The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Has Amazon killed the Brick and Mortar Magic Shop? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
He didn't make any presumptions. He related a story.

I believe his last line implied that all dealers are following the lead of the guy in the story
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
On the other hand, living in NYC, I've gone to Tannen's many times.

They seem to have really merged the two ways of doing business.
The last few times there were many more employees than you would expect. Certainly more than were needed for the foot traffic. Most seemed to be filling orders for their online site.

Nonetheless, the guy behind the counter was friendly and patient, and was willing to show me a few things even though I indicated that I wasn't going to buy them.

Small businesses, whether a single store, or small chain face many difficulties beyond just the effect if the internet.
For instance when the lease was up after ten years the landlord raised the rent from 25K to 75K.
It's now a Chipotle.

I've known a few people like my former boss. They know what's worked, possibly for a very long time, and they don't want to accept it when it stops working.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I think the editor of that video did a horrible job... after all he is the one that cut the cheese.

We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6015 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On Jan 31, 2017, Salguod Nairb wrote:
You may have seen on another section of the forum about a brick and mortar shop facing a financial crisis.

In the movie "Other People's Money" starring Danny Devito he gave a very apt speech, perhaps some of you recall it. I only mention it because it sprang to mind when I read about the situation.

I thought I could buy something from the shop to boost its sales and their prices are comparable to Amazon, but the shipping cost stopped me.

Just to be clear this isn't a slam on the brick and mortar owner, just an observation about the age of Amazon.

I could always use spare 3d Rabbits and $15 is a fair price. Same price on Amazon, however, the brick and mortar wanted to charge me $6 for shipping while Amazon offered free shipping.

Now back to the Danny Devito movie. Is this another situation of the Buggy Whip argument?

For the record I love going to brick and mortar shops, but my location sort of make that difficult and Amazon really knows how to Woo you.

Thoughts?
Don't you have to Spend $50 to get the Free Shipping?
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2017, motown wrote:
Don't you have to Spend $50 to get the Free Shipping?

Not since I switched to Prime, but even before it was only like $35 minimum order to get free shipping.

Prime is $10.95 a month I think... but I have received over $200 worth of goods for free and have been given a free month of Prime due to issues with my order.

Amazon really goes out of their way to make you happy and they ship to APO's.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16251 Posts

Profile of tommy
The internet is no good for finding that which nobody knows.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Hermit
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of The Hermit
If you go back to my heyday of magic shops - 60s/70s it was still hard for them to make money. Most all rented costumes or stocked lots of jokes and novelties. The market for magic is small. In my city, Memphis, there was one shop and it never made money on the magic. In large cities, you could support two or three. Kids today don't think of brick and mortar. They think online. That's where they learn, that's where they buy and will buy. The brick and mortar shop was often more a labor of love than a business. Given the costs of having a business today with all of the regs, taxes and whatnot, it's hard to do something for the love of it. How we acquire and learn magic has gone online. It will never go back. Good or bad, who knows?
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2598 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Physical retail stores fail regularly no mater what they sell. That's just a fact. Many people who want to own a business don't understand how to get people through the door and buying things. The specific niche of a magic store just makes it all the harder.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3918 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
The success of B&M magic shops is going to depend upon their location. In the Los Angeles area, we have The Magic Apple. It is in a great location, in the middle of a large population with a large number of magicians. It is a great store, the owner is a great guy, many very successful magicians are there regularly, their prices are good, no hassles with shipping, etc.

Every time I'm in there, I ask him how business is going. So far, he is doing well. In fact, a few years ago he expanded his shop by doubling the size.

I am constantly promoting his business with my magician friends

Hopefully he continues to do well.

kj
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I think B&M will remain as long as the owners are receiving income elsewhere.

I've been practicing for years in hope of becoming a surly magic shop owner one day...
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I ordered some beginner magic for my niece from Penguin this weekend. Never ordered from them before and I rarely buy anything except from auction sites these days.

I was pleasantly surprised to receive a video of them packing her magic tricks. It was a nice added touch.

I'm sure you folks are fully aware of this service, but it was new to me and allowed me to send the video to her to add to the excitement.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1372 Posts

Profile of lynnef
My local magic shop has evolved over the years. The owner makes ends meet nowadays by doing online business as well as sponsoring lectures, magic shows etc. He simply couldn't break even without these extras. This just reflects how the market has changed over the years. I certainly appreciate interacting with the owner whenever I drop by. He knows my specialties, shows me tips, etc etc. I feel lucky to live close enough to drop by every couple of weeks, aware that relatively few people have that convenience. Another benefit of brick and mortar is the ability to 'shop' and examine effects close up. However, I also buy magic online as well if I know exactly what I want. Nothing to feel guilty about; it's just evolution... and skyrocketing rent. Lynn
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Shopping online is very convenient, but I must say I really miss the old brick and mortar shops. In the old days it was wonderful just to spend time hanging out. The demonstrators would demo new stuff, you could ask questions about props on display, and you could peruse all the books until you decided which one to buy. You’d meet other magician shoppers and share ideas, and hear the latest gossip or information about upcoming lectures & conventions. Very often a “name” magician would show up. That was always very exciting because they’d perform their latest inventions and/or give you tips on handling, etc. Haven’t had that experience in years, and I really miss it.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20567 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have never been an online magic shop fan.

Just a couple weeks ago I saw someone here part a beef with Penguin. Seemed a bit odd.

Penguin came on, went WAY above and beyond with customer service. I was impressed.

I will buy from them now, though I don't buy much. The customer service is extraordinary.

I always thought that was the part lacking. I was wrong. You still can't hang out and do all that cool live stuff no doubt.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I read that thread Danny, I too thought Penguin went above and beyond the call of duty to make him happy. Though, IMO he didn't appreciate it and was still being critical.

That is why I gave them a try.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20567 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yes it was strange he didn't seem to appreciate it much at all. But in the end it seems as if they gained a couple of customers so that is a net benefit.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
The interesting thing is that Penguin (when you buy $50+ and get free shipping) was still cheaper than Amazon using prime.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2598 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I'm pretty sure that a lot of places that participate with Amazon Prime adjust their prices a bit upwards to compensate for the lack of shipping cost.

I will also say Penguin is one of the only magic stores I regularly purchase from.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20567 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Actually most don't.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1873 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
You did it!
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Has Amazon killed the Brick and Mortar Magic Shop? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL