "Look it's now under the cup."
"It's not?"
Place cup back down loading ball under cup.
Reach in pocket. "Oh, I meant it's in my pocket."

And now you're set.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
HenryleTregetour
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Quote:
On Feb 16, 2017, ZachDavenport wrote:
You should also get used to thinking on your feet. When you realized you goofed, you could have found a way to make it work and the audience wouldn't have noticed. When they have to turn around so you can fix something it breaks the illusion that what you are doing is real. They of course know it isn't, but what makes magic so great is that they feel like its real while they know its not. That conflict is what creates amazement. When they have to turn around it breaks the emotional belief in your magic.

Zach,

I agree with every word you said. It was a beginner's mistake, and my inexperience and lack of concentration were causes. Of course, it is said that making mistakes is the best teacher. I will say that once things got underway, the feat was well received, especially the ending.

Thanks,

HLT
HenryleTregetour
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

EVILDAN,

Thanks for the advice.

I will say that over the past two months I practiced the cup and balls quite a bit. Part of the practice has been viewing the Michael Ammar videos, and from them I have learned quite a few useful manipulations. And I am improving rather quickly! In the future I will have a much broader repertoire from which to draw next time something unexpected happens.

HLT
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Never forget the fourth ball! (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL